distribution Alternatives to iTunes and Amazon Video Direct?

I'm looking for an alternative online movie viewing service besides iTunes and Amazon Video Direct. Is there a small independent site that pays you revenue per stream?

The online release of features or short films are very important.
Here are some places I know. If anyone wants to add more websites or locations to release films on please feel free.
-Youtube
-Bitchute
-Godtube(only accepts films with morals and life lessons tho)
-Dailymotion
-Amazon
-Vimeo
-Make your own website and put it on there (simplesite is good, can make a website for free.) or somewhere else
-Facebook
-Instagram (trailers only however)

Those are the online platforms I know to release feature films or short films. Trailers too can be released on all.
Yeah I’d love to know if there are more places to release on.

And don’t forget the success of your film in the film festivals and completions will also affect how many people search it up afterwards.

How did you get on with filmhub? Do you know if they have a filesize restriction or how they deliver the video to other platforms? (Do they compress.)

I made a 4K feature, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let that extra effort go to waste by uploading in a badly compressed SD/HD copy.

Filmhub is fussy about quality, and wants the biggest file size you can send them. They will also require captions., and various sizes of artwork. (They will give you the specs). After you upload your film, you should hear from them in about a week. Your revenue from Filmhub will be based on where they can place your film....Amazon Prime, cable TV, AVOD, etc.
Their site pretty much has all the information. http://filmhub.com Our films have all gone to various AVOD sites, mostly Hulu, so you need a ton of clicks to make any money. But for us, that's OK because our main goal was simply to have our films seen, and not worry about the money part of it. Personally, I would suggest that you put your film on Amazon yourself. It's free, it's easy, and you won't have to share your revenue with Filmhub or anyone else. BUT, if you simply don't want the hassle of dealing with the details, Filmhub will do all the legwork for you for free.

Thanks for that. I am same as you, not particularly worried about monetary gains. Just want it to be seen, or at least somewhere I can point people to.

Do you know if your film gets an IMDB page automatically if it gets on Amazon? Even through filmhub? That would be ideal as well.

The only thing that worries me about doing Amazon myself, is that you hear about people's films being taken off unbeknownst to them after Amazon changes a policy or something. And as my film is psychological horror with some blood and guts, it seems like that sort of thing could possibly happen, but I guess you don't know unless you try right?

The only thing that worries me about doing Amazon myself, is that you hear about people's films being taken off unbeknownst to them after Amazon changes a policy or something. And as my film is psychological horror with some blood and guts, it seems like that sort of thing could possibly happen, but I guess you don't know unless you try right?
Amazon has been purging lots of titles. And when they do, they don't give a SPECIFIC explanation why. Just more of big tech censoring content that doesn't fit the left wing, progressive agenda.

Filmhub seems like a cool resource. There isn't much "legwork" for them to do after you provide them all the stuff required. Their rules seem to match those of Amazon and other sites they submit to.

Now if there was a site that combined distribution WITH marketing... That will be the bees knees.

Last edited:
Well I would say an even better method to get your film “seen” and not just make money but more importantly get it seen by tens of thousands of people the easiest rout is facebook promotion. Just put your trailer up and input some money into promoting it for a few days and you’ll get 10K plus views. If you input a few hundred then it’ll go up and up. It’s ghe easiest route to getting yourself known for a little amount of cash.
So do you wanna just put your films on amazon and stuff and hope to get people to buy it or would you rather get tens of thousands of views, reviews, comments and exposure on YouTube and Facebook. It’s your decision but this is just my opinion what’s yours? Facebook promotion does cost you but so does everything in this industry.
A small price to pay for salvation.

Last edited:
The promotion is simple, they put the trailer in people’s front page as an advertisement if you will. It’ll be the first thing they see. Based on your thumbnail and if the trailer is interesting they will press the link of the trailer and it takes them to YouTube. Or if the video is on Facebook itself they’ll just watch it there. Speaking of which I have a Teaser Trailer to my movie here for you to see. I haven’t promoted yet as I’m waiting to promote the final trailer.
I’d love comments of feedback on what u think

I'm going to give FilmHub a go, already started going through the process.

BTW captions you can do on your own with the help of YouTube's caption adding software. Just upload a blank (black video) version of your film with just audio. Type in your captions then export your .srt file.

To follow up on this, if anyone else wants to know how to do this:

Upload a private version of your video and wait for a few hours/next day.
Once you come back you should (hopefully) have automatic captions set up by YouTube themselves. Who use A.I to create subtitles on all videos. My 94 minute film had them added within 6 hours.

You can then go in and edit their subtitles, using their easy to use subtitle editor.

They won't be that accurate, but if you have good quality audio, you'd be surprised how much they get right. And all the timings are pretty good, so saves loads of time over writing it yourself.

Took me about 5 hours to re-write their subtitles to my OCD specifications. I'd say that's probably about average, my film is 50/50 internal/external, the internal scenes all the subtitles were generated 90% perfectly. The outside was more like 50%.

Then I downloaded the SRT file and uploaded that to FilmHub. Luckily as well, I have a friend who works as a translator, gonna see how much he'll charge me to make some copies in other languages, may as well!

My feature film has passed their quality control stage and is now being offered to all the channels.

There are two types. Curated meaning the channel chooses whether or not to accept the film and uncurated, these accept everything. Vimeo and Amazon are both uncurated, so with any luck they should be live within 2-12 weeks.

The curated channels will take a bit longer to decide, but essentially if I've not seen them pop up as delivered/live in my FilmHub account within 6 months, then they've not accepted the film.

Either way I'm pretty happy right now, looking forward to it being out there and available. Hopefully Vimeo at least will offer 4K too.

Back