Alcove Audio's Birthday Present

Dear Alcove,

I found a birthday present for you. :bday:

http://www.rodeuniversity.com/with_ric_viers

Ric Viers, author of the "Sound Effects Bible" goes over location sound recording, VO recording, ADR, SFX recording, Foley recording, etc. etc. etc.

Basically, he says in 10 great tutorial videos what you try to tell 3000 newbies a year - that's gotta be hard on your hands and keyboard.

Anyway, there you go.

Happy Birthday!

- ROC

September Fools!!!

It's not really his birthday (I don't think, anyway)

I just wanted to give him a present that he so desperately needs: Videos to tell newbies who come to this board with questions like "What is a microphone?" and "Can I make my movie sound good for 10 dollars?"

He answers these questions tirelessly, and his unwavering determination to help newbies out is awe-inspiring and motivating. He has more patience than Kaiser Permanente, and has helped countless newbies realize it takes more than 100$ to make a short Zombie film sound better.

Hehe. :)

Here is more information about the videos:

Ep 01: Location Sound Recording (NTG-3) - This week Ric Viers, author of The Sound Effects Bible, demonstrates fundamental techniques for recording dialogue and environmental audio on location.
Ep 02: Location Sound Recording (Indoor Dialogue) - In this episode Ric explores options for getting the best audio when recording dialogue indoors. Whether it’s in tight spaces or sporting venues, Ric has the tips and tricks to help you get the best…
Ep 03: Camera Microphones - Getting good quality audio is often a struggle with consumer camcorders and even digital SLRs. In this episode Ric explains how to maximise your sound when using on-camera microphones.
Ep 04: ENG Recording - ENG (Electronic News Gathering) is the staple work of many audio professionals, and possibly the most demanding. From ‘one man bands’ to full ENG teams, Ric gives you the advice you need to run…
Ep 06: Voiceovers and ADR - In this episode Ric covers the best approach for recording high quality off screen dialogue for voiceovers (VOs), as well as his personal tips for getting best results from talent when using ADR (automated dialogue replacement).
Ep 07: Foley Recording - Foley artists add depth and reality to a scene, creating sound effect overdubs that supplement the dialogue and score. In this episode Ric shows how to record and perform foley like a pro!
Ep 08: Studio Sound Effects Recording - The creation of sound effects is Ric’s home turf. From headline effects like car crashes and bone breaks to subtle environmental sounds like door opens and falling debris, RØDE University lets you in on the industry secrets.
Ep 09: Location Sound Effects Recording - In the second part of Sound Effects Recording, Professor Ric takes the gear out of the studio and gets his hands dirty recording a car-by on location.
Ep 10: Semester Wrap-Up - School’s almost out, but before you leave be sure to check out the semester wrap-up, where Ric gives his all time top ten tips for broadcast recording. This is an episode not to miss.

Last edited:
Ric is great; he's a regular contributor to the Sound_Design and Sound_Article_List forums and author of the terrific "Sound Effect Bible."

And you're a few months late for my birthday.

My birthday is coming up...but Id rather have Neumann than Rode...and a U47 suits my voice well...it is expensive but if every member chipped in just a lousy $100 this can be possible...I thank you all in advance :)

Dear Alcove,
Basically, he says in 10 great tutorial videos what you try to tell 3000 newbies a year - that's gotta be hard on your hands and keyboard.
The Shure website also has hundreds of videos...its great to look at this stuff because not only mic choices are important...but also how you point the things...and then there are mic preamps...how you pan the tracks in the soundstage to follow your actors voices...ways to create sounds using foley tricks...mixing surround...ceating reverbs to add spacial effects to your surround tracks.

Im getting a headache...lol.

I really got to add that there is a new program that added Sequoia 8 track audio as a free plugin...and is as powerfull as any program Ive ever used on a MS computer for under $300...anybody else using Magix pro2?

Back