After effects workflow question

If I want to have an effect (like vignetteing) throughout an entire video, does it make sense to do it on individual clips, or apply it to the final edit? I have some fiddly, vocals to line up.. so it would be helpful if I could render on the final edit. ...but, I don't want to create a monster that I can't render.. The entire video is 3mins, and weighs 35 gigs or so.

Thanks!

If I want to have an effect (like vignetteing) throughout an entire video, does it make sense to do it on individual clips, or apply it to the final edit? QUOTE]

For sure do vignetteing in FCP/PP or whatever but not in After Effects. As much as you can keep AE clear and free! Use AE for effects you cannot create with your NLE program. If your NLE program doesn't have a vignetteing effect make one in PhotoShop then insert in the NLE.

I'm an expert AE user. What you want to do is to -

create an adjustment layer,

add the vignette effect of your choice to that layer, (default AE vignette available via effects search)

Bring it in and out as needed via the opacity controll of the adjustment layer.

Toggle off the adjustment layer for test renders. It's a good idea to use adjustment layers for any superficial effects, because of the great speed increase in test prints and workflow with the layers turned off, and the ease of flipping a single switch to fully effect your comp for final render.

The advantage to effecting clips individually is for independent customization. You won't need that for vignetting.

Ahh.. Cool, seems like there are a couple ways to skin this cat. .. This is going to be a music video and I have several performances that I am lining up to one master audio track.. Then I am editing by cutting to different performances. If i can't render across the whole video, I am worried my lips sync quality will decay.

Back