After Effects- Need Help!

Hi all,

I've recently started using After Effects, and I'm having a lot of trouble with the learning curve. I'm relatively experienced with editing in Vegas Pro but the workflow of After Effects is an entirely different ballgame. I'm testing some stuff out for a future film, and I need help on two things involving muzzle flashes.

1- I understand the concept of overlaying a muzzle flash image onto the Vegas timeline instead of using the After Effects route. I've got a good muzzle flash image that I found on the internet (just to test it out) but I can't figure out how to remove the muzzle flash from the black background of the image. I know this is probably basic stuff but I'm not an expert in Vegas by any means. If anyone could teach me how to do this or link me to a tutorial that would be awesome.

2- Similar deal with this one, except I'll be using After Effects for this. I downloaded some free muzzle flash stock footage from Detonation Films, but I can't figure out how to use it in After Effects. I know how to draw a (crappy) muzzle flash in After Effects but the stock ones are easier and look way better. All the tutorials I've seen teach you how to draw a muzzle flash, not put a stock one onto the timeline. Again, if anyone has a link to share with me or just walk me through the steps on how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it.

I know this is basic stuff for you experienced editors, but I'm still learning here. Thank you very much in advance.

If your muzzle_flash image is against black bg then just place it on a layer above your video layer and turn the layer style to Multiply...that should do it. While learning AFX think of it as Photoshop with a timeline and it gets easier...

This should help , ( after the video finishes their is a link on How to muzzles )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nQzs48Tt9U

EDIT : Sorry that should be Screen not Multiply...

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'm going to watch some Video Copilot tutorials when I get the chance. I downloaded blood and a few muzzle flashes from Detonation Films yesterday and browsed the site, they've got some awesome stuff.

if your footage background is flat black you can place your muzzle flash footage above your gun or whatever and just use Add or Screen mode for your flash footage it will remove your all flat black background pixels.

if you want to create own flash its really easy just start with solid white or any other color and mask according your required shape and than use some father and apply glow and finally use some mode like add or screen that's it..

If you have any trouble with After Effects just know me.. I've been using since 2002 so may be I can help you

Back