AE clip compression settings?

Hi guys, I'm rendering my clips in Lossless AVI at the moment.. and it's eating up my space at an alarming rate. I need a pro's opinion of what good settings are for clips. I have spent hours testing, and my results are marginal.

All the best,
R

Choose Quicktime then choose either of these codecs:

Less compression/Higher Disk space: Animation
More Comression/Less Disk space: jpeg 2000/photo jpeg

You can vary the quality of these codecs but they should be good quality and good compression. Keep in mind a 1080p Quicktime - Animation codec, wont play well on your computer. If these files run slow convert again to H/264 codec.

what is the purpose of your rendering?

I only use a lossless if I need to do some FURTHER processing.

For my personal VIEWING pleasure Ill usually render cineform AVI, good playback quality and performance. For uploading Ill render h264 quick time. Im not entirely happy with Adobes rendering of h264, quality seems pretty low so I will on occasion render quicktime photo jpeg and user handbrake to produce the final h264 file.

Basically, I've got a couple dozen clips I am color correcting. They are all ending up at 26gb or so. I was hoping I could render them using some minimal compression so they don't end up being too heavy on my HD. .. I read more, but I am finding people don't use AE to compress, so I think I will just drag them into something else (sony vegas) to make them a tad easier to move and use.

Why not CC in AE? Its very good at it.

I think though, I missing something in your work flow.. can you describe it a bit more?

I've kinda spotted a problem in my workflow once I learned most folks don't compress in AE. I used to take full clips from my card and start color correcting.. which of course took forever.. Now, I rough edit down to what I think I will use with Vegas and I correct/grade those much smaller clips.

iyup, I learnt that the hard way too!

Lock the edit before doing anything else .... This includes but not limited too, sound, CC and visual effects... learning to "slap comp" is useful a good for helping with visuals. Slap comps are just cheesy REPRESENTATIONS that you do in your editor of the visual you will add in After Effects..

Also, this is where the Adobe Create Suite products shine. I can edit in premiere, then IMPORT that project into AE, all my edits come over as individual layers in AE comp. Then using a script from the DVRebels Guide I quickly create an adjustment layer over EACH video layer that is the same length as the video clip this is where I apply CC for each clip. After I match the clips, then I add an OVERALL adjustment layer for Color GRADING for look and feel... Somewhere in there I edit the clips for that are visual effects, muzzle flashes etc..

ALSO: FWIW I BELIEVE you can import vegas projects into AE using some interchange format.. google it..

iyup, I learnt that the hard way too!

Lock the edit before doing anything else .... This includes but not limited too, sound, CC and visual effects... learning to "slap comp" is useful a good for helping with visuals. Slap comps are just cheesy REPRESENTATIONS that you do in your editor of the visual you will add in After Effects..

Also, this is where the Adobe Create Suite products shine. I can edit in premiere, then IMPORT that project into AE, all my edits come over as individual layers in AE comp. Then using a script from the DVRebels Guide I quickly create an adjustment layer over EACH video layer that is the same length as the video clip this is where I apply CC for each clip. After I match the clips, then I add an OVERALL adjustment layer for Color GRADING for look and feel... Somewhere in there I edit the clips for that are visual effects, muzzle flashes etc..

ALSO: FWIW I BELIEVE you can import vegas projects into AE using some interchange format.. google it..

Gold! Thanks

Back