• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Advice on scripts for franchises

I know this is going to make me sound amateur and combined with the fact that this is my first post, I might even be laughed off the forum. Please don't. This is a serious question.

Remakes, reboots, prequels and spin-offs - they are all the rage.

I have written a script for a reboot/sequel to a big 80s film franchise produced by a big studio.

The franchise was huge, with two successful installments.

I have a script for number 3, which doubles as a reboot.

What would the best way be of getting this produced? Obviously I'm now limited to the one studio that owns the concept.

I know, I know - first time writers should do their own stuff, it's very fan boy to do this--- but imagine for one second, I did have a kick ass script, with solid characters, engaging action, comedy elements and a good plot that a studio would only need to see to say "Wow - this is what we need to get that old franchise making $$$ for us again" - how would I get it in front of them?

Your advice please!

I'm long time reader, first time poster. I respect the wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum so keen to hear your theories.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm an Aussie - so let's face it - we're the in thing in Hollywood at the moment!

Last edited:
You aren’t going to to be laughed off the forum. But you will be
told you can’t do this.

Okay: you have a kick ass script, with solid characters, engaging
action, comedy elements and a good plot. All with characters that
are owned in full by the studio.

That means you have violated their copyright. I’m not going to
tell you you might be sued - you won’t. But you cannot own
(copyright) this work. The reality is the studio cannot even read
it. They get sued so often that they will not even look at a
script that doesn’t come to them from an agent or lawyer.

Since you cannot copyright this script using these characters
there is nothing to protect you from the studio simply taking
your script, hiring an established writer to make a few changes
and put it in production with out you involved at all.

That’s not going to happen either.

And don’t for a second think that there aren’t already several
writers, directors, producers and/or actors, known to the studio,
who are several steps ahead of you. There may already be a
script.

As you say, remakes, reboots, prequels and spin-offs are all the
rage. The owners of that franchise know this as well as you do.

Maybe even a little better....

Hmmmm. What if I got an agent behind it?

You see I've just spent 6 months writing it so I don't want to just forget it.

Can we play "In a crazy world where this script got produced by Warner (that's the studio), this is how it possibly ended up happenning...."

I don't believe in "no" for an answer.

If you can get an agent to represent a script that violates the
copyright held by Warner Bros. then you might have a shot.

I always enjoy playing the “crazy world” game. If you throw out
the possibility there is already a finished script (or one being
written) and the reality of copyrights, I believe you can not
only get your script to the studio, but they will suddenly
realize they have been woefully lax in mining the gold that is
the franchise and that YOU have the perfect script.

So here are your next steps:

Find out exactly who owns the sequel and prequel rights.

Find out if there is already a script.

Find an agent with connections to the major Hollywood studios.

That's not going to be easy so don’t take “No” for an answer. Keep
at it until you find the right agent.

Thank you for your advice and most of all - thanks for treating my enquiry with respect, even though I can tell you want to grab me, slap me round the face and scream "IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!"

Looking forward to becoming a member of this great community.

Sorry one more question - where would I find out who holds sequel/prequel rights? Is there one source or just go fishing?
You can start with the studio. Sometimes it's the corporation
that owns the rights.

Check the credits of the film and the listing on IMDb.

This isn't something that you can usually do on line. You're
going to have to do it the old fashioned way - make a lot of
phone calls.

Any chance you want to tell us what franchise you're working
on?

Thank you for your advice and most of all - thanks for treating my enquiry with respect, even though I can tell you want to grab me, slap me round the face and scream "IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!"

I gotta tell you this is one of the nicest things anyone has said
to me. Because it's true....

Looking forward to you being a member, too.

Good luck, buddy.

I'm in the same boat as you. Working on a live action adaptation feature of an animated show. I'm hoping to do it in the future though after a few original features under my belt. I suggest you go down that road and make an original feature or two first. Look at Bryan Singer and Christopher Nolan for example.

One of the rules of screenwriting is to never write anything you don't own the rights to.

But if you really believe in your script, then my suggestion would be to write something else and try to get your foot in the door via something you do own. If you become a professional and get a reputation, then you might be able to get somewhere with your Gremlins screenplay.

Just keep writing.

Even if you never get to use that script, I'm sure you learned a lot just going through the process.
The experience will help you write better in the future.

Good luck.

I did a little poking around. Even called Dante who I’ve known for
years.

He said he’s sure there's a remake in the works rather than a
“part 3”. My agent said a “reboot” of Gremlins has already been
commissioned. She doesn’t know who the writer is but the official
press release should be be made within the next couple of
months.

This is another downside to spending time writing a script you
have passion for but don’t have the rights to. Warner Bros. will
be even MORE closed to unauthorized scripts getting anywhere near
them.

But in the “crazy world” you better get a well connected agent or
lawyer on board quick. Maybe your version is so much better than
one they are currently paying for that they will pay off the
writer and buy your script.

Generally, the guys who get to write/direct/etc reboots/remakes are people who are already well-established in the industry in some way.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with writing it just for the hell of it, especially if you're just starting out. Anything that can help you learn the ins and outs of storytelling, pacing, character development and the like can't be all that bad, right?

Just don't get hooked on writing them. Keep in mind that you'll eventually have to come up with something of your own. If you're struggling with that, writing a fan script can keep you busy and thinking creatively while you wait for an idea of your own to come along.

Just a thought- If the "crazy universe" doesn't quite work out for you this time, you don't absolutely have to give up on the whole script. You are probably going to have to give up on the "Gremlins" part. But assuming that your script is good enough to get made into a movie, the franchise name shouldn't be all it has going for it. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you have characters that you understand inside-out, that you have a compelling story arc, and that you have something interesting to say as a writer. So re-write. Intensively. Like, not a glaze that makes the script a thinly veiled rip-off. Take the strongest points of the script and transform them into something different. A similarity to the original def won't hurt you, cause you can pith it as "Gremlins" meets "XYZ". Just make it your own.

CONS: Once you actually go to all the effort or re-writing, the amount of work may equal an entire different script.

PROS: I've never ever ever seen a script that WOULDN't benefit from re-writing and re-working.

Here's how you get those jobs (because I just finished one that has also not been announced, yet).

1) You write a bunch of great original scripts.

2) You sell some of those original scripts and/or get meetings all over town from them.

3) A company that loves your original scripts is looking for a writer for a remake/reboot/sequel/etc - and they meet with you. In my case, they asked for my most recent script first. Then they hired me to write the remake of the project they owned the rights to.

4) Then hell begins, because half the people in the room want the script to be 100% faithful to the original and the other half of the people want to keep the title and do a complete reboot. And you are in the middle trying to keep both sides happy.

It starts with a bunch of great original scripts.

- Bill

Back