Advice on Gaining Exposure

directorik has made similar points in other post, which when I internalize what I think hes saying, reveals to me, that most of us are not givin' as good as were gettin'..

This is best illustrated by asking my self these two questions:

• How many self produced films did I buy last month, last year?
  • How many self produced films have I reviewed in the last month, last year?

Honestly, my answer, which I think is pretty typical, is approaching 0.
We want OTHER people to be interested in what we are doing, but are we interested in what OTHER people are doing?

Well said!

To get more attention nowadays, it seems like you just need to slap an "Unrated" sticker on your DVD...

It's pretty sad, but true.

To get more attention nowadays, it seems like you just need to slap an "Unrated" sticker on your DVD...

It's pretty sad, but true.

A friend of mine watched "The 40 year old Virgin", and he liked it enough. When the "Unrated" version came out on DVD, he got really interested to see what was left out and rented it.

I didn't get details, but he was rather ticked that the "unrated" version wasn't anything mindblowing, and felt (like you said) they slapped "unrated" on it to get more people to buy it.

I haven't watched it (not a fan of that genre of movie)-but I have heard similar stories of the"unrated" films being not that big a deal to write home about.

Webseries

On this subject of exposure and promotion:

Have there been attempts at like a weekly series on the net, like 5 Min shorts that tell a story line, or maybe an "amazing stories/twilight zone" type of deal, with a different story each week? I'm obviously talking as an internet type of thing- I mean web comics work well for comics, what about a film short equal?]

Hey, maybe at the end of the "season", if it gets popular enough, sell it as a DVD.

Yes? No? Out of my mind?

My personal favorite is "The Guild." And yes, they now have DVDs for sale. They're also on Netflix. IMHO, anyone who think that YouTube is on the way out is not using it correctly.

re

Maybe make info. cards and scatter throughout your city in public places.
Hang posters secretly in stores.
Tell local buisnesses/ media.
Tell friends to tell friends to tell friends.
Inform people you know who live elsewhere to do the same where they live.

I'm partly kidding, but some of those couldn't hurt to try. Just be loud, yet not annoying to people. :lol::(

If there's nudity in the film, distribute it at high schools. Then when you get arrested you will get all kinds of press.:yes:

The Bare Truth huh?:lol:

As far as getting the idea out-when I read movieman's post, I had this image from Waking Life, where the guy has the loudspeaker on his car and he's yelling about rising against the corporate state....only in this case "see my movie!" :D

Back