advice for new documentary filmmaker

I am planning on doing sort of a cross country tour by myself, centered on the recent protest movement. I'm looking for a light, mobile set up that will allow me to record picture and sound as easily and economically as possible.

Here's what I am planning on getting.

Panasonic GH2 w/stock lens- $1000
Audio-Technica AT8022 microphone- $400
cheap shoulder rig http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Shoulder-Support-Camcorder-Camera/dp/B0036NMQ7S ?
tripod
plenty of memory cards

am I missing anything (extra lens, viewfinder) or are there alternatives i should consider? I like the look of dslr and the gh2 apparently minimizes a lot of problems like moire and rolling shutter. I tend to be pretty economical, so I'm trying to buy only stuff that I REALLY need.

any other tips for a long term project like this, logistical or otherwise? Are there any non obvious problemsI might run into, being that the trip will be so long? For anyone who has done this kind of stuff, how much do you usually shoot for a minute of actual footage?

Thanks

Last edited:
alcove thanks for the tip about the nt3, musicians friend had it listed as being hypercardiod. What do you think about AKG C1000? Regarding shock mounts I'm not planning on using more than 1 recording device at a time so I'm looking for something that could hold both the akg c1000 and the h4n. And would it screw right into the hot shoe?

Thanks.

Another question about the GH2... it has sort of a digital zoom? I was thinking about splurging and getting the 140mm lens because i would like to have zoom capabilities but if I can do that digitally than in a pinch that should work right?

alcove thanks for the tip about the nt3, musicians friend had it listed as being hypercardiod. What do you think about AKG C1000? Regarding shock mounts I'm not planning on using more than 1 recording device at a time so I'm looking for something that could hold both the akg c1000 and the h4n. And would it screw right into the hot shoe?

The NT3 is physically a clone of the C1000s, although the electronics are different. BTW, I have the C1000s.

BTW, do you already have the H4n? If not, I recommend the Tascam DR-100. It has external volume knobs and a much more solid build.

The only shock-mounts I've seen for hand-held recorders are DIY jobs using suspension bands. You'll have to get a separate shock-mount for whichever mic you choose; as long as it's not a "fat" mic like the C1000s or NT3 they are fairly standard. I prefer a shock-mount that has a suspended clamp like this:

AT84%20large.jpg

Mics sometimes slip in shock-mounts like this that use bands only:

29568_l.jpg

Some mic kits come with a shock-mount. B&H has some great kits.

Back