• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Adversary (Short Film) Draft

Should I post my screenplay for critique? I know you guys will tear it to shreds, I've seen the other posts where people got annihilated. I've made some changes since the draft Im thinking of posting, mainly small "we see" mistakes and other sentence structure and wording. I can't get to my computer right now to post the most updated version, so I'd really be putting myself out there, but why should I care right.

The 15 page screenplay is about an overweight boy, who aspires to be a professional dancer. His grandfather, an unstable Vietnam vet can't decide whether or not he wants to kill the boy, or support him. He has a condition you see, that he takes medication for. Sudden tragic events have caused him to veer of course and stop taking his meds. Now every day for the boy is a complete mind trick, he doesn't know if he's going to come home to a loving grandfather, or a psychotic maniac. Lately it's been the latter. But the boy still hasn't given up on his dreams. But unless he comes up with a plan quick, he might not be alive to see them come true.

Welcome to the Screenwriting forum.

There are four alternatives: (1) not post it, (2) post it, (3) post the first five pages or (4) post/describe segments that you have specific questions about. To be honest, yes, you run the risk of some pretty sharp comments. However, I can say from experience, that producers and directors can also be pretty harsh critics in the real world. On the other hand, some of the comments you will receive will be on point and helpful.

Overall, I think most posters will try to be respectful. There are some who think being brutal is the best approach. However, I think telling a writer what not to do without giving some guidance or suggestion of what they might do is unhelpful. You'll find many members to provide supportive comments as well.

If you have segments you specifically want advice on, that may be one approach rather than putting up everything. The downside is that you don't get feedback about the story or structure. Without the actual script segment, it's sometimes hard to give appropriate suggestions and is hit-n-miss. However, often the first 5-10 pages are sufficient to give a good feel of story, dialogue, character development, pacing and structure.

You're aware of beginner mistakes which puts you ahead of the curve. And having read some reviews, I can fully empathize with being concerned about putting up your heartfelt story and having it beaten up. But you'll survive. It's not a commentary on you as a person though it may feel that way. Realize that some of it can be useful, even the really negative stupid comments. You are able to step back and take or pass on whatever advice you get. We do have people who have never posted their scripts here but ask for advice on certain scenes.

You have to make the call on what makes you comfortable.

When I first came on here, I was clueless, I had no idea about anything. All I knew is that I wanted to make films, and I had spent some time reading some forums on here and watching youtube tutorials and vids.

I came on and started to ask questions and post in reply to others. Many were supportive despite my obvious 'noob' status. Some of those 'supportive' replies to me were still pretty brutal, and yea there were some class 1 A-hole comments thrown in but at the same time some were just being honest, and it wasn't what I wanted to hear, but they were right. Some were blunt in their criticism, while others tried to give me some constructive comments back.

Both types were good for me because it made me step back and start to take things seriously. Instead of commenting for the sake of commenting, I actually had to step back and get my facts right before I commented or posted again.

I realized that these people were serious and their time was precious to them, and that every time they came on to answer me, they were not just passing time for lack of better things to do, they were trying in their own ways to give back to a new wave of would be film makers that included me.

So yes, if you do choose to post your script on here, there will be comments. Some of them will be harsh. Some will be class 1 A-hole comments. Some will be constructive. But it's what you do with that feedback that counts. My advice would be to post the first 5 pages.

There are many on here that have made all of the rookie mistakes that you have yet to make, and they will call you on it if they see you making those. But they also know something that you don't know yet, and that is that there is no line, no point at which you meet a certain standard and can now say that you are there, you have made it, you are a film maker. Because even after 40 years of making films, the ones that have spent that long doing this still sit back at night thinking about how they can be better.

Don't worry about getting to a certain point or a certain level of skill or understanding, just know that if this is what you do for the rest of your life, you will always be looking for ways to improve. You will always be kicking yourself about things you did last time that you now see as a mistake...and that is how you grow...that is experience being gained...that is invaluable.

Last edited:
It seemed to me that Ira lives in a perfect world, where everybody say something like "you look good" to each other, and smile all the time. I know, it's just the exposition, but even in a bright world, I'd like to see some limitations of the main character, something not perfect. He might live in a "comfort zone", but it shouldn't mean he has EVERYTHING. The reason is, that at the end of the story, he should achieve something he didn't have before the adventure started. That's just my opinion, of course, assuming that Ira is the protagonist.

And a question. Why would grandpa want to kill Ira? Yes, he's unstable from Vietnam war, but I've seen people damaged after wars, who's friends died. They are unstable, but they don't just randomly attack people - they always need a trigger or a familiar situation to let their anger come out. So, I suggest you make tensions between Ira and his grandpa, or make Ira do or say things that remind grandpa of the war.

This is one of the downsides of only posting part of the story. Yes it seems like a perfect world, but that is not really the case. Ira's grandpa has more than just PTSD, he has severe bi-polar disorder, and what motivates him to harm Ira is explained later in the story. It's a new revelation that he has come across, that he doesn't know how to handle.

Still, even if Ira's main problem is his grandpa, I think he should have other (minor) problems as well. It might add some layers to the story.

And what if, somehow, seeing Ira dancing disturbs the grandpa? So if Ira wants to see the loving grandpa, not the psycho, he should give up his dream? And the grandpa himself supports Ira to achieve his dream on the one hand, but can't control his (whatever) sickness when he sees him doing that?

Maybe I'm telling you the things you've already thought about, but that's because I didn't see the whole story :)

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the step. Readers look for many things but importantly, the first thing that they notice are formatting, spellling, grammar and page balance. They see these even before the more detailed appreciation of structure, character development, story and dialogue. So you need to attend to those. Your script isn't just telling a story, it is also serving as a production blueprint. Here are a few things to add to your checklist.

SLUGLINES. These have three parts: INT. (or EXT.) Location - Time (DAY, NIGHT)
In your example, you do these wrong in 5 of the 8 times. Understand that in the script, the slugline is a production tool. It helps an AD (assistant director) track and budget locations and time of day for shots. While it may seem like, "well it should be obvious that it's day/night/etc.", your script goes through many hands. These pros don't have the time to make assumptions. The reader's job is to save these professionals time. As a gatekeeper, if I think it will take too much work, I have to pass on a script. My suggestion, even if filming for yourself, always get the slugline right. These are visible and clear markers of amateur vs. professional.

Also, as a general guide, keep location information together. Only use one dash. So instead of "INT. IRA’S HOUSE - KITCHEN - MORNING" use "INT. IRA’S HOUSE, KITCHEN - MORNING". Moving general to specific, as you did, is good. As an example of confusion, the slugline above is simply "INT. IRA’S HOUSE - BEDROOM". Bedroom is a location, not a time. Also is this in the morning before he goes down for breakfast or at night after talking to his grandad? Change it to be clear: "INT. IRA’S HOUSE, BEDROOM - NIGHT".

SPELLING & GRAMMAR
Yeah, I know. It sucks to always be told to check spelling and grammar. However, as I mentioned in another thread, some readers are IMMENSE sticklers. If you're doing this for yourself, it doesn't matter. However, if you're submitting anything, especially to a contest or agency, double and triple check. I know I'm sounding persnickety but your first line: "Ira, a chubby boy (16), lays in his bed sound asleep."

There are two English verbs that cause writers tons of problems: sit/set and lay/lie. Lay is transitive, it is something you do to an object--"I lay a book on the bed." Lie is intransitive, it reflects a state of an object--"The book lies on the bed." Similarly, "I set a book on the bed" and "The book sits on the bed".

Also, Ira should have been in all caps in the first sentence since it's his first introduction. So the very first sentence of your script should have read: "IRA, a chubby boy (16), lies in his bed sound asleep."

Now, I'm not saying this to be critical but if you are pursuing this in earnest, realize that every mistake is a tick against the script. And they add up quickly. With 250,000 scripts struggling to be read and made by large studios, you're working to make sure you're not giving reasons to be eliminated off the bat. There are other small problems--commas, apostrophes, etc. Just be aware to check before submitting.
(NB: "He slowly opens his eyes, and smiles." There's no comma.)

First, we all make these mistakes in our first few drafts. I don't care how expert or experienced you are. So to be clear, I'm not talking about your first draft. It's important to get the story down. I'm talking about things you need to catch before you submit. However, the sluglines are critical to attend to even when writing the first draft.

WRITING MECHANICS
Always capitalize your characters' names the first time you introduce them. While you can have generic labels, I often use real names. It's just a personal choice, but it is easier to write RANDY than MIDDLE AGED GUY #1. But be consistent, you then say MIDDLE AGED LADY. Give her a name too. But if you do that, put it in your script. You wrote: "Justine walks through the group. She stops at a middle-aged man." It needs to read: "Justine walks through the group. She stops at RANDY, a middle-aged man." What is middle aged? To most people that late 30s to late 40s. Though those of an older persuasion might put that number a bit higher. :)

Everyone has their own style, but what I find helpful and have adopted after reading lots of scripts is to describe the location first, then go into the action.

Code:
INT.  LOCATION - TIME
Location description and location of the
characters.

Character's action

CHARACTER
             (parenthetical)
        dialogue
etc.
As an AD (again putting on my production cap), the slugline tells me where and when. The next part tells me about who and what are in the scene. This arrangement helps to quickly develop a scene layout in the reader's mind as well. If I visualize the scene one way, then on the next page am told something totally different, it can pull me out of a story. What you as a writer want to do is set up the image so the flow is uninterrupted from one scene to the next. You don't need to repeat all the details of a room once you've described it. Only if something has changed and it's significant to the story. As an AD (or script supervisor), it's my responsibility to track the continuity of a shot.

A parenthetical (or "wryly") is used to modify how a dialogue is delivered. Use it very sparingly. It is not a means of directing the actor. So on page 2, you would change the dialogue:
Code:
                    GRANDPA
      Hey Ira, time to get up. I made you
      breakfast (whisper).

to

GRANDPA
               (whisper)
       Hey Ira, time to get up. I made you
       breakfast.

Don't write paragraphs of multiple actions. It helps to break them into visual shots. Describe what the viewer sees rather than generic descriptions. What does "he's enjoying the scenery" mean? What is the neighborhood? Is he riding along a suburban street, through a park, along the main street of a small town? You have a picture in your head that you want to sketch out. Don't go into elaborate detail, but give the reader a sense of where the story is taking place.
Code:
INT. IRA’S HOUSE - GRANDPA’S ROOM
Ira’s grandfather sits on his bed motionless. On the dresser
behind him, there are pictures of a younger grandpa and his
platoon during the Vietnam War. In his hand he holds a pill
bottle. He stares at, turns the top and takes it off. He
closes it back up and tosses the bottle over his shoulder. He
grabs his head in frustration.

GRANDPA
      Walter. I just can’t believe it, I
      can’t believe your gone.

He breaks out in tears.
Even in dialogue, be sure that any grammar, punctuation and/or spelling mistakes are intentional to reflect the character. In the above "your" should be "you're". I know it all sounds petty but it gives an image of inattention. Especially after the slugline.

If I were rewriting that passage, I'd work from location description to action.
Code:
INT. IRA’S HOUSE, GRANDPA’S ROOM - DAY
Ira’s grandfather sits on his bed motionless. On the dresser
behind him, there are pictures of a younger grandpa and his
platoon during the Vietnam War.  Beside it a picture of him
at his son Walter's wedding.  A pill bottle stands beside it.

Grandpa reaches for the bottle, stops to regard the pictures
before grabbing it.

He holds a pill bottle. He shakes his head, stares at the top, 
turns the top and takes it off. 

He goes to pour out a pill, pauses, then closes it back up and 
tosses the bottle over his shoulder. 

He grabs his head.  His hands press into his face, rubbing and
sliding through his hair as he exhales.

GRANDPA
      Walter. I just can’t believe you're
      ... you're gone.

He breaks out in tears.
What does his frustration look like? Give some indication who Walter is. I made it his son but it could be an army buddy. You need to make it clear for that comment to make sense. It's clearly meant to be a powerful scene so take some time to develop it.

The grandpa's behaviors seem inappropriate and unmotivated. The characters need more development. You have an idea of the story but not much thought to the actual characters. PTSD and bipolar disorder can be a bad mix. However, you really need to do more research. The way you present grandpa is not consistent with either the actual conditions or what most people would expect. With so many returning Gulf and Iraq War veterans, there is lots of coverage. It may be it's developed later but you need to draw the viewer in now to care about Ira and the effects it has on the family. As a therapist, I've had to work with veterans having PTSD and bipolar disorders. So I'm perhaps more critical than the general public. However, I think you have some valid ideas that can be developed. The development in the first five pages doesn't feel authentic and believable.

Anyway, that's a lot to digest. There's a lot of basic writing stuff that needs to be addressed. I haven't even begun to discuss story, character development, dialogue or other features. It sounds like an interesting concept. Most new writers want to get feedback on the story when they don't realize that the mechanics needs to be in place. It's hard to discuss the interior design of a house before the floorplan is even clearly laid out. The floorplan and design go hand-in-hand. "The kitchen looks a little small. -- That's the bathroom, not the kitchen!"

Hopefully you can take on board some of the comments and use it to improve your next draft. Cheers.

Last edited:
That is a whole lot to take in. Thanks for taking the time to break everything down. After fixing the spelling, grammar, and sluglines, I think I'll just post the script so it can get dismantled. I mean I made the script for me to direct, but I understand that grammar and format have to be acceptable, and I appreciate you pointing out my errors . Wow. I have to get to work right now on this.

Here's my script, I know I'm going to be making many more drafts, but you all can at least help guide me in the right direction.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sl8f8ugiwk6ahuj/Adversary.pdf?dl=0
This still has lots of errors.

p.1: misplaced parenthetical: IRA Well, pretty good, I must admit (smiles).
action line inside dialogue: GRANDPA (CONT’D) Seriously wipe it off, he grabs at
Ira, Ira runs out the kitchen laughing.

p.2: failure to introduce JUSTINE: A fit, and incredibly optimistic woman (30s) is doing dance moves.
p.3: grammar (missing apostrophe): JUSTINE Your looking great. --> You're looking great.
several comma issues
p.5: grammar (missing apostrophe): GRANDPA Yeah, just putting some of your dads things in the
basement.
grammar (using 'lay' for 'lie'): Ira lays back in his bed.
p.7: sluglines: INT. IRA’S HOUSE - BEDROOM - NIGHT --> INT. IRA’S HOUSE, BEDROOM - NIGHT
multiple instances
and the mistakes go on. And you don't need the (Cont'd) after the character names. The only time that is important is when a dialogue is continued to the next page. Otherwise, it's not helpful.

This is the stuff you seriously need to watch for and catch yourself. You don't want a reader catching. If you had submitted this to a horror screenwriting competition, after p. 2 you would have been out of the running.

Now that I've had a chance to read the whole thing, I think you really need to decide on your story. This isn't a surprise ending. It's two different stories merged in the middle. It doesn't feel believable.

PTSD is a condition often features hyperattentiveness, anxiety attacks often situationally triggered and frequently there is an overwhelming sense of impending death. Bipolar disorder affects the mood. They alternate between manic phases when they feel on top of the world and engage in outlandish and often self-destructive behaviors and depressive phases when they can be angry, sullen and suicidal. The treatment for both often consists of both medication and counseling.

Grandpa doesn't come across as having either. As far as we can tell, he could have tossed his heart pills over his shoulder. Nothing registers as psychologically disturbed. So his actions towards Ira seem very contrived to advance plot, not a natural part of the story.

The last bit about finding the car keys and then Justine seems totally out of the blue. It's the sort of ending that leaves the audience wondering, "What?" The ending feels hokey. You have an idea, you want to implicate the grandad, but your development doesn't support that.

First, the nailing him in the basement was too over the top. Lock him down is fine. I'd use that as an opportunity for Ira to go through his father's belongings. Next, I might have Randy drive him home and meet grandad. Now when Randy goes missing, it starts to look suspicious. Maybe Grandpa puts his foot down on Ira going to the competition. Justine comes over and confronts grandpa.

It takes a lot to commit someone. However, an assault reported to 911 would lead to an arrest and possible evaluation. That would also bring the police in to investigate the house and find the body in the attic. Now the story shifts gears naturally.

Writing is about natural development. You have an idea but you need to take the time to have it evolve in a believable way. At the moment, it's not believable to me. You need to develop grandpa and Ira so the audience cares about them, even in a short. At the moment grandpa isn't real or believable. Ira doesn't feel believable.

Your mind likes the idea of the twist and has taken shortcuts to get there. As a writer you need to avoid the easy route. Characters are the story, so you need to give care to make them feel real and believable. You need to develop story naturally and not in a forced way to get to an outcome.

You could shoot this as written but it would sound odd. The dialogue is too bland. Everyone sounds the same. Justine sounds like Randy, Linda and Ira. Grandpa just feels chaotic. The police scene also feels pretty low energy.

First, fix the grammar and formatting problems. Secondly, focus on developing the story more fully. Not from the standpoint "grandpa does this to Ira" but from inside grandpa's head. Why am I doing this to Ira? One reason I often encourage writers to take acting workshops is that actors need to practice getting inside the character's head. A good writer needs that same skill. When I write, I'm acting every role. On to the next round.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your critique, I understand I have a lot to learn, I'm just glad someone is taking the time out to help. I write everyday, I just started writing screenplays a few months ago. It's been a lot more grueling project than i could of ever imagined, but it brings me pleasure in this cold, fast paced world, and that itself is enough to keep me going.

You've switched the script with Dropbox Getting Started document :)

Here's the feedback on what you've sent me in private:

Ira is a murderer? Why? What are his motives? And if he is, did he murder his parents? Walter is his Dad, right? And why did he murder Justine? What did she do to him? Or it was Walter who murder everyone, 'cuz he's alive? I'm totally confused. Anyway, one way or another, both twist ideas are good. I just didn't get which one is that.

Now the dialogue. Grandpa speaks too brutal. If he is the one whom Ira should be scared off, Grandpa should probably speak even more gently when he "goes crazy". A gently nice speaking psycho is much more scary.

Two minor things.
1) - When Ira's stomach growls, he doesn't need to actually say that he's thirsty/hungry. We get it.

2) - When he falls on the floor and grabs his shoulder in pain, you don't need to add a dialogue line, having him say "Aaah!". You can write "Ira screams" or something like that. Save script space!

The formatting is much improved. Still a few problems but now you can focus on the story elements. Overall, this pass is better in that it is more coherent. However, I think you still need to focus on the characters and putting in elements that help the reader/viewer make sense of the story. The platoon picture is largely irrelevant. This is not PTSD or bipolar, this is an outright psychotic episode.

I don't think the angels add anything in this instance. A director doesn't want more actors in a scene than needed. What you can do is add visual cues. Picture of Ira and his parents. Then a funeral notice.

I would think that a good use of Justine would be for her to come to see Ira. She finds him boarded up and grandpa is dead, perhaps. She calls 911 and the police come.

I think the addition of the bully scene definitely changes the tone. I think for it to be fully effective though, you might want to have them teasing him when he first goes in to dance.

The ending feels weak. Maybe after the police arrive, he agrees to stay with Justine. When he goes back to pack, he opens his closet to reveal empty pill casings next to a box of rat poison.

Maybe as they get into the car, Justine says that when she hadn't heard from him, she became worried. She had to replace him. We can see his face grow angry as he looks back at the house.

If you're going to flashback, make sure it is meaningful. Give a reason for him to be angry with his parents/father. As for the flashback, in this case, you can just put (FLASHBACK) after the slugline. You only need the FLASHBACK: ... END FLASHBACK when it involves several locations.

I think it's continuing to improve and become a much more cohesive and compelling screenplay. Just remember to make believable characters and motivations for their actions.

Thanks for your helpful advice. You said " I would think that a good use of Justine would be for her to come to see Ira. She finds him boarded up and grandpa is dead, perhaps. She calls 911 and the police come. " Question, how would grandpa be dead, or murdered if Ira is boarded up in the basement? I want a good ending to this thing, and I feel like your on to something.

Thanks again.

Back