• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

ADR Recording Tips

Dear All,

I'm new to recording ADR and I wanted to see if anyone had any tips on how to deaden a studio.

The studio I work at has about a 15x15 foot room with a low ceiling (about 9-10 feet) and wood walls.

There is quite a first reflection in the room when a mic gets more than a foot away from the person.

I am using acoustical foam and tube traps.

I am supposed to be recording ADR for an outside shot and that means I have to make it extremely anechoic.

Any other tips are warmly welcomed.

Thanks - Ryan

First to set the record straight, I am not a re-recording mixer by profession, I'm pretty much a jack-of-all-trades. My predominant strengths are dialog editing and music editing. I am very good at sound FX editing and Foley editing. So I guess you would say that I'm basically a sound editor. My Foley performance is okay but by no means am I a Foley artist. I do nice solid mixes but by no means am I an expert re-recording mixer.

99% of the time I'm replacing the dialog of the entire scene. I mostly use either the Neumann TLM 103 or the Sennheiser MKH-40, although I will try other mics depending upon the situation. As I mentioned I will use the actual mic used on the set if possible if I am just inserting individual lines as opposed to ADRing an entire scene.

One of the things to keep in mind is that the performance of the dialog itself is truly what is important. For the most part people speak more loudly outdoors than indoors unless they are very close to each other, so it is important to have them project a little more. There are other situations where the talent should speak loudly, such as a crowded bar or a sports venue.

I've found that having the actor perform the line right after hearing the original is usually a better option with less experienced talent. Then drag the line over and check the match. Keep their voice low in the headphones; if they don't hear themselves well they will project more. Oh, set up a few quick EQ and reverb presets so you can check the perspective. Are you using Vocalign?

Have you had any discussions with the director, dialog editor or re-recording mixer? Be honest about the limitations under which you are working and ask for their input.

Ok great. All points noted. That's good advice.

Haven't spoken with either the director/mixer/editor.

I think I'll be good for now until I get more info on what the job entails.

I'll be using 4 to 5 mics and all the baffling I can get in my booth and I think we'll be good.

- Ryan

You know it's not unheard of to have a bunch of mics grouped together recording on separate tracks for the ADR performance. This way later you can pick the best sound that fits the flick, or do a little blending.

Yeah that's a good idea. I was planning on doing that.

Do you have any clue about how drastic EQ is used in a film mix on the dialogue?

Do the mixers leave the original recordings pretty much flat? Or do they try to get a lot of presence out of it?

Like in a song, I have seen mixers boost 10 to 15 dB of high end at 16K on a Neve 8078 console and it fits the song.

In a film the voices sometimes sound dull to me.

They must go for a more natural sound, right?

- Ryan

When you are working on sound for picture you are taking many disparate pieces and weaving them into a consistent whole. I'm currently doing my second pass at the dialog of an indie feature (the first was clean-up and picking lines from alternate takes, etc.). In some scenes the EQ is completely, even radically, different from line to line - part of it is noise reduction, part of it is to get them all sounding like they were recorded at the same time (in a few scenes the actors were shot hours or even days apart) - so that everything is smooth and consistent. Imagine that when recording a singer every line of the song was recorded on different days in a different place in the studio, including the reception area, bathroom, hallway and six different places in the tracking room at varying distances plus a few lines as you normally record them, and then you have to make them all sound the same...

As far as the mics I would only use three unless the dialog editor wants more choices, perhaps a large diaphragm (U87) in close (3" - 6"), a condenser (MKH50) at mid distance (6" - 12") (both slightly above and to the side) and the second large diaphragm (U87) a foot or two further than the first to cover the loud sections so you do not have to adjust levels or move the mics during the session.

Wow that's pretty rough. I hope you can do something with that dialogue - sounds tough.

That's a good idea on the mics and I'll try that out. The 2 U87s is a very good idea.

Also I have to use the COS-11 and MK41 as that was what was requested.

So how are you going to get those dialogue lines to sound correct - add a bunch of reverb?

- Ryan

Wow that's pretty rough. I hope you can do something with that dialogue - sounds tough.
But that's what dialog editors and re-recording mixers do. Actually, the sound of this particular project is, for the most part, pretty good.

So how are you going to get those dialogue lines to sound correct - add a bunch of reverb?
By EQing every single line if I have to. That's the challenge of working in audio post, to take a whole pile of differing pieces and make a cohesive whole out of it.

In one scene the character was on the far side of the room, quite distant from the camera, so the audio had that "roomy" hollow sound, and when I brought the levels up (increased the gain of the clips) the noise came up considerably. So I went through all of the unused/alternate takes, found the ones from the CU shots and started replacing the dialog line by line. The most important aspect is to find lines that match the delivery/intensity of the original performance. My biggest challenge was that there was one phrase ("he seemed") in the original performance that was not to be found in the alternate takes, so I found a "he" from another scene and actually had to construct the word "seemed". I found an "S" from one word, a long "E", an "M" and a "D" from other words and built the word. I had to time stretch the "E" a little and raise the pitch on the "M". I then used Vocaling to align it properly and "seemed" is now a seamless part of his dialog.

I'll give you a quick look into how I work, which a far cry from how the big dogs do it, and probably very different than the work flow of other "one-man-band" audio post folks.

My first chore is to work through the production sound. On the initial run-through I do the editing and dialog replacement. I make notes on which scenes need ADR (which doesn't happen about 80% of the time). The second chore is to do all of the ambiences. That way I can find out what dialog problems can be "hidden" in the ambiences. Then the second pass through the production sound do noise reduction and EQ matching, use a downward expander to reduce the "roomy" sound, and set up a few preliminary reverbs. I then pull in the rough mixes of the ambiences (some will be 10 or more tracks) and do the third dialog pass.

That's when I can get to work on the "fun" stuff - sound FX and Foley. I usually Foley footsteps character by character rather than scene by scene; it takes me a while to get into the flow of the character and I don't want to lose it once I've found it. This runs contrary to how the pros do it, but it works for me, and I'm not constantly changing shoes. Once all of the footsteps are done I'll do a contact and cloth pass. Contacts are handshakes, back slaps, kisses, etc., and cloth is just what it sounds like - shirts, pants, dresses, jackets and the like. (Fight scenes I'll do separately.) I then do item Foley - bottles, dishes and silverware, and other misc items used by the characters. Sound FX is just what it sounds like - doors, gun shots, vehicles, etc.

By this time the initial score is completed and I start the final construction and prepare for the mix.

That's pretty much it. I'm half way through my second pass on the dialog and have put in a little over 200 hours so far.

Anyway, that's what I do. My process is constantly being altered as I find more efficient and/or creative ways to work.

Peace,

Bob

You've got a lot of nice tools available to you. Is it your studio, or are you on staff or a freelance?

I am stuck with my "minimal" gear at my own studio, but have access to all kinds of cool toys at other studios when I freelance.

at the location

Another possibility to always keep in mind:

You can do your Voice Dub on the set. You get the same ambient sounds, same mic, same crew, same vibe. It depends on the reason for needing to dub, of course.

But if you can get dialog repeated right there during shooting, you save time and effort.

Thanks polfilmblog,

Unfortunately I wasn't there for the shoot but that's a good idea.

Per James Cameron that's what he does - he hates ADR and has the actors say the line in the clear when they are "in the moment" on set after the take - with all of the gernerators and wind-fans off of course.

Hah! Yes - however I would hope that most indie films have actors who care about the project enough to take it through the finish line with whatever is needed to make it perfect (ADR included.

Another possibility to always keep in mind:

You can do your Voice Dub on the set. You get the same ambient sounds, same mic, same crew, same vibe. It depends on the reason for needing to dub, of course.

But if you can get dialog repeated right there during shooting, you save time and effort.

Dialog wilds are almost never done on low/no/micro budget projects, and they should be. The "air" is the same and as the talent is still in character the intonation and intensity is usually far superior to ADR performed at a later date. Almost all of the ADR on "The Dark Knight" was actually dialog wilds recorded on the set.

I just got to hear some of the lines I recorded for this ADR session and I think it was a success.

It is in fact way more dead (anechoic) than the other production sound used in the scene.

Thanks everyone for the tips - they helped a lot.

Okay - next question on this thread:

Does anyone know what software the major ADR studios use to manage beeps/streamers?

Or maybe even the not-so-major ones?

There are numerous EDL programs that are used in conjunction with Pro Tools - which is pretty much the standard - that can provide ADR management. At my level an ADR cue sheet is printed out (or not) and I just use a moveable 2-pop; I align it by assigning the end of the 2-pop one (1) second earlier than the start of the ADR line using "spot" mode. For example; the ADR line starts at 01:10:27;16. In spot mode I grab the 2-pop, the spotting window appears and the end of the 2-pop is given an end time of 01:10:26;16.

Back