Adobe Primere vs Final Cut

So I'd like to get a simple editing program, (I do effects in After Effects) and I was wondering which is better for final editing and exporting: Adobe Primere Pro, or Final Cut Pro? What do you guys think?

I haven't used Adobe Premier Pro before, but I do own Final Cut Pro X.

"I do effects in After Effects, and I was wondering which is better for final editing and exporting"

Since you already use AE, it might be an easier transition to jump right into a program like Premiere Pro.

Then again, Final Cut has tons of export options for you to choose from, and it is pretty easy and very Intuitive, to make a final edit with.

Which is better, Chocolate or Vanilla ice cream?

Same questions with the same results - people's opinions that may or may not have anything to do with your preferences.

It's the artist not the brush that counts.

I personally love Final Cut Pro X, but if you're used to working with AE, Premiere is definitely the way to go. Both applications are just a means to an end, anyway - they both have a lot of the same features (Premiere has a few more than FCP X in terms of the cloud) and both do the job pretty nicely.

I would've gone with Adobe but I wasn't a fan of the monthly payments system. Maybe, someday, when I actually generate an income from my video work, I'll upgrade to their software, but for now FCP X is my favorite and does the job pretty well! :)

I switched from FCP7 to Premiere Pro when they came out with FCPX. FCPX is basically imovie with a few more bells and whistles. If you're used to adobe programs, the jump to Premiere would be simple as others have said in this thread.

Both are good tools. If you have a mac go for FCP, if you have a PC go for Premiere.

... or toss a coin.

Either one will get the job done.

I used iMovie in an iPad once to cut a short... fine too.

Although I've used both, I personally prefer Premiere only because I work on PC. In all honesty, (at least with the version that I used), Final Cut worked just the same way as Premiere did only with different hot cuts and tools. However, I've also heard that FCX screwed everything up haha.

As others have said, it's not the program that dictates how well your movie is gonna turn out. Majority of the time all you'd really need is just cut and trim. Hell, people back then made great stuff with just Windows Movie Maker... THE FIRST VERSION.

FCPX is basically imovie with a few more bells and whistles.

This suggests you either haven't used iMovie much, or haven't used FCPX much, or both. The similarities between the two are entirely superficial.

There are workflow and philosophical differences between FCPX and Premier, but from the standpoint of functionality and capabilities they are comparable. If you don't have a lot of editing experience you'll probably be fine with either as the learning curves are similar - most of the resistance to FCPX is coming from people who have significant editing experience with FCP7 and earlier and aren't interested in learning a new workflow. Premier maintains a more traditional editing workflow and interface, so it's actually an easier transition for those people.

Another option to look at is Resolve 11 Lite - it just started shipping this week. They've significantly beefed-up the editing capabilities, and the lite version is entirely free and primarily limited by the resolutions you can work with (nothing over UHD, so not much of a limit). It also includes one of the most powerful sets of grading tools available - putting to shame anything included in FCP or Premier. And did I mention it's free? You can go download it right now and try it out to see if it works for you.

I've used both personally, for which I started out using Final Cut X. Final Cut is definitely powerful enough to cover all your conventional editing needs, and it's also very intuitive and easy to get into. But later I switched to Premiere because it just felt "right" to me, it felt like it just had more power, which it does. It has the ability to integrate with Adobe Audition, Speedgrade, and After Effects, all of which are valuable tools to indie filmmakers. But what it ultimately comes down to is the person behind the software. It is the editor that ultimately makes a great film, not the software.

It never seems to stop amazing me where guys here forget about the real industry heavyweight--Avid Media Composer. You can't get work in the TV industry without a working knowledge of it. There are student versions of Media Composer for schools. The industry version requires more powerful desktops than the student version (quad core processors and beefed up video cards and a good 16 Gigs of RAM).

Look in the HR section of TV Network web sites. If you want work in post for the networks you must have work experience with Avid Media Composer and some experience with Final Cut Pro. No mention of Adobe Premiere Pro.

On the LinkedIn Video Editing forums, the discussion is with Avid, FCP, and Premiere Pro. Avid is recommended by professionals around the world. It comes with Boris FX and Protools is available. The editors generally add After Effects Pro to their software bundles for editing.

Back