• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Adobe Premiere Export Settings?

I am not sure what I am doing wrong here; I have even looked up Youtube tutorials. I am working with video from a hacked GH2, and the file sizes are pretty substantial. However, after I color grade it and everything else, and mix it down, it renders it at less than a gig! How is that possible when one bare clip without editing can be more than a gig on its own?

I must be doing something wrong when I create the Sequence, or Export the video. Anyone here knowledgeable with this program? The results haven't been like this until recently; I would export a video and it would come out with bars on all four sides of it, so I change the settings to make it full screen, and now the videos are small in size ( I am assuming not HD ), and I can't seem to go back to whatever I was doing before.

Hopefully this isn't confusing.

You've selected a DV preset that has 720x480 set, 'cos that's what DV is. (If you select the DV PAL, it will be set to 720x576)

You can change your dimensions if you go to Video >> Codecs and select something taht doesn't start with DV.

My question would be... why are you needing to export as an AVI? :hmm:

Don't use AVI. Like ever.

It's file size is much too large for the quality it ultimately delivers. Use Mpeg2 or h.264 or if you need an uncompressed file use QuickTime.

IMHO AVI is one of the worst file types

Also, you may want to ensure when you begin a new project your settings are optimized.

20130324AdobePremiereElements10NewProjectSetUpSettings_zps4180cb27.png

• You're in North America so use NTSC.
  • Pick "AVCHD" or "DSLR", it almost doesn't matter. AVCHD is just less specific.
  • "Full HD" in 1080i 30" or whatever frame rate you just shot your media at.
  • (First down arrow) Ensure you've selected something @ 1920x1080 and NOT @ 1440x1080.
  • (Second down arrow) If you're exporting w/ h.264 then you're within the realm of AVCHD
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Applications
  • "AVCHD is a high-definition recording format designed by Sony and Panasonic that uses H.264 (conforming to H.264 while adding additional application-specific features and constraints)."
  • (Up arrow and first left arrow) It almost doesn't matter what frame rate you record at, most computers are going to display your 24/25/30/50/60fps product @ 29.97fps.
  • (Last left arrow) And you want to note that your pixels will actually be square and not rectangular.

GIGO.

GL!

I've done the match sequence settings, didn't work. But thanks guys for all the info! Another question, is there anyway for me to change my project settings without having to create a new project and completely redo everything?

Don't use AVI. Like ever.

It's file size is much too large for the quality it ultimately delivers. Use Mpeg2 or h.264 or if you need an uncompressed file use QuickTime.

IMHO AVI is one of the worst file types

AVI is just a wrapper.. it can contain pretty much any codec, just like quicktime .mov's can.

an avi file can be h.264 or mpeg2 encoded.. so can an mov. Likewise either of them could be uncompressed or use a plethora of other available codecs.

This is what I see when I do a New Project though? It doesn't look like yours. I don't know why though because on my other computer I think my lists and what not look just like yours. But in this one, I hit New Project, and this comes up, and the options are limited:

As I said, on my other computer it looks like what was posted by rayw I believe.

It may be a computer OS issue, but mostly I think the difference is I'm working off Premiere Elements 10 and you're on Premiere Pro, a superior program.
I'm surprised that program's set-up options are as limited as they are.

I see where the "Pixel Aspect Ratio" is buggered @ 1.2121.
And I don't know what to make of why a 1980x1080 option isn't available on that NTSC preset list.
Try the "Standard 48kHz" option.
Then see what's available under that "Settings" tab.
Then see what's available under "Custom" on the current "Sequence Presets" tab.

:grrr: Grrr....

(Also, when you screen capture, resize the picture to 50%! :lol:)

No Scorer make the new project with the current settings on that screenshot. In the next window you will get the chance to change the sequence settings which will then look similar to rays, though you will have tonnes more options

EDIT: only the first picture was showing up and I could not see your limited options as demonstrated in the second picture. So now I agree with what Will said below me

Last edited:
The limited preset options for new project creation indicates that your install of premiere isn't properly registered...

Some of the extra presets are only available when it's properly been activated/registered. Specifically a lot of the HD options.

The loss of these presets and loss of activation seems to be an issue though, I have seen a LOT of posts about it around the net.

Check for yourself... google: Premiere missing presets

The limited preset options for new project creation indicates that your install of premiere isn't properly registered...

Some of the extra presets are only available when it's properly been activated/registered. Specifically a lot of the HD options.

The loss of these presets and loss of activation seems to be an issue though, I have seen a LOT of posts about it around the net.

Check for yourself... google: Premiere missing presets

I see, this could explain the difference between the options on this computer and my secondary computer. I'll try to read up on it, but I wonder if it will warrant a reinstall or something along those lines.

Back