• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Adobe Premiere Export Settings?

I am not sure what I am doing wrong here; I have even looked up Youtube tutorials. I am working with video from a hacked GH2, and the file sizes are pretty substantial. However, after I color grade it and everything else, and mix it down, it renders it at less than a gig! How is that possible when one bare clip without editing can be more than a gig on its own?

I must be doing something wrong when I create the Sequence, or Export the video. Anyone here knowledgeable with this program? The results haven't been like this until recently; I would export a video and it would come out with bars on all four sides of it, so I change the settings to make it full screen, and now the videos are small in size ( I am assuming not HD ), and I can't seem to go back to whatever I was doing before.

Hopefully this isn't confusing.

Wow..

The video being less than a gig means nothing to start with.

Now for the export... It's quite simple. Use h264 for the codec and tweak the parameters.

Set your "Level" to the maximum which is 5.1 I think. Set your framerate. Set your format (width and height) and then set the VBR 1 or 2 passes. It really depends on you, your computer and what you're doing.

Depending on what you plan to do with your vid and where do you want to put in, you can get a a higher or a lower bitrate. The higher the bitrate, the heavier the video.

Did you move the file from the bin to the CREATE SEQUENCE setting at the bottom of the PROJECT window? That auto-sets the sequence/timeline to be the same settings as the source file.

Wow..

The video being less than a gig means nothing to start with.

It absolutely does - it means I am losing quality. If the source material is much greater than a gig. If I have 4 gigs of source material, and then I color grade it, if it comes out half a gig, there is something wrong there. (Unless I wanted to lose quality in the first place)

Did you move the file from the bin to the CREATE SEQUENCE setting at the bottom of the PROJECT window? That auto-sets the sequence/timeline to be the same settings as the source file.

No, I usually just drag it to the timeline, and the it asks me if I want to change the sequence to match the source file, and I click yes.

I may have media encoder but I don't know, I've never used it.

And my settings have varied widely as I have tried to discern what settings I should be using. I want the footage to be in 1080 and I don't want it to be cropped so much. The cropping is why I started toying with it to begin with.

But I have been using H.264 with a 16:9 widescreen format. 4.2 and at 33mb/s

I should also note that I edit the footage (cut it and sort it) in Premiere, then I bring it into after effects and put any visual effects in it that I need (including color grading), and then I bring it back into Premiere to put the audio in with the video and do a final export.

It absolutely does - it means I am losing quality. If the source material is much greater than a gig. If I have 4 gigs of source material, and then I color grade it, if it comes out half a gig, there is something wrong there. (Unless I wanted to lose quality in the first place)
Not necessarily. It just means its more compressed and depending on the source material this is a good thing. My t3i creates a file 4gb for 12min. However when I compress it (it still looks the same mind you) it will probably come out closer to 1gb for every 10minutes or there abouts depending in a variety of variables. Personally I want my final export to be much smaller in file size.

I may have media encoder but I don't know, I've never used it.

If you've got Premiere Cs4 or newer then you have it, though the render settings are almost identical. Media encoder IMO is much more useful when exporting from After Effects
I should also note that I edit the footage (cut it and sort it) in Premiere, then I bring it into after effects and put any visual effects in it that I need (including color grading), and then I bring it back into Premiere to put the audio in with the video and do a final export.

Well there's one of your main reasons. If you say edit it down to half the clip and then export using the same compression settings as the camera (which being a gh2 is already compressed anyway..) then I would expect the file size to be half that of the source. Now add to it the fact that you will be compressing more if this is for a final DVD or web output then the the file should be much much smaller while retaining the same level of quality

I just love it when people ask basic questions answered a million times on the web but yet find the nerve to contradict you.

This is Computer not Physics. The law of conservation of mass do not apply.

You don't have to export anything to After Effects. You either copy-paste the content of your timeline or you use Dynamic Link. If you export every time you switch software and unless you're using a Lossless export, you're losing quality every time.

There seems to be problems with what you're doing here.

If what you're trying to achieve is to reduce the length of the videos and then output it to someone to do their visual effects using After Effects, you're using the wrong codex. You want to use an uncompressed codec which Artist mentioned. When your visual effects guy/colorist exports, you want them to export using an uncompressed codec too.

If you're the visual effects/colorist, you can use dynamic linking within After Effects and Premier Pro (and you'd probably also use Audition too) and all this becomes a moot point. You won't have to worry about loss of image quality as you shouldn't export until the end.

I just love it when people ask basic questions answered a million times on the web but yet find the nerve to contradict you.

This is Computer not Physics. The law of conservation of mass do not apply.

You don't have to export anything to After Effects. You either copy-paste the content of your timeline or you use Dynamic Link. If you export every time you switch software and unless you're using a Lossless export, you're losing quality every time.

This is probably the answer I was looking for, thank you. However, could have easily been answered without the sarcasm ;) The thing was, I knew I was losing quality, I could see it considering the resolution dropped from 1080 to 480 or something like that.

But thank you for your answer. And everyone else. I think when I get some time I will fiddle with it again and see if it makes a difference.

You still don't get it !

Losing quality doesn't mean dropping resolution. Resolution and quality are two different thing.

Your video should always be in 1080p even if you lose quality during an intermediary export.

i'm sorry but I felt I was kindda clear about how you should manage your files but your still swimming in an ocean of confusion and non-sense.

You still don't get it !

Losing quality doesn't mean dropping resolution. Resolution and quality are two different thing.

Your video should always be in 1080p even if you lose quality during an intermediary export.

i'm sorry but I felt I was kindda clear about how you should manage your files but your still swimming in an ocean of confusion and non-sense.

Ok, but it apparently is NOT remaining in 1080p (as my last post stated), which means that there must be a drop in quality. You aren't going to sit there and tell me that a resolution below 1080p (especially if it drops to 400 something) ?!?!?!

I'm going to ask once again:

What are the settings you're using to export?

Or don't you know what settings you're using?

I mentioned them in an earlier post, unless that is not enough information?

I will try to get a screen shot on here. Right not my editing software is on my new computer, and I have having a few harddrive issues with it.

But I have been using H.264 with a 16:9 widescreen format. 4.2 and at 33mb/s

That's all that I saw you even came close to saying your settings. It's not even close to you telling what the settings are. That's almost like saying "I've got a problem. I'm using a camera with a lens, what of my equipment is compatible with it?"

Most of the problems from this are going to come under one of the following:
a). You haven't looked at the settings close enough. When you do, you're most likely to see a setting that you're missing.
b). You don't know what container/codec/settings you want to use for each specific situation.

None of that is bad, but if you need assistance, you may need to be more clear in what you're trying to achieve. There are a lot of settings within PP. The more information you provide, the better the change you'll find the help you're looking for.

Ok so I just shot a music video, and once again, I can't export the settings to 1080! It keeps jotting me down to 480. I have a print screen of my settings here:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also the video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gol-fvpm4g (not that it will be of any help, just in case you were curious ;) )

When I go over to the video tab, anything to do with the resolution and settings and what not is mostly unclickable and greyed out.

Hopefully some of this information is more helpful. Thanks !

Back