Adapter for Sony hdr camcorder..

Hi,
I have a sony hdr xr100 camcorder with 30mm threading size..
Would using a 30mm to 52mm coupler ring on it allow me to use prime lenses such as canon 50mm?
I'm sorry but im kinda clueless about threading n filter size so kindly guide me..

Thanks

The short answer: no.

The longer answer: The thread on the front of the lens is intended for attach filters and lens adapters. To attach another lens you would need a 35mm adapter, which projects the image from your 50mm prime (for example) on to a piece of ground glass, which is then recorded by your camera.

cheers fr the reply dready...
I saw one cheap adapter called Jag35 but it looks like they have discontinued it... Letus and Redrock are beyond my budget.. Do you know any other adapter? Link would save my life..
Also, I;m assuming you are talking about problems like chromatic abberation and vignetting with it.. Is there any prob that I should be aware of?

Many Thanks

http://vid-atlantic.com/EnCinema35.html

That's the one I have. You can look at my test video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuLfZ4BRuhI

Yes, you're going to have the problems you mentioned, and also a cheap one like this is going to lose a lot of light. So you need to make up for it with artificial lighting or shoot in bright sunlight.

I'm not trying to turn you off. It's a nice little adapter and does the job well enough for the money. Just don't think it's going to automatically turn your camera into a DSLR :P

Thanks a lot dreadylocks.. this one looks good..which brings me to a slightly diff question..
I'm thinkin of shooting this murder mystery black n white film noir.. wont the deep focus that u get with ur camcorder actually work in this situation?

lol @ mayhaps! yea exactly my thoughts wheatgrinder ..
if i use rotobrush or even mocha for dramatic shots to isolate fg frm bg and fake dof i think it can sell it...
alas my camera records 25frames but i have magic bullet frames which kinda saves my ass...
but thanks once again :)

Are there any other major things one should think about when trying to make this rig? I've been looking at the adapter which does look really cool but I'm wondering whether aperture can be adjusted or not. I'm guessing it doesn't which seems like it could cause trouble. Did any of you get the adapter btw?

Last edited:
There is another site, more aimed at teens where they have a lot of good DIY tutorials. (Against TOS to say their name I think) There ARE DIY methods of making these adapters, but can't vouch for how good they work. The only times I used an adapter it was a redrock.

Back