Actual film proposals which have earned pre-sales

I'm looking for links, pdfs, samples, whatever, of film prospectuses that have been sent out to distributors and successfully earned financing/promises of purchase.

I'm trying to go the pre-sales route to finance a feature and could really do with seeing a few successful proposals to check that my own is up to scratch.

Kindly note that this is a low-mid budget film and I'm looking to do what producers should be doing as businessmen, i.e. cut out the middle-man (sales rep) for higher returns.

FYI: I'm not seeking proposals for investors (but could always see some successful ones). Pre-selling is a different financing strategy to hooking up with a rich man.

Thanks everybody in advance for your time and input.

You need to get a distributor attached.

It all starts with an A-List "Bankable" writer. In this case, the award winning writer, Harlan Ellison helped to launch this series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VllG88T9YYM

Last edited:
I'm looking for links, pdfs, samples, whatever, of film prospectuses that have been sent out to distributors and successfully earned financing/promises of purchase.

I'm trying to go the pre-sales route to finance a feature and could really do with seeing a few successful proposals to check that my own is up to scratch.

Kindly note that this is a low-mid budget film and I'm looking to do what producers should be doing as businessmen, i.e. cut out the middle-man (sales rep) for higher returns.

FYI: I'm not seeking proposals for investors (but could always see some successful ones). Pre-selling is a different financing strategy to hooking up with a rich man.

Thanks everybody in advance for your time and input.

If you want to get pre-sales you need the following things in your package:

-Genre: It needs to be a sellable genre movie, action, thriller, horror, to some extent sci-fi, family etc. Dramas etc. won't do unless you have some MAJOR A-list talent attached.

-names: You need names, many of them. The days are over when all you needed was one B-actor to make a movie, now you need at least two of them, the lower you go on the "B-list" the more names you need.
On the higher level the names you are starting to see in DTV movies: Bruce Willis, Robert De Niro, Nicolas Cage, Ethan Hawke, Mickey Rourke etc.

-Script: The script needs to be great, and it needs to have a hook, a great logline, a killer concept. Any old generic genre script won't cut it anymore, you need this to attract bigger talent and make your film stand out from the other countless genre DTV movies made every year.
A big time writer is not a necessity. Nobody really cares about writers, but if you can use their previous work in your marketing it's always a plus, for example "From the writer of 'insert big studio picture here'"

-Experienced director: This is a must, the director must have recent experience in directing movies of the same budget range and caliber.
If you are making a $3M action movie and your director's only credit includes directing a $10k horror movie it's probably not gonna work.
Again, if you have a former big time studio director who's either a name himself or who's previous work you can use in your marketing, it is a definite plus, but again not a necessity if the rest of your package is great.

-Experienced producer/production company: The producer(s) and/or production company must be an experienced one with a long track record of succesfully producing movies in the same budget range that your new movie is in.

I would say that those are your most important elements of your package. If you don't have all of those in place, you are going to have a hard time getting any meaningful pre-sales.

Also, if you don't have a long track record of producing movies in the same budget range and genre and if you haven't done business with the biggest buyers and distributors before, I'd say it's impossible to get pre-sales without a sales agent.

You need a good sales agent.
But remember, it doesn't necessarily have to be a company, a sales agent can be just one person.

What is the budget of your movie? Pre-sales are rarely done on on movies budgeted under $1.5M. Why? Because in order to get pre-sales, you need major talent, and to get major talent you need a budget that will not only accomodate the talent's salaries, but is enough to actually make a movie that has a certain level of production value.
The big names will not appear in movies that they think are beneath them.

Out of $1.5M about $600k-$700k should go to name talent, and the rest for production, this will be enough to attract some mid level B-list talent.

But if you are making a $600k budgeted movie out of which you are spending $500k on talent, they will not do it, because they expect their projects to be on a certain level.
The talent's agents and managers will advise them to stay away from a project like this, because they know with only $100k going towards production the movie will look like total crap.

Needless to say if you want pre-sales your movie needs to be bonded, insured and you have to include at least a 10% contingency in your budget.
You also need an experienced line producer or a UPM to make you a budget.
You can't cut corners here, for example every crew member will be paid a standard rate in the budget, even though you might be able to cut deals with several crew members, the bonding company will not allow it in your budget. If a standard rate for a grip is say $250 a day, that is what you put in the budget, even though you have a friend who you can hire as a grip for $50 a day, the bonding company will not allow you to put that in the budget.

It's not impossible to get pre-sales, but you need a package that has all of the needed elements.

Actually, studios and some investors do care who the writer is. As an agent told me when I.was in Los Angeles, the studios.have a list of writers they will deal with. The list tells the studio how bankable a writer is and for what genre. The writer must have a pre-existing track record in being bankable in a genre to get on their list.

Just last year an investor I met in a Pizzarea Uno's in NY preached the same criteria about starting off with a bankable writer from the list the studios use per genre.

I still have the investors business card. His company wants guarenttees they will get their money back. It starts with a bankable writer.

Last edited:
Once again, E.D. is dead-on accurate. The harsh reality when it
comes to pre-sales is it starts with a bankable actor and an
experienced director. The script needs to be up to par, too, but
the name of the writer is irrelevant.

Viva, I don't have any links; I’m quite sure that successful film
prospectuses
are not put on the internet by the producer or
the entity financing the project. I may be wrong and I hope if
you do find the links you will come back and post them. I’ve
been involved in financing many projects and there isn’t something
that a successful one has that and unsuccessful one doesn’t have.
I wish it were that easy - copy the successful prospectus five
times, get five projects financed. But each project is different.
Just as each territory is different when looking into pre-sales.

If you have everything E.D. says you need then looking at other
successful film prospectuses really won't make much difference.

Thank you, everybody, for your wisdom.

At present, I'm being led to believe that the budget is left out of pre-sales prospectuses, because once a distributor sees it, they'll base their offer on that, rather than the merits of the script, cast, genre, etc., which could net a larger sum had the budget not been revealed.

But of course, everything about EuropeanDistributor's post not only makes sense, but is advised (/confirmed) elsewhere.

Last edited:
Thank you, everybody, for your wisdom.

At present, I'm being led to believe that the budget is left out of pre-sales prospectuses,
You are correct. Which is why for pre-sales you need everything
E.D. mentioned - name actors, an experienced director and an
producer with a track record. That’s what territories that will pay
you up front will want to see.

The only fault at the moment is that I'm the writer, producer and director, which E.D. would make out dooms the project.
No, it doesn't doom the project - it means pre-sales are not what
you should be trying for. For distributors to give you money before
you make the film you need the track record.
An industry insider, however, whom I spoke with at a festival, so really can't use his name to endorse anything, told me that getting a seasoned Line Producer, DoP and Sound Technician, with meaningful credits, could potentially ease the concerns of distributors.
This is quite true. But what distributors are looking for is either a
completed movie or - if agreeing to pay you up front before you
make the movie - name talent and a producer and director with
a track record. An experienced tech crew will suggest the movie
will get made, but the distributor needs to sell the movie to an
audience. An audience isn't interested in the DP, sound recordist
or the line producer. When trying for pre-sales you will need more
than an experience tech crew - although that will help.

You just might have to find financing and not try for pre-sales. And
reading other pre-sales prospectuses on line will not be of much
use to you.

Without a strong track record of money making films I do
not see why a distributor would pay you money before you
make a movie. Even if you have a seasoned Line Producer,
DoP and Sound Technician with meaningful credits.

Cutting out the middle-man (sales rep) for higher returns
does not seem like a good business plan. A good sales rep
understands the market and the distributors - that's what
you pay for. And then know how to make great deals. Are
you sure you can make a better deal than an experienced
sales rep? Do you have that kind of experience with distributors?

You say you already have a completed distributor prospectus.
It won't hurt to send it to the distributors you have researched
to see what they say. Maybe your script and setting and genre
along with your seasoned Line Producer, DoP and Sound Technician
will be enough.

About the need for a bankable writer, I don't have inside info, but big movies have been made from scripts by unknowns. I believe "Gran Torino" came from an unknown. But the main point is, regardless of a name, a script is something that's already complete and can be fully assessed on its own merits. They have a way of generating their own energy and momentum. A-list writers submit a lot crap scripts actually. Writing is hard, even for the guys at the highest levels of the industry. Or put it this way: What would you rather have, a lousy script from an A list screenwriter or a great one from an unknown? I'd want the latter.

btw, great post there ED.

I was approached by a film sales agent who forwarded my information to a potential investor. I named an Emmy award winning TV science fiction writer I can add into the series, if the investors are willing to put up the money for me to get him attached. I met the writer at NATPE one year and we've stayed in contact ever since.

If that floats their boat for funding, I can get them a big name TV science fiction writer. With two industry people telling me I cannot get an investor or studio without one, I've got one lined up if they require it. Stay tuned.

Does this mean that you don't yet have a script?
Not trying to start anything, but I'm curious as to why you'd be building a proposal without a project.

Still, let's keep our fingers crossed for us both.

I'm revising the script. A TV series is a different animal. In the proposal I showed here, they brought on Harlan Ellison to be the story editor and to write the story bible for the series. I'm offering to bring in an award winning writer as a story editor and to help with the bible and to write some episodes. It is best to have a team of writers for a series.

I'm still waiting on a reply. When more than one party is involved a reply can take time. The conversation I had with the investor was for a TV series. The investor I spoke with last year, who I will also contact asked for a TV writer with a known track record of making money. I have such a writer to offer him. The writer may be with the WGA and I am not. But, he is also a producer for network TV. So, we will work out a way to get him into the series, if investors and / or a TV network require it. And, to get someone of his caliber, they will have to pay his price if they really want him.

If there is one thing I've learned over the years is to play my hand with more than one option to increase the chances for success.

Right, gotcha now why a successful, respected writer is a bonus: for a film, it's a one-off project, whereas a TV series requires components to link together, so a story arc lasts 12-24 episodes rather than 1.5-2 hours.

And, DAMN, Harlan Ellison is certainly an A-list name to attach to a project! Not many writers who aren't also directors are even known, but a lot of people know this bloke (even if not his credits).

Keep us apprised.

Back