• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Actors Rappelling Down A Rope

The scene I'm trying to create is two actors rappelling down a rope from the middle of a high bridge. What are my best options to making it look real on film?

I'm fine with the shot being 300 feet away.

I think I'm going to try to find out if I can get a permit to use a dummy. Does this seem like a waste of time?

How difficult would it be to CGI this being a shot 300 ft away? I haven't done any green screen stuff before. Could I green screen the actor on the rope holding on. Then size it down and then slide the actor down the rope in AE?

I'm guessing this is low-budget? Is it possible to get permits and a stunt supervisor and stuntmen and do it for real?

A lot of closeups have been done repelling, where you essentially see the people form a profile and them going down a greenscreen.

I'm guessing this is low-budget? Is it possible to get permits and a stunt supervisor and stuntmen and do it for real?

A lot of closeups have been done repelling, where you essentially see the people form a profile and them going down a greenscreen.

Micro budget (1k). So definitely can't get stunt supervisors and stunt men.

I'd honestly be happy with the look of a dummy attached to the rope rappelling but i'm not sure if the city would let me get a permit for that or if i'd even need one?

Possible dumb question:

Maybe there's a way of (cheaply) getting your hands on some stock footage-that might be tough given that if you have a specific bridge in mind, that might get difficult-just wonder what you could do with some footage of people scaling just a bridge in general, and with the magic of editing work it through?

Just a suggestion :)

I would think you'd still need a permit even for dummies, as you are doing stuff on city property-as to cost, that I don't know-I live in a small town where I got free permission from the town to shoot, but a bigger city might cost some.

If you can get the permits, repelling isn't that hard to do. Hell, I've repelled anywhere from 20-100 ft. out of a helicopter before, and higher than that on regular repels. Now as for the camera work, I would suggest reviewing some films that are heavy with this sort of thing. I think you could pull off some real, as in not CGI, cool shots.

Back