• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Action movie cliches

Foreign bad guys.

I recognize that not all of us here are American, but for those here in the ole US there has always, always been the McCarthyism trope. From the early westerns fighting Native Americans to sleeper cell spies, nothing says "evil" like an accent. Because 'Murica.

Something that bothered me - People in the passenger seat never use the emergency break. It's usually between the two front seats, and the passenger always sits there acting like they're helpless screaming stop the car.

...That's kinda pushing it (no pun intended). It's 50/50 on emergency brakes between pedals and grippers. It's up to the driver to maintain control of their vehicle ...however I will add that I hate it when someone is about to wreck head on into a gasoline truck ...so they hold their arm in front of their face and scream (like this is going to somehow help at 70 mph).

-Birdman

...That's kinda pushing it (no pun intended). It's 50/50 on emergency brakes between pedals and grippers. It's up to the driver to maintain control of their vehicle ...however I will add that I hate it when someone is about to wreck head on into a gasoline truck ...so they hold their arm in front of their face and scream (like this is going to somehow help at 70 mph).

-Birdman

I would not hesitate to yank the emergency brake and exit a crazy driving vehicle

Hi all, first time post here. I had to register to add something to this thread (was about to register anyway, though).

It drives me CRAZY when in seemingly every movie where someone has a revolver, they always have to swing the cylinder out and spin it, whereupon it makes that horrible cliche clicky-ratchety sound! Anyone who has ever handled a real revolver knows that revolver cylinders do not make that sound in real life. They spin totally silently. Yet in practically every movie in the history of cinema, the sound supervisor or someone in the foley department, or someone else without a clue dubs that in, believing that it adds drama or something (besides absurd non-realism).

It only does two things when they dub that sound: (1) It leads gun-naive viewers to believe in error that revolver cylinders make that sound, and (2) annoys the hell out of people who have ever actually handled a real revolver anytime in their life.

Hi all, first time post here. I had to register to add something to this thread (was about to register anyway, though).

It drives me CRAZY when in seemingly every movie where someone has a revolver, they always have to swing the cylinder out and spin it, whereupon it makes that horrible cliche clicky-ratchety sound! Anyone who has ever handled a real revolver knows that revolver cylinders do not make that sound in real life. They spin totally silently. Yet in practically every movie in the history of cinema, the sound supervisor or someone in the foley department, or someone else without a clue dubs that in, believing that it adds drama or something (besides absurd non-realism).

It only does two things when they dub that sound: (1) It leads gun-naive viewers to believe in error that revolver cylinders make that sound, and (2) annoys the hell out of people who have ever actually handled a real revolver anytime in their life.

Another Chimp?! Yay! :lol:

Haha! You guys ar-

OH NO!!!!! STTTTOOOOPPPPPP. HEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'SSSS NOOOTTT JOOOKKKIINNNNGGGG AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

----

Hi everyone. This is Homicidal Chimp. I'd like to let you all now that I don't like people copying me. I'd like all the monkeys on this site to swing on over to another rainforest... you wouldn't like to end up like our friend here, ChimpPhobia, would you? :devil:

Heh heh... that's right, I'm everywhere at once and nowhere, too. You'll never see me until the instant after you smell me coming up behind you. And by then it's too late. Chimps don't take showers, you see. The output end of a chimp's alimentary canal is a place you don't want to be too close to. Ever.

Bruce Willis, Mat Damon, and Daniel Radcliffe.

Can't stand seeing them in every action movie.

Especially bruce willis ..

Every one knows how much action pact or athletic he is in real life compared to Jackie chan or any other action heroes.
Well , that's what screenplay, story and direction is capable of creating a character in unimaginable but expressed in trust worthy to SCREEN.

What might be the things, that jackie chan movies missing ? (with out respect to their acting skill)

No matter how much you blame Bruce willis level of maturity in social life .....
still , he is capable of playing a role of matured mind professor !!!????

Is it because of him or the screenwriter, director , story writer or all the three.

IT'S EASY TO SAY CAMERA LOVES HIM THAT WAY.....
wHY IS HE NOT LOVED AND LIKE IN ALL OF HIS ACTION MOVIES THE SAME WAY AS IN DIE HARD SERIES.

LUCKY BASTARD !!! WILLIS.
PATHETIC JACKIE ? MAY BE YESS!!!!!!!!

The protagonist is:
1 - Professional car driver
2 - Professional pilot
3 - Professional biker
4 - Professional sword/stick/bar fighter
5 - Professional sniper/shooter
6 - Professional hacker
7 - Professional swimmer
8 - Knows how to disarm any complicated bomb
9 - Needs to say a few words to a woman, and she will do whatever he asks her
10 - Always drifts his car on turns, even if he drives at 20 km/sec

The antagonist:
1 - Always have to reveal his plans at the end.
2 - If he can kill the protagonist, he still has to tell how genius he is.
3 - If he is a terrorist - it must be Russian or Muslem

3 - If he is a terrorist - it must be Russian or Muslem

I'm going to have to say no to this one. There's a pretty wide variety of terrorists in movies. You may see more Muslim/Russian lately because of recent historical events, but if you go back to the 70's on up you'll find a very wide variety of nationalities and religions.

....I suspect you are young?

-Birdman

I'm going to have to say no to this one. There's a pretty wide variety of terrorists in movies. You may see more Muslim/Russian lately because of recent historical events, but if you go back to the 70's on up you'll find a very wide variety of nationalities and religions.

....I suspect you are young?

-Birdman

Ok, I forgot to mention the Irish. And yes. I'm young. 24.

But if we're talking about historical events, then the Cold War is not something "lately". 70's were nearly the peak of it.

Ok, I forgot to mention the Irish. And yes. I'm young. 24.

But if we're talking about historical events, then the Cold War is not something "lately". 70's were nearly the peak of it.

The Cold War wasn't a template for terrorism. When you talk "Cold War" you talk "spies" and "secret agents". You didn't get your full dose of terrorism until after 1979 and the Ayatollah Khomeini. 80's and 90's spawned all nationalities of terrorists including home-grown terrorists and thieves posing as terrorists.

With a preponderance of terrorism coming from the Middle East right now, sure, you're going to see more movies dealing with Muslim-themed terrorists. You can't say that's "cliche" though because it's just the way things are. That would be like saying "Africa" is used too often in movies where people are hunting rhinoceroses.

Verdict: Muslims and Russians are not cliche terrorists. ...Sorry!

-Birdman

Back