• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Act One

I'm trying to work out the order of events in my first act right now.
My thoughts are that Act 1 should involve three things:

1. Get the audience behind the protagonist
2. Give the audience just enough information so they understand the full impact of the inciting incident
3. Inciting Incident

Sometimes the inciting incident is so universally understandable that not much else is needed before.
Also, the inciting incident can be the same as the Act I climax, or the climax could come a bit later.

(of course any disagreements or thoughts about everything above are welcome too)

My problem is as follows:

To me, it seems like the best order is to get the audience familiar w/ the protagonist first (empathy, etc.)
Then, setup the inciting incident.

But I wonder if the reverse would ever work, if there are any good film examples?
Where the information needed to setup the effect of the inciting incident comes first, and then we get to know the protagonist second (followed by the inciting incident third).

The way I had written my script originally, the first sequence does familiarize the audience w/ the protagonist, but its main point is to set up the effect of the inciting incident. I then have another scene after that should really get the audience behind the protagonist even more, and later in that same scene the inciting incident happens.

I'm worried that the empathetic effect from that scene comes too late.

The other way to write it would be to rewrite that scene, without the inciting incident, and put it before the other sequence. That would allow the audience to connect w/ the protagonist sooner, but at least at this moment doesn't seem to flow as naturally and doesn't seem as economical (I'd have to write in another scene later for the inciting incident).

Any advice is appreciated. :)

I don't think it's a first or second thing.

The most clear, obvious example is ”Star Wars”. The
“inciting incident” is set up first. Then the protagonist is
introduced.

Or you could say that the protagonist is introduced and then the
“inciting incident” is set up. The reason one could make a good
argument for either is because they are both deeply intertwined.

You could say that showing the Rebel ship (and the Princess)
captured at the beginning of the story isn’t really the “inciting
incident” - that the “inciting incident” is the death of Luke’s
aunt and uncle which comes after the introduction of the
protagonist. But the capture of the Princess is the overall
“inciting incident” while the death of Owen and Beru are the
“inciting incident” for Luke.

If in your story you are worried that the empathetic effect comes
too late, then it does.

Last edited:
I'm trying to work out the order of events in my first act right now.
My thoughts are that Act 1 should involve three things:

1. Get the audience behind the protagonist
2. Give the audience just enough information so they understand the full impact of the inciting incident
3. Inciting Incident

Sometimes the inciting incident is so universally understandable that not much else is needed before.
Also, the inciting incident can be the same as the Act I climax, or the climax could come a bit later.

(of course any disagreements or thoughts about everything above are welcome too)

Any advice is appreciated. :)

My first reply here..

It should be Mandatory that EVERYONE go buy the book, "Save the Cat" by Blake Snyder. I've read it like 4 times now.. I'm not a screen writer, but it sure makes me what to write a screen play.

-Richard

Back