Acquring a Robot

Here's a long shot. I'm shooting an episode of a webseries that involves a robot. I'm looking for something that could possibly be rolled around on a skateboard or mini dolly, but more specifically, an R2-D2-ish structure around 4 feet in height. I know this sounds rather silly to ask, but does anyone have any familiarity with building or renting something like this? If you have any ideas, or possibly a story relating to this matter, I'd love to hear.

Thanks!

I know this sounds rather silly to ask, but does anyone have any familiarity with building or renting something like this?
Why do you think this sounds silly? We're all filmmakers - we
always need props for our movies. If you want to rent here
is a good resource - you're in the right area to find props, that's
for sure:
http://www.la411.com/Props_Wardrobe/category-cid-50443.htm

I would suggest ISS - if they don't have what you want they
can make it. Technical Props, Inc. right there in North Hollywood
might have something you can adapt to your needs.

Where's that Indie Filmmaker DIY spirit? This is supposed to be the fun part of filmmaking!

This time of year there are plenty of lights, styrofoam Xmas trees, etc. on clearance sale that you could use to create your own robot. Radio Shack probably is trying to empty out their inventory of RC cars. Even if you don't want to do it yourself there's probably quite a few up-and-coming prop makers in your part of the world who would jump at the chance.

Back