• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Abandoned High School Music Video (The Wild Wild - "Wake Up")

Hey everyone! We snuck into an abandoned high school to shoot this music video about a year ago and it was just released yesterday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8to-tQezxow

Some notes:

We shot on a Sony A7s with old Nikon lenses (Ais 28mm & 50mm) and a DJI Ronin M. It was all natural light except for the scenes on the auditorium stage, funnily enough, the lights you can see in those shots are actually the cell phone flashlights of all of the crew members. The auditorium was darker to the naked eye than it was exposed on the camera monitor, I felt like I was cheating physics with the a7s.

I grabbed a can of “Atmosphere Aerosol” to haze up the rooms and so that we could see her flashlight beam every now and then. That stuff is pricey at like $18/can, but it’s so convenient to just toss it into a backpack and go.

This was a very unscripted shoot, I just had a vague storyline in my head: she sings the opening verse walking past a bunch of lockers, then explores a ton, we shoot a complete performance in one of the classrooms so we always have something to go back to, and then she finally ends up on the stage.

That outline was a reaction to the fact that originally this shoot was supposed to be for another band, with a completely different song, but they backed out literally the day before. So we did a bit of scrambling because I knew that if I canceled it I might never get back into the school. I reached out to a friend who owns a studio and he put me in touch with The Wild Wild and the rest is history I guess.

Originally the girl wandering around the school was supposed to be half of the video. The other half was going to feature the band playing in a classroom and eventually on the auditorium stage.

Any feedback/thoughts/questions are welcome!

- Luke

Fucking A had to watch again. You are talented man.

Hey everyone! We snuck into an abandoned high school to shoot this music video about a year ago and it was just released yesterday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8to-tQezxow

Some notes:

We shot on a Sony A7s with old Nikon lenses (Ais 28mm & 50mm) and a DJI Ronin M. It was all natural light except for the scenes on the auditorium stage, funnily enough, the lights you can see in those shots are actually the cell phone flashlights of all of the crew members. The auditorium was darker to the naked eye than it was exposed on the camera monitor, I felt like I was cheating physics with the a7s.

I grabbed a can of “Atmosphere Aerosol” to haze up the rooms and so that we could see her flashlight beam every now and then. That stuff is pricey at like $18/can, but it’s so convenient to just toss it into a backpack and go.

This was a very unscripted shoot, I just had a vague storyline in my head: she sings the opening verse walking past a bunch of lockers, then explores a ton, we shoot a complete performance in one of the classrooms so we always have something to go back to, and then she finally ends up on the stage.

That outline was a reaction to the fact that originally this shoot was supposed to be for another band, with a completely different song, but they backed out literally the day before. So we did a bit of scrambling because I knew that if I canceled it I might never get back into the school. I reached out to a friend who owns a studio and he put me in touch with The Wild Wild and the rest is history I guess.

Originally the girl wandering around the school was supposed to be half of the video. The other half was going to feature the band playing in a classroom and eventually on the auditorium stage.

Any feedback/thoughts/questions are welcome!

- Luke

I would prefer to have some lighting on her when she is in the rooms and we can't see her face clearly. But other than that this is PERFECT video and the edit is awesome. The ending on the scene is so nice!! Great, great job!

Back