AA cell 12v battery packs?

I know the standard for sound kit power are the NP1 style batteries but I've been playing with the idea of 12V packs made from conventional AA batteries. Initial tests with cheap and easily available 8 cell holders and my radio mics have been good in that they powered up and sounded nice and clean. The receivers normally take 2 9V cells but have a 12V input at the bottom. Not sure if the 2 9V cells are wired to give 18V@550mAh or 9v @1100mAh. Hoping it's the latter as that would mean they are getting fed a nice strong voltage. With current AA cells reaching up to 3600mAh compared to 9V's 550mAh (or 1100 for two) this looks like it may be a nice solution for power hungry receivers. Anyone else tried this? I'll give more details and pics if further tests are successful.

The next step would be powering my recorder off this. I do know AA cells can't deliver the same current as other, industrial style rechargeable cells can so that maybe a stumbling block.
I am a bit worried though about experimenting with my nice new shiny 744t, wondering if anyone who has a better understanding of electronics has already gone down this route or can forsee problems. Also, if the cells cannot deliver the required amperage, will wiring two packs in parallel achieve a higher current @12V???

One great advantage to these I can imagine is in the event of being without power or failure of charging devices you can power your bag from widely available AA cells

I'd be a little nervous about running two packs in tandem to up your amperage because you'll also be upping voltage. What does the power supply call for?

Good news with most modern electronics, they're smart enough not to run if they don't have enough or have too many amps, instead of burning themselves out. If you're really serious about this, voltage and amperage regulators are pretty simple circuits, you can google chematics and order the right parts from mouser for cheap.

I have the feeling you'll be spending a small fortune and changing a mess of AA batteries though. Would be nice to know how long your pack lasts!

RC car batteries, which are essentially a mess of rechargeable AA's inline, might give you better performance. And, they're rechargeable.

I got me some 12v batteries like a motorcycle battery and some voltage adapters works for me.

41TfMW%2BW16L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If i paid attention at school seem to remember that batteries in series increases voltage but in parallel increase current.
The RC packs are all 7.5V and I'm planning on using rechargeable AAs. They have become really good now and hold quite a lot of charge. Probably matching all but the highest rated disposables.
I think chucking voltage and current regulators in there may be a damn fine idea.
I really don't fancy carrying a lead battery around my neck.

Back