• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

camera A7S III - Brace yourselves!!

sfoster

Staff Member
In one week they will announce the A7S III

The A7S MkII was AMAZZZING IMO except that it was 8-bit color.
I have high hopes for the a7s III. if it gives us the same low light brilliance, but with 10 bit color I am IN!

I had been looking at the Fujifilm XT-4. A friend has one and it's pretty impressive thus far and I'm more of a Panasonic guy. But yes... I'm going to wait until the A7S III hits the streets and see what the filmmaking public thinks of it. You can't beat the price point for what it brings to the table.

I had been looking at the Fujifilm XT-4. A friend has one and it's pretty impressive thus far and I'm more of a Panasonic guy. But yes... I'm going to wait until the A7S III hits the streets and see what the filmmaking public thinks of it. You can't beat the price point for what it brings to the table.

The E2-S6 seems to be what people are going for right now but yeah i bet the a7siii is gonna rock.
the ability to shoot with only practical lighting is so amazing

Last edited:
We are truly in a time where the camera you have is but a tool, and you can make a movie on just about anything including the smartphone in your pocket.

I hope this ends the supposed ‘gear wars’ but I know it clearly won’t.

I own the A7sII and for my own personal use it’s great.

"Manufacturer will start shipping this item on 09/24/2020."
Awwww damn so you cant do any summer filming with this camera.

Last edited:
Great review... Thanks!

Seems to be an all around great camera, that touch screen to focus is amazing!
It actually exceeds my expectations. Being able to hold a gimble in one hand and touch screen to autofocus with the other .. wow.

And then to top it all off you can plug your microphone directly into it like its a camcorder??
What is also great about this camera IMO is that the A7SII really held up its price point

I kept waiting for them to get cheap and it never happened. So I'm guessing the a7sIII will have great value to resell too.
If you buy from adorama they have bundle deals for $100 off lenses. Not a big deal except for the nifty fifty, instead of $250 its $150. big bargain.

Last edited:
I think it was the touch screen focus that sold me... To be honest? I was a little worried about the 12 Megapixel sensor until I read more about here:

Will the Sony A7S III have a 48 / 12 megapixel Quad Bayer Exmor RS sensor?
Resale value did it for me.. bc this will be the last of my savings. And I generally spend my money on drs. So it’s nice I can sell it in case of a medical emergency or vet bill

I’ve never bought a camera before and I have a t2i lol I really need something better.

What concerns me is my back/spine. Idk if I’m strong enough to hold a camera and film. I know I can’t do boom anymore. so I may end up canceling my order idk. I am going to make a concerted effort this month to remedy my back. It’s going to be absolutely horrible. Bc I think the solution is to cover every inch of my skin with freezing ice. And then to endure the cold embrace of death for 200 seconds. Every day on repeat. This is supposed to be the remedy for what ails me but I cannot even tolerate a cold shower.

time for the ultimate test of what quality man I am. do you bite the bullet or the hand that feeds you?

Last edited:
Well high end ones do... For sure. But for instance, I happen to have an old Magiqam from back in the day when they were the poor man's Steadicam. Iike Harbor Freight tools, I figured it wasn't something I'd be using all that often so I spent the $1,500 for it instead of $30K for a real Steadicam. And while this is very much like an actual Steadicam, it is extremely easy on one's back but of course, it's a Steadicam-like shot you're getting and it can also be a bit clunky to use all the time.

I'm talking more along the lines of something on eBay that might work for you. I'm not sure what your back problem is but I do know a little about back pain... I've got three completely ruptured discs in my back along with one in my neck. I pretty much LIVE on a mixture of Ibuprofen and Naproxen mixed together in high doses. I may even take a little more of this crap when I'm going to shoot a camera all day.

But no... I was thinking that there may be something that could work for you... Even inexpensively. On eBay.

If not? Maybe browsing through what's for sale might even give you some other idea of how to go about shooting and keeping back pain down to a tolerable level.

Camera Stabilizer search on eBay

Maybe something like this?

Or this?

Last edited:
Foraminal stenosis is the spine problem. Swelling and nerve pain.
That shoulder mounted one is interesting. But maybe the cold immersion will do the trick

If not? Maybe browsing through what's for sale might even give you some other idea of how to go about shooting and keeping back pain down to a tolerable level.

Camera Stabilizer search on eBay

Maybe something like this?

Be careful with cheap versions of those types of shoulder rigs. I got one, and it snapped on first use. Right where the arm that hits the chest is. I barely used it, and it was gonzo. Most of them are made of plastic. You would be better off just getting a regular shoulder rig.

You could also try a body rig vest? I worked with a DP who had one, and he loved it. I don't know exactly what model it was... But they can hold pretty much any rig you throw at it.... Although I hope you have some external accessories to put with your DSLR cuz it would look pretty ridiculous using one with a vest stabilizer...

Be careful with cheap versions of those types of shoulder rigs. I got one, and it snapped on first use. Right where the arm that hits the chest is. I barely used it, and it was gonzo. Most of them are made of plastic. You would be better off just getting a regular shoulder rig.

You could also try a body rig vest? I worked with a DP who had one, and he loved it. I don't know exactly what model it was... But they can hold pretty much any rig you throw at it.... Although I hope you have some external accessories to put with your DSLR cuz it would look pretty ridiculous using one with a vest stabilizer...

True enough but I've bought several of these over the years right off eBay... Every one I've purchased was made in India or China except for my original Magiqam that was made in Northern California -- where I'm from.

You'd be surprised at how well some of these are actually made... I have a buddy who uses a rig from China who makes very good money shooting gigs with it all the time. Commercial gigs and Indie gigs. You just want to be careful with them and do your research before you buy. See if there are any reviews on Amazon for the same rig.

Took me awhile to find it:

CAME-TV

This is the company that makes the rig my buddy uses for both commercial and Indie gigs. Are they bulletproof? No. But at their price points? Fairly inexpensive to get into.

My buddy has two of these and has been using them regularly for over 3 years now:

CAME 2-12kg Load Pro Camera Video Stabilizer With Aluminum Case

Not saying that you'd even need something like this... Just wondering if there MIGHT be a compromise in there somewhere to help keep you from straining your back as little as possible.

Back