A Skeptic who wants to start a YouTube channel

I'm working on a YouTube channel on Skepticism, Critical Thinking, and social commentary. I want to learn how to make my videos well.

What do you mean by "make my videos well"? Are they sick? :rolleyes: (Sorry, I was going for the groan...) Are you asking about technical aspects? Or are you asking about content?

As a sound guy I MUST point out that you will need solid sound. I am going to assume that there will be narration. If so, it will need to be clear and understandable. This makes a decent microphone a necessity. The mic on your laptop or phone just will not cut it.

I will leave the visual aspects to others more experienced in that craft.

And a budget would be EXTREMELY helpful, as well as a list of your current assets - cameras, mics, NLE, DAW, etc., plus some idea of how you will be shooting - in a controlled environment or out in the field or both.

:welcome:

I'm sure he will embellish later in the forum. :)

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome.
What do you mean by "make my videos well"? Are they sick? :rolleyes: (Sorry, I was going for the groan...) Are you asking about technical aspects? Or are you asking about content?
Mainly talking about the technical aspects. I'd love to brainstorm content, also, if anyone is interested - but this wasn't the main reason why I joined this forum.

As a sound guy I MUST point out that you will need solid sound. I am going to assume that there will be narration. If so, it will need to be clear and understandable. This makes a decent microphone a necessity. The mic on your laptop or phone just will not cut it.
I already sorta took care of that. I have an ATR2100 USB mic. It does a pretty decent job. I'm sure I'll upgrade it, when my channel starts picking up, but for now, I think it'll do.

I will leave the visual aspects to others more experienced in that craft.

And a budget would be EXTREMELY helpful, as well as a list of your current assets - cameras, mics, NLE, DAW, etc., plus some idea of how you will be shooting - in a controlled environment or out in the field or both.
I actually thought this post was just about saying hi, so I started another post with my actual question - https://indietalk.com/threads/which-small-upgrade-should-come-first.59885/#post-438735
To make a long story short, I'm currently using my LG G6 as my camera and my dad's Dedolight spotlights (which are amazingly good, but are spotlights, not really meant to light up a subject's face, I think. I have about a hundred USD I could spend now, and I'm trying to figure out which option would make a bigger impact on my videos: I can either buy a mirrorless camera (Samsung NX3000, used) or a LED panel (was thinking of the GVM 480LS).

Back