A rather unusual need for advice!

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently working on a project using a Panasonic NV M50, which is an S-VHS camcorder. Things are generally running smoothly but I'm here looking for some advice on how i would get the footage from the S-VHS cassette onto my MAC, to then be edited in Final Cut.

I've heard of a variety of different ways but i want to be sure that it is possible before splashing out money on any potential equipment.

Thanks,

Josh

www.vimeo.com/joshsawley

I can think of 2 low-budget, low-tech ways off the top of my head:

1. If you have access to a stand-alone DVD recorder, burn a DVD then import it via your computer's DVD drive.

2. If you have access to a MiniDV camcorder, record the footage from your S-VHS camera onto DV tape, then output from the DV to your Mac.

I'm totally fine with going low-tech. I'm going to buy a VHS/DVD combo this week i think. Would i be able to literally put the VHS tape in that i have been shooting on and then have it copied over to the blank DVD? and also when inserting the DVD into my MAC, would it recognize and then let me edit it through Final Cut?

If you're shooting S-VHS but only buying a standard VHS deck, you'll lose image quality when you copy to DVD (assuming the deck even has pseudo-S playback capability). I'd go directly out from your camera into the DVD recorder, if it has input jacks (use the Y/C connection, if available).

When you put the DVD into your drive you should be able to import the footage as a video file that FC will recognize. It will be MPEG-2, I believe, which isn't the greatest for editing so you may want to convert it in FC to a different format.

Actually, it just occurred to me that, if you can get your hands on a MiniDV camera you proabably wouldn't even need to record to tape, just use the camera as a codec -- come in via video in and out via firewire. You'll get a little better quality from DV than MPEG (I think).

I'm not sure if the tapes i'm using at the moment for tests are VHS or S-VHS but they are the full size ones, not VHS-C. I haven't really experimented with VHS before so apologies if I'm taking a while to understand.

Could you possibly link me to an example of the VHS deck you mentioned? and do you know if this method would 100% work because i looked at the cheap option of the "roxio vhs to dvd" but all ive heard is bad news so i will avoid that.

"Actually, it just occurred to me that, if you can get your hands on a MiniDV camera you proabably wouldn't even need to record to tape, just use the camera as a codec -- come in via video in and out via firewire. You'll get a little better quality from DV than MPEG (I think)."

Do you mean it would go

VHS DECK > DV CAM > IMAC

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently working on a project using a Panasonic NV M50, which is an S-VHS camcorder. Things are generally running smoothly but I'm here looking for some advice on how i would get the footage from the S-VHS cassette onto my MAC, to then be edited in Final Cut.

I've heard of a variety of different ways but i want to be sure that it is possible before splashing out money on any potential equipment.

Thanks,

Josh

www.vimeo.com/joshsawley

Something like the Canopus ADVC300 would be a good choice. I work with a lot of old footage, 8mm and vhs, the TBS in the Canopus box will do a good job of cleaning up older footage.

What you'll wanna do is to first turn off you Ace of Base album, change out of your flannel shirt, walk past your Super Nintendo, resist the temptation to watch this week's newest episode of "Saved by the Bell", start up that flux-capacitor and come back to the future.

There is no reason for you to shoot on S-VHS, other than to say you did it. The equipment needed to hook it up to your mac will cost darn-near as much as an inexpensive new camcorder, which will far excede the image quality of that dinosaur you're holding onto.

You're not going to get any kind of antique look using S-VHS, if that's what you're trying to do. All you'll get is a low resolution, without much color clarity. That can be done in post.

What you'll wanna do is to first turn off you Ace of Base album, change out of your flannel shirt, walk past your Super Nintendo, resist the temptation to watch this week's newest episode of "Saved by the Bell", start up that flux-capacitor and come back to the future.

There is no reason for you to shoot on S-VHS, other than to say you did it. The equipment needed to hook it up to your mac will cost darn-near as much as an inexpensive new camcorder, which will far excede the image quality of that dinosaur you're holding onto.

You're not going to get any kind of antique look using S-VHS, if that's what you're trying to do. All you'll get is a low resolution, without much color clarity. That can be done in post.

Okay you've changed my mind, I'll go out and buy a RED. Thanks buddy.

mmmmmmmmmmmm...snarky. But the pure fact of it is that your medium will be looked down on no matter what by a majority of people, and for good reason. There is no way you'll get even a decent image through vhs tapes, simply no resolution. Whatever your reason (budget, "experimental") there is no logical reason in this day and age to have to resort to vhs. Doing so will just curse your projects with the appearance of laziness.

I don't think he meant you need to go buy the best, but I'm fairly sure if you went and picked up a flip cam, for >$300 it would have better quality then what you are using now. I say that without at all trying to sound like a jerk. It would just make things for you much easier.

Dude, I'm shooting low-budget like a mo-fo. I'm not saying you have to spend a bunch of money. I'm saying you're talking about using your budget on entirely the wrong thing. Instead of spending money to adapt an antiquated, useless technology, why not spend LESS to buy something better? Do you know how many miniDV camcorders are available for less than $200? Imagine what you could get your hands on if you considered buying used, on ebay?

Shooting on S-VHS is completely different than, say, shooting on Super 8. Super 8 is a different medium altogether, so although it's old, you can't really argue against someone who wants to use it, because they will get an entirely different aesthetic than by shooting on video. You, however, want to shoot on the EXACT same technology as what most people are shooting on today. Digital/analogue -- doesn't matter -- video is video. The footage you will get on S-VHS will look the same as the footage you will get on miniDV, except shitty.

Working in digital will be tremendously easier, will produce better results, and doesn't have to cost barely a cent more than the figures you're already tossing around.

I concur with mr. C. Funk, but with my own riff.

I DIG the idea of going low tech, but I would offer that your not going LOW ENOUGH, its just old and crappy, not Old and cool. Maybe super 8 film WOULD meet your needs. Its old, its cheap gear, looks beautiful in the right hands, you can really get your hooks into the meat of making movies. There is an entire sub culture of super 8 fanatics.. not so with vhs. Having a support group of like minded folks can really lift you up...

Do some soul searching. What is it that YOU LOVE to do? What is it about making movies that is interesting to you?

Back