A Michael Bay Career Retrospective

michael bays films are an insult to human intelligence. so is 98 percent of hollywood films for that matter.

why do americans hate thinking? obviously not everyone can be intellectually stimulated all of the time, we need some entertainment, but its reached the point where quality, artistic filmmaking has no place in hollywood.

its sad, and frightening.

Chris Nolan has shown Bay how to direct big bang blockbusters. Inception, was intelligent without losing any of it's impact. Pearl Harbour should never have been as bad as it was and transformer's is beyond bad. The Rock is by far his best film, and that was only down to the fact Connery and Cage were half decent.

michael bays films are an insult to human intelligence. so is 98 percent of hollywood films for that matter.

why do americans hate thinking? obviously not everyone can be intellectually stimulated all of the time, we need some entertainment, but its reached the point where quality, artistic filmmaking has no place in hollywood.

its sad, and frightening.

I'm an American, Intellectual, and I haven't seen a Bay film I haven't liked yet... I love his films! THey're a nice break from thinking.

I'm an American, Intellectual, and I haven't seen a Bay film I haven't liked yet... I love his films! THey're a nice break from thinking.

Agreed. Actually, there are a couple Micheal Bay films that I'm not particularly fond of, but that's beside the point. I don't think being able to relax your brain, every now and then, is tantamount to lack of intellectualism.

I have no problem with Michael Bay movies. I just don't usually watch them. I don't hate the man, just don't like his movies that much... except:

I cried in ARMAGEDDON.

Seriously.

THey're a nice break from thinking.

Hmm. I can appreciate a dumb movie if it's entertaining (see the StarCrash trailer in the other thread). But when watching a MB movie I feel like Private Pyle in Full Metal Jacket being screamed at by R. Lee Ermey that I'm a worthless maggot who should only think when instructed to do so. Not a pleasant experience for me. Probably why I never joined the military. :hmm:

I think his movies serve a certain audience at a certain time.
See, for example. I spent almost a week watching Tarantino and Rodriguez movies, every night, before bed. I couldn't get enough of them. Now, I need a break from that, and at the time, I am watching things like Easy A, Zack and Miri, The Rocker. Movies that are certainy not intellectual masterpices with priceless dialogue, but they do make me laugh and are quite the thing to unwind to. UNWIND. Easy with those dirty minds.

fifty foot robots duke it out over attractive people.

actually most films are such films, that's why I find them to be so annoying.
however, as long as someone admits that everything s/he wants is the audience to be entertained I'm okay with that, because at least they're honest. what I can't stand are directors who talk about the "deeper meaning" one ought to find in their films or how much they despise "Hollywood" when really their films aren't any different from those of the others.

Last edited:
Back