• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch A lil US history

C'MON KIDS, GIT IN THE CAR, WE'RE GOIN' TO A NATINAL MON YOO MENT T'DAY. HOL' UP, BERTHA, I F'GOT MAH WHAITE ROBE.

Hey, although nowhere near as cool as John Wilkes Booth's death spot, this reminds me of some video's my brother-in-law and I made for his youtube show.
This one is of the spot where the first reaping machine was tested. (exciting I know)
Never mind the corny intro, and the audio was ruined because we were near a waste water treatment plant or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKW52K3ipO0

We have done four of these so far, including the birthplace of a sculptor and one of the mason-dixon markers.

We would've stopped and read that. Just remember, the reaping machine was just the beginning of something. What? I don't know. But, someone saw that reap and something else came from it.

I love the backroads. It's the only way to see the US.

Have you ever driven down Route 66? Somehow we picked it up near the Grand Canyon and took it partially back to Las Vegas. We were the only car on that Route the entire time. Windows open, radio blasting, it was heaven.

Interesting! Of course, as a sound guy, I've gotta ask.."Did you get permission to use that music?" If not, you are in violation of copywright. Kind of a pet peeve of mine

Interesting! Of course, as a sound guy, I've gotta ask.."Did you get permission to use that music?" If not, you are in violation of copywright. Kind of a pet peeve of mine

Absolutely not, I never ask permission. Since I'm not selling it, or trying to make any money off it, putting it on TV or using the songs in narrative subjects, it's OKAY to an extent. The record companies know it's there, if they don't want it posted, I change the music. Whenever you put anything up on youtube, vimeo, myspace etc, companies know immediately what music is being used. If the artist or company has a problem with it, you won't be able to post it at all. If someone sends a company or artist a specific request they'll review it (if they care). But for the most part, unless something is being abused they don't care.

If you notice a "Buy this Song" pop up shows when many videos play. It's free advertisement.

I once used a tiny 3 second piece of a Page and Plant song for the wait-line at a Disney ride. It was refused immediately. How they even knew was beyond me.

Last edited:
I understand. And of course you'd have no problem with others taking your footage and using it in their own work without permission and/or credit.

And while you think it's "Okay" based on your use, according to the law, and ethically, it is not okay.

I have to say that your lack of ethics in this area opens the door for questions in other areas. I have turned down more than one project where when googling the director/producer, I discovered copywright infringment issues and received responses similar to yours. Most professionals I know will walk away from work where the principals have no respect for protected material.

Please consider soliciting local musicians for this stuff and I'm sure you will find several who would be willing to provide music simply for credit rather than using other peoples copywrighting material without their permission.

QUOTE=ussinners;139053]Absolutely not, I never ask permission. Since I'm not selling it, or trying to make any money off it, putting it on TV or using the songs in narrative subjects, it's OKAY to an extent. The record companies know it's there, if they don't want it posted, I change the music. Whenever you put anything up on youtube, vimeo, myspace etc, companies know immediately what music is being used. If the artist or company has a problem with it, you won't be able to post it at all. If someone sends a company or artist a specific request they'll review it (if they care). But for the most part, unless something is being abused they don't care.

If you notice a "Buy this Song" pop up shows when many videos play. It's free advertisement.

I once used a tiny 3 second piece of a Page and Plant song for the wait-line at a Disney ride. It was refused immediately. How they even knew was beyond me.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I understand. And of course you'd have no problem with others taking your footage and using it in their own work without permission and/or credit.

And while you think it's "Okay" based on your use, according to the law, and ethically, it is not okay.

I have to say that your lack of ethics in this area opens the door for questions in other areas. I have turned down more than one project where when googling the director/producer, I discovered copywright infringment issues and received responses similar to yours. Most professionals I know will walk away from work where the principals have no respect for protected material.

Please consider soliciting local musicians for this stuff and I'm sure you will find several who would be willing to provide music simply for credit rather than using other peoples copywrighting material without their permission.

QUOTE=ussinners;139053]Absolutely not, I never ask permission. Since I'm not selling it, or trying to make any money off it, putting it on TV or using the songs in narrative subjects, it's OKAY to an extent. The record companies know it's there, if they don't want it posted, I change the music. Whenever you put anything up on youtube, vimeo, myspace etc, companies know immediately what music is being used. If the artist or company has a problem with it, you won't be able to post it at all. If someone sends a company or artist a specific request they'll review it (if they care). But for the most part, unless something is being abused they don't care.

I once used a tiny 3 second piece of a Page and Plant song for the wait-line at a Disney ride. It was refused immediately. How they even knew was beyond me.
[/QUOTE]

It's not footage, it's a song where the company knows it's being used. But, why don't you write to youtube, Miranda Lambert's record company and Miranda herself. Put copyright infringement in the subject and I'm sure they'll read it. They might have me remove it. They might not.

Also, I do give the artist credit, and youtube gives the artist credit, and the record companies know about it. I have videos up where they're posted at the artist's site, because people have seen them and want to share them with other fans.

You're talking apples and oranges. These videos don't promote me, they don't promote work, they don't promote anything. They're just fun.

I understand completely what you're saying and legally you are 10000000% correct. But, with technology the way it is with youtube etc there are more then enough safety measures that artists are not being ripped off. I'm only speaking for my cheesy vacation videos, it's easier to use the songs I use for what I'm using them for, then to search out some unknown artists song. These videos aren't going anywhere. I make a DVD that Karen and I can pop in once in a blue moon and watch. I do post some on youtube where I am scrutanized by the site. I've had some up for a year or two, and I've had others removed, and others couldn't get posted.

If someone took footage from any of my cheesy videos and didn't do anything malicious with it, I don't care. If someone took footage from my movie, I would like to know what they were doing with it. Then I'd decide whether I care or not. If they weren't giving away spoilers, or doing something malicious, or trying to profit from it, I wouldn't care. I'd say thank you. It's free publicity.

This is something I'm sure we'd disagree on, and I'll use Led Zeppelin as an example. I have a ton of live Led Zeppelin bootlegs. Now, I'm sure you're position is that someone is making a profit where the artist isn't getting a dime. And you'd be right. It's completely illegal, but rabid fans want the sounds. A further argument is that fans will buy these and the artist will lose money because the fans own these illegal bootlegs. I completely disagree with that. If a fan is willing to buy some crappy recording of the band live then they will own every official studio release of that band. The only point we would probably agree on is buying or illegally downloading music or bootlegs of official releases. With this you are taking money out of the artist's pocket and putting it in thieves hands.

Last edited:
The issue of copywright infringement has NOTHING to do with profit or intent, it has to do with reproduction and disttribution without permission.

According to your approach, it's not stealing unless someone catches me and complains. Your point about the internet and "safety measures" makes this clear.

The very idea that you chose to add this music to the video indicates that, in your opinion, it ADDS something. Otherwise, you would not have used the music. You did not give the artist a choice as to whether they wanted their music to be posted on youtube as a part of your video.

You also stated that you'd have no problem with someone using your footage but you'd like to know about it and what they were doing with it and it wasn't "malicious". So why do you think it's o.k. to treat other peoples work differently.

You say they know about it. It's really your responsibility to obtain permission.

The fact that some of your material has been denied, or removed and yet you still continue to engage in this activity is interesting.

We will most likely continue to disagree on this which is o.k. I've made all the points I can make on this issue.

It's not footage, it's a song where the company knows it's being used. But, why don't you write to youtube, Miranda Lambert's record company and Miranda herself. Put copyright infringement in the subject and I'm sure they'll read it. They might have me remove it. They might not.

Also, I do give the artist credit, and youtube gives the artist credit, and the record companies know about it. I have videos up where they're posted at the artist's site, because people have seen them and want to share them with other fans.

You're talking apples and oranges. These videos don't promote me, they don't promote work, they don't promote anything. They're just fun.

I understand completely what you're saying and legally you are 10000000% correct. But, with technology the way it is with youtube etc there are more then enough safety measures that artists are not being ripped off. I'm only speaking for my cheesy vacation videos, it's easier to use the songs I use for what I'm using them for, then to search out some unknown artists song. These videos aren't going anywhere. I make a DVD that Karen and I can pop in once in a blue moon and watch. I do post some on youtube where I am scrutanized by the site. I've had some up for a year or two, and I've had others removed, and others couldn't get posted.

If someone took footage from any of my cheesy videos and didn't do anything malicious with it, I don't care. If someone took footage from my movie, I would like to know what they were doing with it. Then I'd decide whether I care or not. If they weren't giving away spoilers, or doing something malicious, or trying to profit from it, I wouldn't care. I'd say thank you. It's free publicity.

This is something I'm sure we'd disagree on, and I'll use Led Zeppelin as an example. I have a ton of live Led Zeppelin bootlegs. Now, I'm sure you're position is that someone is making a profit where the artist isn't getting a dime. And you'd be right. It's completely illegal, but rabid fans want the sounds. A further argument is that fans will buy these and the artist will lose money because the fans own these illegal bootlegs. I completely disagree with that. If a fan is willing to buy some crappy recording of the band live then they will own every official studio release of that band. The only point we would probably agree on is buying or illegally downloading music or bootlegs of official releases. With this you are taking money out of the artist's pocket and putting it in thieves hands.[/QUOTE]

The issue of copywright infringement has NOTHING to do with profit or intent, it has to do with reproduction and disttribution without permission.

According to your approach, it's not stealing unless someone catches me and complains. Your point about the internet and "safety measures" makes this clear.

The very idea that you chose to add this music to the video indicates that, in your opinion, it ADDS something. Otherwise, you would not have used the music. You did not give the artist a choice as to whether they wanted their music to be posted on youtube as a part of your video.

You also stated that you'd have no problem with someone using your footage but you'd like to know about it and what they were doing with it and it wasn't "malicious". So why do you think it's o.k. to treat other peoples work differently.

You say they know about it. It's really your responsibility to obtain permission.

The fact that some of your material has been denied, or removed and yet you still continue to engage in this activity is interesting.

We will most likely continue to disagree on this which is o.k. I've made all the points I can make on this issue.

Honestly, watching that clip, you feel I'm being malicious to the song? Am I making fun of it? Am I demeaning the artist? Am I using it behind footage that 99.99% of the population would find offensive? Is there anything you see in that video that bothers you? Besides the fact I didn't write and ask for permission.

They don't catch and complain, you just can't do it anymore. That's what you're missing. You can not put up a song on youtube from any minor or major label artist, unless they "don't really care". Those safeguards are in place. Its free publicity.

Here's an example of how tight the safeguard is.

Check out http://www.katemillerheidke.com

This is the Artist Kate Miller Heidke official home page. I saw her video on TV for "Caught in the Crowd" and really enjoyed it. So I thought I'd check out other material. Click on her VIDEOS. Remember this is her official site. Her official video site is a youtube page. You can NOT see her official videos on her official video page in the US (or at least I can't) I get a "This video is unavailable. This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is not available in your country."

How bizarre is that?

That's tight security on copyrighted music material.

Granted we'll never agree on this. But, legally you are completely correct. But, my stupid little vacation videos are seen by few, and maybe one or two of them might hear a song they like and buy the album or song. They certainly can't steal it. I'm not giving it away, or selling it. I'm not being cruel, demeaning or malicious. Most people on youtube aren't. It all works hand in hand, and the companies and artists that don't want their material used for anything, have it set up so it isn't.

We would've stopped and read that. Just remember, the reaping machine was just the beginning of something. What? I don't know. But, someone saw that reap and something else came from it.

I love the backroads. It's the only way to see the US.

Have you ever driven down Route 66? Somehow we picked it up near the Grand Canyon and took it partially back to Las Vegas. We were the only car on that Route the entire time. Windows open, radio blasting, it was heaven.

I'll drive anywhere except through Texas on backroads and through Death Valley on backroads.

Too many horror films have been made about those roads for them to be untrue.

Cute video.

I can't think of many things that are less 'ethically' wrong than using copyrighted music in family vacation videos. Legally -yes. Ethically- hardly.

its an interesting change though.. vacation videos used to have a VERY limited distribution, a short run on the family VHS and relegated to the attic.. now.. I expect that my youtube home videos WILL be available for as long as the internet exists and available to the entire world... makes me wonder if a person should perhaps Copyright his family videos..??? In 20 years when you see your sons preschool graduation as "stock footage" for a milk commercial.. cha ching! $$$

It's videos like this that make me truly believe every youtube upload should go into the national archives.

And, I'll take Ussinners side on the music debate. It's just a home movie.

sinner, we've been sent to our rooms, and we're not supposed to talk to each other, but I think an exception can be made, cuz I'll back you up on this one -- no big deal to use copywritten songs in a home video. No harm, no foul.

By the way, ROC, you can add Arkansas to that list of yours. Worst. State. Ever.

its an interesting change though.. vacation videos used to have a VERY limited distribution, a short run on the family VHS and relegated to the attic.. now.. I expect that my youtube home videos WILL be available for as long as the internet exists and available to the entire world... makes me wonder if a person should perhaps Copyright his family videos..??? In 20 years when you see your sons preschool graduation as "stock footage" for a milk commercial.. cha ching! $$$

If anyone ever wants to use my crappy shaky video, bless'em. I only put up the ones that I think strangers might have an interest in seeing. My France DVD goes for almost an hour and a half. Only two people would ever want to watch that whole thing. And it takes 3 or 4 sittings.

If anyone ever wants to use my crappy shaky video, bless'em. I only put up the ones that I think strangers might have an interest in seeing. My France DVD goes for almost an hour and a half. Only two people would ever want to watch that whole thing. And it takes 3 or 4 sittings.

new behavior here.. I think with the accessibility of editing tools, more and more "memory videos" will be edited to just a few choice moments.. . I know I am doing that now..

My wife is surprised when I edit a birthday video down to 30 seconds. Memory is selective.. so why not family video..

new behavior here.. I think with the accessibility of editing tools, more and more "memory videos" will be edited to just a few choice moments.. . I know I am doing that now..

My wife is surprised when I edit a birthday video down to 30 seconds. Memory is selective.. so why not family video..

I gotta learn that. I'm making a Bush Kills Fall video right now, and it's going to be about 10 minutes long.

Selective yes, but what might not be important to one, might be sentimental to another. If you have an hour of a birthday party. Uncle Charlie making some goofy face might make the cutting room floor, where your wife might have enjoyed seeing it.

Back