A funny thing happened......

For years I've had a basic idea for a suspense/thriller/horror. It was based on a true event that happen not to far from where I live.

This is a link to one article about the event, in case anyone is interested. Not necessary to read, to continue with this post. Only added it for the curious.

http://www.unexplainable.net/true-s...ue_story_worse_than_any_horror_movie_ever.php

While I had the basis for my film, I hadn't yet come up with a complete story. Fast forward a year or so, and I suddenly, in my head, started formulating an opening scene. That was about this time last year. I had decided to film my idea in the spring (last spring). Around that time, a major shift at my day job, created an overload of hours, all of which fell on my shoulders. I was never able to move forward with my idea.

During all these long hours at work, my mind had continued to replay this scene over and over again, in my mind. Every so often the idea gets tweaked ever so slightly. So much so, it has now evolved away from the original "general" premis (that had hints of the events in that article), to something totally independent. I've yet to put this into a script, but can see every detail of this opening scene, as if it has already been filmed.

My workload, or the hours I put in every week (80 plus hours a week) hasn't slowed down, nor do I see an end to it just yet. But I'm hoping now to start filming this idea, in the spring once again. Although the fall leaves are starting to convince me, that my outdoor scenes should be fall in color. I'd hate to have to push it to fall next year.

I still haven't gotten past the opening scene, but I feel I've laid some great ground work, for th rest of the script. And filming this might just be in inspiration I need to come up with the rest of the story.

Thanks for reading, I know this wasn't much of anything. Just feeling inspired, and don't have much of a creative outlet at this time, and wanted to share with everyone here.

I guess the funny thing that happen, was how my idea has transformed into its current state, just by replaying in my mind over and over again.

Jeff

Last edited:
filming this might just be in inspiration I need to come up with the rest of the story.

I reckon you'd be better off completing the story first. You've already noted the huge evolution of story changes from actual events into your opening scene. What are you going to do, if after you've filmed it, the rest of your story changes and evolves so much that you can't even make that opening fit any more?

Steve, you could be correct. The original intent for the story is still intact, just the the ideas that used the situation from the article posted.

The opening scene just briefly introduces you to a character, and a situation that may or may not have taken place. I haven't decided, based on how the rest of the story goes, whether what we see is something that has happened in her past, and has brought her to her current situation, and what makes up the core of her character. Or if what we see is something that has yet to happen, that foreshadows coming events of the story.

I love movies with a "twist". If someone tells me there's a twist you don't see coming. I will watch, while trying to come up with all the possibilities that could be the twist. Great movies, I rarely figure it out, not so great ones, it comes easy. That's what I'm wanting to write, a great twist we don't see coming. It's so great, I don't even know what t is yet. Haha! Seriously though, at the point in the sty I'm at, changes in how things go, won't affect this beginning sequence.

But as I said, you could be correct also. But either way, it will be an experience I take take forward from there, in learning how to become better at this craft.

Back