A few questions on super 8

First off I am new to the forum and thanks for having me.

I have been shooting video for most of my life, im 20 years old. I have shot with a varicam, cinealta, hvx and plethora of DV and Mini Dv cameras. So my background is definetitly in video, besides film photography.

However, I have been watching some early experimental film from Kuchar and Brakhage and was looking to buy a super 8 camera just for fun and my enjoyment. Basically, I was just wanting to see what everyones opinions are and what is good and what's not so good? How much should I be looking to spend? I would like manual controls, variable framerates and perferably detachable lenses. Any suggestions and guidance is appreciated.

Thanks
Alex

Also, I was thinking about this..http://cgi.ebay.com/Beaulieu-5008S-Super-8mm-Movie-Camera-Great-Condition_W0QQitemZ280207403927QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4691QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem or this package http://cgi.ebay.com/Beaulieu-5008-Multispeed-Super-8-mm-package_W0QQitemZ290215086402QQihZ019QQcategoryZ4691QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Are these good deals? could I go cheaper? Is this so cheap something is wrong?

I own the 5008S. I love that camera. And both are
excellent deals.

I hate to think what I paid for mine back in 1978.

Last edited:
I own a super 8. Im not sure how much your budget is but film and processing is very very limited at this stage. Film expect to pay 13-25 bucks a roll of double sided 25' roll. Which is like about 3min or less. Im not quite sure. Then about 9 bucks for developing for each 25' roll. For me it was not viable to spend around $200 for a short film, for only super 8 quality. Thats my two cents.

Just for clarity:

The double sided 25ft roll is Regular 8.
Super 8 comes on 50ft cartridges.

For me, I love the look and quality of Super 8
and feel the extra money needed can make a
big difference.

So which camera did you decide on, Alex?

I not too long ago unearthed our old family Super8 camera which I know is new or nearly new because I don't think we ever bought film for it. Maybe we did, but it wasn't much and I can't find it.
It's a Chinon 753XL Macro.
I was looking around to find some things out about it and ran across a site that describes changes made in Super 8 film and the cameras that will no longer be useful.
Usually that means whatever I have is instant garbage, but on their 1 to 5 scale the 753 rated a "3" meaning that the exposure could be set to accept the new format film.
Here's a link to the list in case it isn't general knowledge It's a PDF file.

It looks to me like the exposure is automatic only in this thing, so I don't know if I'm screwed or not trying to use it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated

Neil

Beaulieu 5008 MULTISPEED Super 8... Is pretty much what i have decided I want, just im still in the process of finding one in my price range. I understand the notion of price, but im not really going to be using this, atleast not at this time, to be making my films for my portfolio, just more personal enjoyment. Also, it is my understanding that super 8 is relatively cheap (Camera $100-$200, editor $15-$20 and projector $50) am I wrong in these assumptions?
I seem to be having troubles finding another super 8 camera that does such a wide range of frames per second as the Beaulieu, which is really important to me. So if some one could inform me on another camera that does somewhere from 8fps-60fps that would be helpful in my search.

Thanks
Alex

Just like the consumer cameras of today, many super8 cameras were designed for the family to point and shoot.
So many of the cameras had automatic everything. You dropped in the cartridge, the camera sets the ASA and
filter and the exposure is automatic.

I don't own a Chinon, but it looks like it falls into that category of camera. And now that super8 is no longer the
consumer/family camera and Kodak has all but stopped making super8 cartridges that void is being filled by
professionals. Super8 film is now, very often, 35mm or 16mm film that is slit and punched and loaded into the
cartridges. That is great for people who want to shoot negative stock or a much higer grade reversal - but not
so good for people with fully auto cameras.

That's a great page you found, Neil.

Thanks for the info RIk, I figured it was in the strictly consumer class. I thought it would be interesting to see a spool shot on it.
At least it will stay in pristine condition.
I used up the 600W Bell and Howell light that was with it and am using the Kodak projection screen as a reflector so it's not a total loss!!

The projector and the camera will go into the prop box. LOL

Neil

Back