• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

A climax for my script

First time poster here. Kind of intimidated by everyone.

Currently I am working on a project for my broadcasts class in high school. I have a rough idea for what I want to make. It is short and simple; another word not exciting at all.

My story is about a teenager finding no meaning in life (cliche?). She is neglected in her family. In school she is just another girl, and a mediocre student. Then for an unthought-of reason, she is inspired to look at every little joyful detail in life, something really simple and affable by anyone, like cup of coffee in winter, crying over a good movie......etc. At last she end up inspiring other people.

I am pretty much fixed on this idea. What I am looking for is the reason that changed her and some more idea of enjoyable thing in life. If anyone can come up with a touching/inspiring twist that will be great!

To reach the person she will eventually become in your story, the teenager must go through a huge impacting experience that will change her.

My suggestion is that you add to her personality traits to the girl to make this film special. What does she like? Art, music...etc. Or even go further than that... astrology, magic, poetry... You can relate to these facts throughout your movie to make it more interesting.

Instead of having the beginning and ending planned out, why not focus on the beginning and figure out the major problem your character faces (be specific when writing, or it'll be hard to follow) until you reach the point where you feel there should be a climax and solution. Once you're there, put yourself in the character's shoes, and ask yourself what needs to happen to fix the problem. When you have a little idea, think like the screenwriter again. You're the writer, and you can make anything happen in the story. Start writing the climax step by step, until you reach the end.

Write the end naturally, according to events from the climax. If you have the beginning and ending neatly planned out before the climax, it will not be as fun for the audience to watch. Also, it'll be pretty easy to guess the conclusion to your film.

Jeremy
www.twitter.com/jrhmy
www.jrhmy.tumblr.com

Good suggestions, Jeremy. I absolutely agree with you. It doesn't hurt to have at least a rough idea of your ending, but never feel like you're obligated to that ending. Like he said, you're the writer, and you can do whatever the hell you want. I'd have an idea of an ending to kind of give you something to work towards, but I wouldn't feel like that ending couldn't be subject to change.

As for what could happen to her to initiate this change in her outlook on life, I'm not sure, but I keep thinking it should be something to do with family and maybe someone in her family that she's always taken for granted by assuming they would always be there for her.

Something like seeing her grandfather on his deathbed and seeing the way he maybe looks at something insignificant right before he goes.

I don't know. Something along those lines.

Yes, barnaclelapse, I like the suggestion of the character seeing her grandfather in his deathbed. It doesn't necessarily have to be her grandfather, anyone mentioned before works... brother, sister...etc.

I also think that to make it clear to the audience how that experience changed her, I would like to suggest that before her close one passes away, he/she should pass on a few words of wisdom to her, making her realize whatever you want her to find out... "life is short"...etc.

To make it work better, I also suggest zooming in the characters, adding some inspirational music...etc. Some tears coming from the girl wouldn't hurt either.

To me, every time I get a script idea with the beginning and end perfectly formed immediately, I scratch it out and think of a new one... all the ideas that have a beginning and ending planned out from the start couldn't be interesting to write, let alone watch.

Back