A Christmas Carol? Your Thoughts...

When I first heard that this was going to be released in November of this year, and that Jim Carey would be playing Scrooge, I was excited to see it. When i saw the trailer for it (before Harry Potter VI in IMAX 3D - made it pretty awesome), I was taken aback to see that it was intense CG work and I did a little research to find its called performance capture (thanks wikipedia) - I guess Zemeckis used this in The Polar Express as well (I never saw it). I'm still stoked on seeing this - esp in IMAX 3D. I'm curious what other people think about it - the fact that its not live action, and whether they think that will make it less of a everyone movie and more of a kids/family movie. I think opting for live-action could've opened up the target market. Even still, I'm excited to see this. What do you guys think?

I don't know how much animation you see - aside from all the CG you see in action films - but it's just another visual medium. As a parent I see quite a few animated films every year, many of which end up in the Video/DVD collection for endless watchings by my daughters. Ever since Disneys "Aladdin" there have been adult undertones in many of what appear to be strictly kids films. Check out the Pixar films "The Incredibles" or "Wall-E". Very entertaining even for adults.

Besides, there have been endless animated versions of "A Christmas Carol", usually aimed at children and played strictly for laughs. I get the feeling that this one should be fun.

And, as long as we're on the subject, the musical version "Scrooge" (1970 w/Albert Finney) is my favorite rendition of the Dickens novelette. It veers a bit from the original, but the feeling of it is wonderful.

whether they think that will make it less of a everyone movie and more of a kids/family movie. I think opting for live-action could've opened up the target market.

I found that kinda interesting.

How has it being animated somehow made it "for kids"?

And what makes a "kids/family movie" different from an "everyone movie"?

Dang, that's excessive use of bunny-quotes. :blush:

Very true, I personally enjoy all types of animated films at the ripe old age of 23 ;) i've seen everything pixar has done, including their incredibly poignant collection of shorts. And undoubtedly Aladdin (thanks to a lot of over-the-kids-heads jokes from Robin Williams as the genie) really started a new trend of animation for all. And I'm not saying all animated films are targeted for kids and families, but as a part-time nanny, there are only certain films out there in theaters that I can take the kids to, and a good percentage of the time, they are animated films. Clearly, I'm generalizing, as I'd never take the kids to see the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie or basically any full-length comedy coming from adult swim. But basically, if you are a parent or a care-taker of young kids, you usually get to see family films or animated films, and a lot of times they are looped together. i guess i wrote the original post just thinking specifically of an older friend, who upon hearing that the new A Christmas Carol wasn't live action (even though it's not "animated"), immediately lost interest in going to see it (despite how awesome the trailer looks). and while he is a father, his kids are all grown up, so his movie tastes don't have to be family-oriented. though, i'm sure even in live action, the wonderfully universal story of charles dickens would still be open to all - families or otherwise. and yes, i've seen some of the remakes of a christmas carol targeted at children - i was addicted to the 30 minute Disney version that features Scrooge McDuck and Goofy as the looming Jacob Marley, come Christmas time every year that VHS would get pretty worn out. but i've also seen more serious productions of A Christmas Carol, both in film and in theater, and I believe there are elements forgotten in the childrens' versions that were created by Charles Dickens in his novel to basically scare the character of Scrooge straight. I read A Christmas Carol in high school, and there are some eerie elements in the writing that just don't come across in the Disney version. Oh well, now I'm rambling. Just wanted to hear what other people thought about this movie. thanks for all the thoughts though, I am excited to take the kiddos I watch to see this in imax 3D, it looks wonderfully well-done.

Back