A choice of 3 DSLR's ... Which one?

Hi Guys,

So I've been looking to get a 550d/600d for quite a while.....

Recently I've come into a bit more money than expecting... not a huge amount more bear in mind...

So now the 60d has come to my attention..... i really like the way it feels in my hand and it feels rugged.... but i have done research and it seems performance wise the 60d is only slightly better than the 600d due to a few extra bits.

Then in a shop in the UK today i saw a GH2 that has had its price dropped quite a bit and now the GH2 has entered into my Radar, but the GH2 to me is a bit of an unknown quantity..... when holding it, it felt slightly small and a by toyish but i have heard such good things about its video performance especially on here.

Im looking for a camera that primarily is good for Video but can also be used as a pretty decent Stills camera too.

I have my own company which shoots, music videos, company promos and short films etc.

The prices ive found for each camera are:

Canon 600d with 18-55mm IS Mk II and 55- 250 IS MK II for..... £664.00

Canon 60d Body only £639.00 (so would need to buy a lens)

Lumix GH2 - £619 with 14-42mm

Which one would you go for? Which one represents best value for money for what i will use it for...

I've been making films or videos since i was 11.... now 27... firstly on a Hi 8 Sony cam, then moved up to mini DV cam and then HDR-XR105e, ive used Sony A1E's to Sony V1E's to Sony Z5 etc and i also know my way around an PMW-EX3 basic.

DSLR is quite new to me but im a kind of person that wants something that will last, im pretty good at picking things up and learning new equipment and finding its limitations quickly, so dont want something that will limit me in the near future and have me questioning if i need to invest in another new camera!

DSLR wise i wantt something that i can have full manual control with and learn to do well and master.

In the past i've shot weddings, music festivals, music videos, live band footage, interviews, Company promotional videos etc and now more short films.
My business leans towards corporate videos and music orientated videos. Personally short films i love doing.

Any help on this DSLR issue would be great!

Do i go for a lesser camera so to speak then max it up with lenses... or go for a higher model and have a cheap/decent lens?

Buy the 600d and buy a battery handle thing to put on the bottom so it "feels" like a 60d.

Someone on my last shoot had a 60d and told me about 4 times how she wished she had bought the T3i and saved the money.

I own a T3i and it absolutely is one of the best prosumer cameras out there, bar none.

With the 60d the main difference I see with it is the ISO settings, which are nice on the 60d, but not necessary to create emotional impact.

I suggest going without the zoom, keep the kit lens, buy a Super-Tak 50mm f/1.4 and a MIR-1 (russian vintage lens) and you'll be sitting pretty.

Last edited:
I sold my 60d after I got the GH2..... Get the GH2 if youre mostly shooting video. None of the overheating issues and better video quality. The audio seems a little less thin to me too. Full res HDMI output, you can monitor while you shoot, and you can use almost any lens with it. Plus the hacked firmware is allowing for some amazing things. Its a great camera for video. I would go as far to say that its the best video camera out for under $5k........

hmmm

@Anim8 Have you used the D800 yet? Or the D4 (or whatever the uber-camera Nikon released is named. I'm sick of all these random arbitrary D-NUMBER names)

This recommendation comes with an asterix -- I'm totally not a cinematographer, or technical camera kind of guy. For a while I got into it, when I was making my camera purchase, but since then, I've not really kept up.

That being said, I do want to point out that people whose opinions I really trust have endorsed the GH2. Namely, wheaty and Kholi are in that camp, and that means something for me. Take that for whatever it's worth.

GH2 all the way.
-Best resolution of all the DSLR's
-minimal moire and aliasing compared to all other DSLR's. (this is huge in my opinion)
-about any lens ever made can adapt to GH2
-Russian genius Vitaliy Kisselev hacked the software effectively supercharging GH2 performance.

btw, before anyone corrects, yeah it's mirrorless so in actual fact, GH2 isn't even a DSLR.

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all the info, i really appreciate it.... Just have a couple more questions...

People who use the 600D, do you use it in a professional capacity, i.e. for paid work etc?

With the 60D you have more ISO options, is this a big factor over the 600D?

With the GH2, i do understand the video quality is brilliant, but how is its stills performance as well? As i mentioned i do get asked to do some stills photography work as well and its something i want to get into more.

Also with the GH2, i live in the UK and understand it doesn't shoot at 25p? Is this a huge issue or is there a work around?

Audio input on any camera is not an issue as i have a Rode NTG-1 which i use.

I'm not an experienced filmmaker, so don't listen to me. But I'm fond of DigitalRev TV, so let me throw these up here. Kai Wong and Lok C. do do ISO and moire comparisons in these reviews, so maybe you'll find them relevant. I guess one thing to keep in mind, though, is that his focus is still photograghy, not filmmaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na7h-K0DK60&feature=related

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6bzQfZ8OCQ&feature=related

Any, it's a fun show.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I think the Canons beat the gh2 in still photo mode.

Kai Wong is right, if you get a GH2, unbox it and immediately burn the user's manual. It's the biggest piece of dyslexia inducing incoherence you've ever or never imagined. Menus are a little better. Not much though.

Not sure about 25p, I believe the hack addresses it, unhacked it only does 24, 30 and 60p.

Last edited:
Hi Richy,

Ive already seen those videos, i am a bit of a fan of Digital Rev TV :D

So been into a store again today and had a little play with the GH2, i still feel it feels a bit toy-ish, and the menus confused the hell out of me! haha

I keep coming back to the 60D, but i just dont know if its value for money with the 600d lurking about...

I have had short thoughts about going all out and buying a 7D, but i would have to work bloody hard to pay that one off! haha

@Brianluce - I will do a bit of research about the hack.... is the hack a dodgy thing to do? is it relatively easy?

Hi Richy,

Ive already seen those videos, i am a bit of a fan of Digital Rev TV :D

So been into a store again today and had a little play with the GH2, i still feel it feels a bit toy-ish, and the menus confused the hell out of me! haha

I keep coming back to the 60D, but i just dont know if its value for money with the 600d lurking about...

I have had short thoughts about going all out and buying a 7D, but i would have to work bloody hard to pay that one off! haha

@Brianluce - I will do a bit of research about the hack.... is the hack a dodgy thing to do? is it relatively easy?

Yes, it's safe and easy to hack a GH2.

And it's true, the GH2 feels like a piece of plastic junk. Don't let that fool you though. Even unhacked, it's easily the best DSLR for video. In numberous shootouts, it outperforms cameras costing a lot more such as the AF100. My GH2 beats my Sony EX3 which still sells for $9,000 at B&H.

Here's the bottom line: if you want the best video and most options your money can buy, it's the GH2.

IF you want to take stills, it's a Canon.

There are a lot of examples floating around on the web, if you vimeo search GH2 hack you'll come across plenty of footage.

So after much deliberation i have decided to go for.....

Canon 600D with 18-55 Kit Lens
Canon EF 50mm 1.8 MK2 Lens
Battery Grip
32Gb SD card (10)

I think there is minimal difference between the 60d and the 600d and by going for the cheaper 600d i can get extra accessories and lenses.

I was so close to going for the GH2 but just felt safer with the Canon series and its Stills capability as well as video.

Maybe the GH2 will be a camera i buy a few months down the line after ive recouped my money on the 600d :D

thanks once again guys for the help

Back