A book for a newbie

I sort of mentioned this in the Welcome part of the forum but thought it best to throw it in here too. Basically I'm 100% new to all of this - my only experience being having watched a load of movies. But now I'd like to create some things myself. And since my OH is acquiring a Canon 7d sometime soon, I'll have that piece of equipment to help start me off. But I'd also like a book to kick-start everything too - what would you guys recommend? I was contemplating purchasing this - Filmmaker's Handbook, The: A Comprehensive Guide for the Digital Age but maybe it's a little bit too advanced for a total newcomer?

Thanks for reading.

I'm not familiar with that book. :)

If you want some general inspirational books, how 'bout:

Rebel without a Crew

What They Don't Teach You at Film School: 161 Strategies For Making Your Own Movies

If you need something that goes into detail about all the various professions/jobs, try:

The Guerilla Film Makers Handbook (There's a British edition, too)

Those are all pretty general books, but there are dozens of more specific ones. Maybe your local library carries some of these, or others, that you can check out before deciding which ones are worth getting? Do you need some books that are more specific for certain roles/hats?

I'll check out some of these books thanks!

Just wanted to say that I'm almost finished reading "rebel without a crew" by robert rodriguez, it's excellent and it's only like $11 from amazon.

Back