7D worth the extra money?

I have looked at about a dozen 7D versus 60D topics, but none of them have really discussed the price difference in a meaningful way. While many have comments address the fact that there is a price difference, non address whether this price difference is justified for the feature set.

From what I have learned, the main differences between the two are as follows:

7D
- Weatherproofing
- 100% viewfinder
- HDMI 1280p output
- 19 point autofocus
- Dedicated video button

60D
- Articulating LCD
- 96% viewfinder
- 9 point autofocus
- 480p output
- Manual audio control

For myself, the weatherproofing, 100% viewfinder, and 1280p output make the 7D the obvious choice. The 60D's articulating LCD is attractive for video use, but not a necessity for me, especially when I can output from the 7D in 1080p and monitor from there. For some people, the manual audio control may be an important feature, but I will capture sound on a separate digital audio recorder. The autofocus is also a non-issue for me as I will be using the the cameras mainly for video. The question then becomes, "are weatherproofing, 1080p output, and a 100% viewfinder worth $700?"

As someone who does photography and makes films, im infinitely happy with the 7D.

If you were just using it for filming, then then the t2i or 60D may be the more economical bodies to go for. Even then the 7D has some advantages but going for the other two may save u more money to spend on other things such as lenses and support.

But if u want to do both photography and make films, the 7D is the best thing after the 5D II.

I think you've summed it up, pretty nicely, actually.

7D -- Full HD monitoring.
60D -- Articulating screen.

Weatherproofing only matters to still photographers. Filmmakers use umbrellas! The manual audio control on the 60D is pointless, because you'd be a fool to record audio on this camera, for any serious projects.

So, it becomes a simple choice of what you want more -- HD monitoring, or articulating screen, and are you willing to pay more to get HD monitoring?

The HDMI out alone is worth the extra money. Don't discount other makes, though.

Edit: HD monitoring is an articulating screen when you think about it...put it where you want.

Optical viewfinders don't work in video mode. Electronic viewfinders on cameras such as the GH2 do work in video mode, however.

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you are saying. You cannot use the optical viewfinder in video mode, but the LCD is 100% coverage? So, do both cameras (60D and 7D) have 100% coverage in video mode?

Back