7D file format

OK, I'm more than sure that my computer is terrible.
(When I try editing HD... it's just way too choppy). I'm considering getting an upgrade for my computer or possibly upgrading to a new computer.

(Using an old non-intel based Apple G5)

Anyways, I just upload the footage I take onto my computer as .mov files. Is there some way I can convert them into a better file to edit with? Or is it just my computer?

I've edited on other computers with footage from my own camera, works fine.

There's probably lots of codecs built into your editing software that will work, they will just be more compressesd (lower quality) or very large file sizes.

The g5's aren't very fast though.

As of now, the only software that edits the Canon DSLR footage natively is Adobe CS5. It requires snow leopard (64 bit) which requires an intel chip.

Try playing with the various codecs already on your computer. If all else fails, try a jpg or tiff sequence and separate WAV audio, just be prepared for LARGE file sizes.

It's definitely my computer. I'm putting it on craigslist. Hopefully it will sell. Should I get a Mac book pro or iMac?

I know iMacs are choice for editing on, but I can easily plug my macbook into an external LCD monitor to edit on.

It's definitely my computer. I'm putting it on craigslist. Hopefully it will sell. Should I get a Mac book pro or iMac?

I know iMacs are choice for editing on, but I can easily plug my macbook into an external LCD monitor to edit on.

Depends on how important portability is to you. You'll get a lot more power for your money with an iMac, but if you need a computer on set or like to work away from home, it's not very practical. The iMacs will run external monitors too.

Depends on how important portability is to you. You'll get a lot more power for your money with an iMac, but if you need a computer on set or like to work away from home, it's not very practical. The iMacs will run external monitors too.

I would love to be able to take a macbook pro around. You know, on sets... school... showing off to my friends :lol:

At the lower end of the production scale (where a lot of us are). It's frequently the editor who is on set dumping footage, backing it up, wiping SD or P2 cards, etc... laptiop comes in handy, but as was said, bang for the buck is desktop.

Back