• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

60's - 70's site music without copryrigth

Hi there, hope you all ok, im so in love with this kind of vintage music right now. Im on the way to writing a screenplay, but as an auteur creator (sry if that isnt the right term on english) i wish to write and direct my own short and i always got part of the inspiration with the music behind, but i wanna be sure of what songs i can use.

If someone could recommend me some sites of 60's - 70's music like Dalida, Francoise Hardy, etc but free of rights I would be very pleased :)

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Um, yeah...

Music isn't free to make. Someone automatically owns the music's "rights" the moment it's created, and 99% of the time, the rights holder(s) don't relinquish those unless they're paid.

Knowing this, I'm always amazed at people's expectation of being able to find "rights free" music.

The best advice I can give you is, make your own music. That way, it can be exactly what you have in mind. Also, especially these days, it's easier and more possible to do than ever.

Last edited:
Or, probably the better move if you really need a certain "sound" and have no other options, would be to buy a product like this:

https://www.bigfishaudio.com/Son-of-Grindhouse

It's basically a sample library. There are other "sample packs" that might fit what you're looking for better, the above link is just an example of what's out there. I've seen things that are more "French singer/songwriter", but I'm not about to google that, lol. Anyway, spend a day learning how to load samples into a DAW and play/program it, and you're set. It's not free, but it's fairly cheap and might work for you.

Last edited:
There are tens of thousands of indie bands who would love to have their music in a film of almost any kind. All you need do is find a band that has the "sound" that you want. It's just going to take many hours of sifting through the good, the bad and the ugly to find something very close to what you need. The tough part is to find the right track with great sound quality.

I used this one is a short about five years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkScKPyktXw

You can always do like they do in commercials... hire a composer to riff off of a popular song, so it sounds like it but is different...

There are tens of thousands of indie bands who would love to have their music in a film of almost any kind. All you need do is find a band that has the "sound" that you want. It's just going to take many hours of sifting through the good, the bad and the ugly to find something very close to what you need. The tough part is to find the right track with great sound quality.

It's also worth noting that you could do all the leg work to track down the "right" track from an independent artist, and they might very well tell you "no", or charge a fee. This is what a "music supervisor" does, because just tracking down musicians and record companies (even if you have a budget to spend) is honestly a lot of work.

You really can't assume that every artist is happy to work for exposure... because most are certainly not. Especially not in this day and age. Unless you're exposing them on a legitimately large platform (in which case you should be paying anyway), most musicians aren't going to see a lot of incentive in it for them. Some artists, (probably if you know them personally) will do it as a FAVOR, but keep that in mind; it'll be seen as a favor towards to, not the other way around.

You will also likely find that most often the artists willing to do it for "free", frankly... suck. Or at least they're "not developed" artistically and technically. The professional people with good songs, that have been recorded well, who've invested $$$ into their craft, are less likely to work for free. Unless, as I mentioned, you're getting a personal favor from someone.

Last edited:
For my feature DETOURS (available on Amazon Prime - shameless plug), one of the other producers and I did the leg work to find indie bands willing to let us use their music for no fee, just a credit & thanks. We found many excellent bands willing to do so, but this was simply using their existing music.

For the music that was written specifically for the movie, we did indeed pay.

Back