• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

5d mkII and Adobe Premiere

Hi

I'm shooting some video on a Canon 5d MKII which I'm going to edit in Adobe Premiere on a Mac. The appropriate settings in Premiere would be HDV/1080i. The only problem is I don't have the HDV option when I'm starting up a project. Where has it gone and how do I get it back?

Bo

Hi

I'm shooting some video on a Canon 5d MKII which I'm going to edit in Adobe Premiere on a Mac. The appropriate settings in Premiere would be HDV/1080i. The only problem is I don't have the HDV option when I'm starting up a project. Where has it gone and how do I get it back?

Bo

Which version of premiere? It definitely would NOT be HDV or 1080i....

The 5D shoots in 30P (29.97 PROGRESSIVE) or 24P (23.976 progressive). It also shoots in H.264 codec in a Quicktime MOV wrapper. Generally from Adobe CS4-5.5, you have the option of downloading project settings for the 5D or you can simply make them, as there are tutorials on VIMEO and YOUTUBE for that.

Last edited:
Premiere CS5.

Sorry, I meant 1080p.

I'm pretty sure 25 fps was added in a firmware update in early 2010. I live in Europe so I think those would be the correct settings for me.

Anyway, I still don't have the HDV settings - but maybe you could direct me to a place where I could download the settings?

Edit: Oh, found a guide to do the manual settings :-)
It's still strange, though, why they're not just there...

Last edited:
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's because you have the trial version? When you make a new premiere pro composition, you only have the HDV option if you have the full version, as I didn't have the HDV option during my trial, but when I bought premiere I received all these new presets including HDV.

My new install for PPRO CS5 has a big passle of Digital SLR presets, specifically calling Canon cameras out.. The Digital SLR 1080p25 has this in the comments..

"For editing most DSLR Formats (like the Canon EOS Movie Full HD series) recorded in 1920x1080 square pixels (non-anamorphic).
16:9 Progressive HD video at 25 frames per second.
48 kHz audio.
"

Back