Congrats on starting so young.

I honestly wouldn't worry about co-writing at your age. Focus on completing as many scripts as possible. At the beginning, numbers and words written are the most important thing.

Experience trumps everything else. So build your experience on your own while you can. (Just my opinion, don't take it the wrong way please).

Well @mlesemann would be the best person to speak with. I'm sure she may have been a part of some writing collabs here at some point?

Collabs are extremely hard for me when writing, because its bad enough to have my mind churning... I couldn't imagine adding another brain to the mix. Haha

.....the main problem is the story....

This is the discussion that you should be having. What problems are you having with story? Also, what are you good at, so far. You are only 16, so give yourself some time, you have many years ahead to learn things, many new things that you will experience.

However, I do understand the tremendous synergy that can be attained by collaborative effort. One of my favorite old-school directors, Frank Capra, had a frequent collaborator in Robert Riskin. They would lock themselves into a hotel room in Southern California for a few weeks and hammer out a script. Capra had the basic story and a coupe of high points, and Riskin would flesh it all out, write the dialog and punch holes in the plot.

Just as a side-bar.... Capra was a prolific director during the "silent" film era. Because he was trained as an engineer, Capra was one of the first directors to fully understand and embrace sound-for-picture during the transitional period in the late 1920s and early 1930s. Capra set the framework for the modern Rom-Com with his Oscar-winning "It Happened One Night," which was also one of the earliest "road" movies. His film "Mr. Deeds Goes To Town" established the odd-ball hero. "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" was so politically controversial that members of Congress actually tried to prevent the films release. In "Meet John Doe" all of the characters are, at least initially, motivated entirely by self interest. And, of course, there is his Christmas classic "It's A Wonderful Life," which, BTW, won an Oscar for Special Effects with a new way of creating snow for film sets. A much more important director than he is given credit for.

Anyway, enough with the history lesson. Present us with a few of your scripts and we will rip them to shreds. Most folks here will be gently brutal about it. My audio post peers and I regularly harshly criticize each others work, even after years of experience. It takes a while, but you learn the difference between real constructive criticism and mean spirited snarky-ness; you'll mostly get the former here on IndieTalk.

Hi Alcove Audio,
Thanks for all that. I have a question. Do you know how to delete account here because I was at this site at some moment but I already got answers on my questions and I really don't like when I have not usable account on any site. I want to delete it on hundred percent.
Cheers from Poland,
Filip

Why not stick around and help others in your shoes? Oh, and you won't delete your question from Google even if you delete the account. Google will retain the information anyway. It's impossible to remain 100% anonymous on the internet.

If it's because you don't like your questions in public view we do offer a private forum for indiePRO members.

Back