550D vs. 60D

Hi guys. I’ve searched the forum for this, I’ve even Goggled it, but I’ve had no luck.

Up until a few days ago, I’d set myself up to purchase a Canon 550D. I love the videos that people have been getting from these cameras, plus, I’m interested in photography, so it would be my first dSLR, and from what I can gather, it’s the best entry level dSLR there is. I’ve looked into the specs, read what everybody on here has been saying and I think it’s right for me.

However, a guy at work was telling me about his new camera, the Canon 60D. He was very adamant that I should get that, over the 550D. When I asked why, his only reply was that “it’s better”.

Of course, he was talking about for photography. Has anybody on here used both cameras for video? Are there any benefits to getting the 60D for video? The ability to angle the screen would be nice, but I don’t think it justifies the extra £250! As far as I can gather, the picture is exactly the same for the 60D as it is for the 550D. Is that right?

Thanks for your help.

I guess I always think that if it's too good to be true, it must be!

But that said, this seller has been recommended, has 99.8% positive feedback from 143,117 ratings.

The warranty is a 'Sellers Warranty', meaning that if the product becomes faulty within the first year, the seller will take it back and repair/replace it. This sounds a little fishy, but E-Bay is a well established business place now and there are certain laws protecting customers. I think their business is legit.

I think i'm gonna go for it!

I'd say go for it.

Dodgy sellers usually get snuffed out on eBay pretty quickly. I ordered a book from someone and it never came, so I complained and within a couple of days that seller had been banned. If that guy has over 100000 transactions then I'd be willing to trust in that.

Personally I like having a shop that I can take stuff back to, but you do end up paying the price for that assurance.

I bought a 7D off eBay with some other stuff for around $2k. It was a great deal at the time, they did try to add on way over priced extras (like a $150 off brand battery) but I said no thanks and got a great deal.

Okay, so I went for the 60D in the end, and it arrived yesterday.

Having used it very briefly, I can say that I’m very happy with my choice. The real benefit over the 550D, as far as I can tell, really is the flip-out screen. Sure, it’s a luxury, not a necessity. Is it worth the extra £250? Probably not. But it sure is nice. Makes getting low angle shots nice and easy.

Being able to dial in the exact colour temp. you want for your white balance is useful, but from my short time playing with the camera, it seems like the AutoWB does a pretty good job by itself.

It’s an American model, but as I’ve stated above, the seller offers their own warranty and with the feedback they have, I think they’re trustworthy. Plus the camera came in only three days!

Seems like a nice camera, so I’ll be taking it out for a test run over the weekend to see what it can do. Hopefully I’ll have something to post up here next week!

also if it qualifies for square trade warranty it'll be a good idea to get it. I personally don't have any experience with square trade but they've been around for quite a while

the thing with ebay is to buy from powersellers or sellers with enough decency to communicate details about the item. I once sent an email to a seller about a lens on aperture ring, glass condition,... and the reply was, "sorry, glass is fine". They were specific questions!!!

Last edited:
Back