550D vs. 60D

Hi guys. I’ve searched the forum for this, I’ve even Goggled it, but I’ve had no luck.

Up until a few days ago, I’d set myself up to purchase a Canon 550D. I love the videos that people have been getting from these cameras, plus, I’m interested in photography, so it would be my first dSLR, and from what I can gather, it’s the best entry level dSLR there is. I’ve looked into the specs, read what everybody on here has been saying and I think it’s right for me.

However, a guy at work was telling me about his new camera, the Canon 60D. He was very adamant that I should get that, over the 550D. When I asked why, his only reply was that “it’s better”.

Of course, he was talking about for photography. Has anybody on here used both cameras for video? Are there any benefits to getting the 60D for video? The ability to angle the screen would be nice, but I don’t think it justifies the extra £250! As far as I can gather, the picture is exactly the same for the 60D as it is for the 550D. Is that right?

Thanks for your help.

As with all these things, it depends. The main advantages of the 60D over the 550D are - flip-out screen, intermediate ISOs (steps between 100, 200, 400 etc.) and the ability to precisely dial-in white balance by Kelvin. Given that even productions shot on film need filters to do the last two, the screen is the main advantage. It would make your life easier, and perhaps you could do a shot or two that would be impossible on the 550D, but if you're not swimming in money, that £250 difference could buy you a nice prime lens, an entry-level tripod or a basic lighting kit. Remember too that you'll need some basic camera accessories (batteries, memory cards, protective filter, bag) as well as sound gear if you're not shooting silent films or music videos. If you have to think about whether or not it's worth upgrading to the 60D, I reckon it's probably not.

Does anyone here use a z-finder with the 550D? And, if so, what is the advantage of the 60Ds flip out screen?

Loupes like the Z-Finder are fine when shooting with the camera at eye-level on a shoulder mount, but if the camera's above head height or down on a high-hat at floor level then it's not a lot of use.

Loupes like the Z-Finder are fine when shooting with the camera at eye-level on a shoulder mount, but if the camera's above head height or down on a high-hat at floor level then it's not a lot of use.

That's a good point, but I would question how useful the flip out screen would be in either of those two scenarios. The screens not much bigger than on the 550D so I think that, practically speaking, it wouldn't be particularly useful for that sort of work.

But perhaps this is me trying to justify to myself not buying the 60D when I had the chance :D

I've read that there are some manual audio controls on the 60D. Is this camera better at recording audio than the 550D? The first project I hope to shoot would be silent, then after that, I'd rather record audio separately anyway, but still good to know if this camera is at all capable?

I guess I'll check out what money I've got and if I can afford the 60D I might go for it anyway, just in case I really get into the photography!

Cheers!

I've read that there are some manual audio controls on the 60D. Is this camera better at recording audio than the 550D? The first project I hope to shoot would be silent, then after that, I'd rather record audio separately anyway, but still good to know if this camera is at all capable?

I guess I'll check out what money I've got and if I can afford the 60D I might go for it anyway, just in case I really get into the photography!

Cheers!

The 60D has better (i.e. some) audio control than the 550D, but not full manual control. You can only adjust levels when you're not recording, which is an improvement but still not hugely useful. You're never going to get very good audio out of any current DSLR - the upgrade to the 60D certainly isn't worth it with regards to audio recording.

Yeah, the audio sucks on both.

I'm still trying to get confirmation on this, but I heard that the 60D will monitor in HD. That would be a pretty significant improvement, if true. And, I think the flip-screen would be really nice to have.

I hope this does not dilute the discussion (please ignore it if it does) but I was just researching this at work today as I am about to plunge into the DSLR world myself and I was checking up on the 60D. C-Funk's comment on the 60D triggered my memory on this stuff. I hope this helps...

http://dslrhd.com/2010/12/panasonic-gh2-vs-canon-60d/#more-2172

I must admit I am partial to the GH2 but these are early days and I am very meticulous when it comes to researching and spending cash.

Magic Lantern is out for the 550, which when using that the 550 will blow the 60 away feature-wise for video.

As far as the screen, spend about $250 US on an external monitor and battery that mounts to your hot shoe. That's more handy than the flip out screen for sure.

just got a 60d on eBay for 899. that price justified the 60d over the 550d and 7d for me. received it today and the shutter count was less than 5 so seems brand new. for running and gunning I think the swivel screen is a lot better than external mount. haven't touched the 550d or 7d buttons but it's very easy to make adjustments on the 60d pertaining to shutter speed, aperture, Kelvin, iso, resolution setting/fps...

I'd not heard of Magic Lantern before, but it looks good, especially with Zebra function. What other benefits does it provide? Is it safe? What are the chances of bricking the camera? Once Magic Lantern is installed, can you revert back to the original Canon software? I'd be a bit cautious if you can't.

I think i'm going to go to a store and try them both out, see how they feel. From what everybody has said, it seems there's no difference as far a video is concerned. I think it's just going to be a case of how the feel in the hand and whether I can bring myself to part with close-to-a-grand just for a camera!

I'm still trying to get confirmation on this, but I heard that the 60D will monitor in HD. That would be a pretty significant improvement, if true. And, I think the flip-screen would be really nice to have.
Can't remember if I replied to this in the other thread where it was mentioned, but it doesn't, sadly.

I'd not heard of Magic Lantern before, but it looks good, especially with Zebra function. What other benefits does it provide? Is it safe? What are the chances of bricking the camera? Once Magic Lantern is installed, can you revert back to the original Canon software? I'd be a bit cautious if you can't.

Magic Lantern 0.2.0 for 550D firmware 1.0.9:
  • GUI menus: press the ERASE button to display them, SET/DISP to change values
  • Bit rate control (QScale parameter) for the H.264 encoder
  • Zebra stripes for overexposed / underexposed areas
  • Spotmeter, histogram
  • Cropmarks (16:9, Cinemascope, Fisheye)
  • Intervalometer (classic or HDR)
  • Trap Focus: camera takes a picture when something comes in focus
  • Remote release with either the LCD face sensor or audio trigger
  • Rack focus
  • Stack focus (Live View only)
  • Lens data computation
  • Onscreen audio meters
  • Manual audio gain, selectable input source, disable AGC and digital filters
  • Display time remaining during video recording
  • Debug functions (display CMOS temperature, screenshot, logging)
  • Fine tuning for ISO and shutter speeds; also ISO 25600
  • Kelvin white balance
  • Clean LiveView display without any overlays (selectable)
  • On-demand auto tuning for ISO, shutter & kelvin white balance
  • Quick access to some useful settings like HTP, ALO and contrast

"THIS IS DANGEROUS PRE-ALPHA SOFTWARE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. IT WILL MODIFY YOUR CAMERA. NO WARRANTY. NO SUPPORT."

You can restore it to the original firmware, but I've no idea what the chances are of it going wrong. There are quite a few features that I'd like - some that I'd even pay Canon money for - but none of them are worth having my camera destroyed for.

Just another quick question on this. Is there any reason to choose the 550d over the 60d?

A friend of mine has recommended an EBay seller, who he says was excellent to trade with. This seller has the 60d with kit lens at £680, nearly the same price as Jessops have the 550d. That could mean a saving £250! buying from this guy, for £900 (the price Jessops sell the 60d for), I could get the 60d, 18-55mm lens, 55-250mm lens and a 50mm prime lens! Seems like a good offer to me!

Forgetting all that though, if they were exactly the same price, you'd choose the 60d over the 550d, right? Or is ther something I'm missing?

Of course, this seller also has the Rebel T2i at £520 with kit lens, a saving of £130 on the Jessops price. Also a very tempting idea.

Just another quick question on this. Is there any reason to choose the 550d over the 60d?

A friend of mine has recommended an EBay seller, who he says was excellent to trade with. This seller has the 60d with kit lens at £680, nearly the same price as Jessops have the 550d. That could mean a saving £250! buying from this guy, for £900 (the price Jessops sell the 60d for), I could get the 60d, 18-55mm lens, 55-250mm lens and a 50mm prime lens! Seems like a good offer to me!

Forgetting all that though, if they were exactly the same price, you'd choose the 60d over the 550d, right? Or is ther something I'm missing?

Of course, this seller also has the Rebel T2i at £520 with kit lens, a saving of £130 on the Jessops price. Also a very tempting idea.

you'r right. IF they were exactly same price I'd choose 60D bcoz of its flipped LCD screen and and intermediate ISOs..
btw, r u talikng about digital-rev? :hmm:

Could be a great deal, but anyone selling that far below retail price must be doing something dodgy. It might be a grey import; Canon has a worldwide warranty, but if it hasn't been bought from an approved supplier, then you may have to ship it off to the US or Japan to have any repairs made. Chances are you won't have any problems, but I'm not sure I'd risk it.

Normally, i'd never buy anything this expensive off of E-Bay, but the seller has been recommended (the seller is called Digi-Good). I'd be fairly certain they are imported, no way could he have them at that price otherwise. They claim there is a 1 year warranty, but, as you say, there's no mention of whether it's international or not.

I'll ask they guys at work who have bought from him today, see if they know anything.

Back