500 to spend, looking for a good dslr camera

I need help on finding a good dslr camera the records HD video for under 500 bucks. Any advice on what dslrs I should be looking at?

Is there maybe a list someone could out together to piece together a dslr with the best equipment for 500?
Once you wade through all the discussion about using a DSLR it
seems the best you can do for a DSLR with lens that you can use
right out of the box in your price range is the Olympus ClockworkNinja
mentioned yesterday.

Right now B&H is selling the Canon T3 for $499 and the Nikon D3100
for $496. Gotta hurry, this offer ends soon. And with tax and shipping
you’re above your $500.

You just aren’t going to get a good DSLR and the accessories you need
to make it production ready for $500.

Okay, thanks guys for being so helpful. I really want to get the cinema look the first time around. I don't usually have this much money at one time, so I just want to get the right equipment. Is there maybe a list someone could out together to piece together a dslr with the best equipment for 500?

You could probably put together a decent kit from ebay, but a lot of it boils down to personal taste and what you're trying to make. Honestly without knowing either of those it's hard to write up a recommendation.

Find the topic with the guy who has a thousand dollars budget. There are links to see what the GH1 and what the T2i can do with basic lenses.

The kit lens will be more than enough as a first approach.

I want to learn all that I can. I just don't have the budget to piece a camera together.

You don't have to piece a camera together. You should be buying nothing more advanced than an entry level interchangeable lens camera. This comes in a kit lens/camera body combination. They are sold as one and arrive in a beautiful box with directions for use with a user's manual, battery/charger, and most importantly can be operated on auto settings until you're ready to take the training wheels off.
  • Did you follow any of the links above given to you so far?
  • When you go to the camera links for Amazon are you reading the customer reviews and other material provided?
Go back through this thread and read the information given. Take it one at a time. After you finish with that, you should be ready to ask your next questions. Don't let it spin your head. I believe with the advice given to you, you can make an informed decision. One last thing, you need to go visit Best Buy and get your hands on a camera which you are considering for purchase. Try it out and see how it feels in your hands. You can ask the sales person questions, but remember they are there to make a sale $$$$. :yes:

Used Canon T2i with kit zoom lens is a great place to start.

After you've made a few tests, you can scrape together $90 for a used Canon EOS 50mm f1.8 and start really playing with cinema looks...

Build up some lighting kit over the next couple months.. clamp lights, work lights, etc.

After a few months you will have a good prime lens, a zoom, a camera and a few lights.. next you need to upgrade your tripod!

After that you may want to spend some time deep diving into you computer needs. Really learning your editing software etc...

Once you have HIT the limits of your gear you may want to consider "hacking" your camera with Magic Lantern... which moves you to the next level camera geekdom..

Then you can start cruising pawnshops\ebay for M42 lenses (m42 is a screw lens mount that is readily and cheaply adaptable to the T2i, lots of selection.) To correct an earlier post, you CAN adapt almost ANY lens to the T2i easily, just not old Canon FD ones, and a few other mounts.

That seems feasible road map by Wheat Grinder :)

I also vote for the Canon t2i. With some good lenses you'll be able to get some nice images. I've juts started looking into using old nikon lenses with my 7d and the quality is amazing. I got a 135mm for $30. Granted it's all manual but I usually manual everything out anyway. I would say pick up a T2i and a few nikon primes and you'll have everything you need.

Back