• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

50 fps to 25 or 24 fps quality issues?

How will going from 50 fps to 25 fps / 24 fps affect video quality. I am considering to buy a "pocket video" camera like the Sony cx 550 which in Europe only seem to be able to capture in 1080 / 50 fps.

Is that going to be a problem with quality? From time to time it might be an issue.

Does 50 fps work with broadcast standards?

I think you might be confusing Frames Per Second with
50i (interlaced) and 25p (progressive). A camera shooting
50i will be shooting 25 fps using the interlaced technique
rather than the progressive technique.

Is it frames/second or FIELDS/second?

I'm guessing that's 1080i, not 1080p, which would mean that's 50 interlaced fields per second.. Which equates to 25 frames/second. But yeah, 50i should still be the standard in europe

:) so 50 P would be 50 frames pr. second?

As you guys understand this is kind of confusing for me. Does that mean that 50 P would be 50 frames pr. second? A camera shooting at 50p would be good for slow motion capture?

And the specifications are: "AVCHD 1920 x 1080/50i"

Last edited:
As you guys understand this is kind of confusing for me. Does that mean that 50 P would be 50 frames pr. second? A camera shooting at 50p would be good for slow motion capture?

And the specifications are: "AVCHD 1920 x 1080/50i"

50p would be 50 frames per second, but 50i (as with the camera you mentioned) means 50 fields per second, which is 25 frames per second - you need 50p not 50i to do what you want to without losing quality.

Back