48 hour project locations?

Hi everyone!

I'm planning on entering the 48 Hour in my area. So far my limited experience has been filming in public parks or at private homes, but the location had been chosen based on how it fits my script. (For example, my next short takes place in an industrial type setting, so I'm filming in a small black box theater in an old piano factory).

Since I don't know what genre I'll be filming I have no clue what sort of location to secure. Any ideas for a nice versatile (and affordable) location?

Thanks!

Dave

You kind of have to do things differently in a 48 - rather than choosing a location to fit a script you tailor your script to fit the locations you have available to you.

Our strategy has always been to line up a couple different locations that will add 'production value' to the film - they're unique in some way, and visually interesting. We also usually also try to line up some other similar unique resources - for us that's been things like an ambulance, a cool old van, hazmat suits, a miniature horse, a clown, etc. Then when we sit down to come up with the story we try to adapt it to best feature the resources we've got available.

So I'd say look for the coolest, most unique locations you can secure for the weekend. You won't have much time for production design, so having locations that are already visually interesting will be very helpful.

I'd say also look for locations that have multiple looks within them - it'll speed up production if you don't have to go very far to change looks for different scenes. A lot of our films have been shot in a single building that we had access to for a few years, it was the headquarters of a major entertainment-industry company - I can't say which because we only sort of had permission to shoot there, and we couldn't mention the brand. But the building was an incredible resource - it had brick walls and exposed beam architecture that looked great. It also had rows of cubicles for office scenes, a high-tech server room full of blinking lights, an art-deco movie theater, meeting rooms, freight elevators, kitchens, a large warehouse full of shelves of stuff, and a second empty warehouse used as a parking garage. No one was there on the weekends, so we could set up a meeting room as our production office and just run around the building grabbing shots as quickly as possible.

There have been several who have used public places from public parks to cemeteries. Some have a collection of costumes. One who won years ago had a portion of the story or concept written with the ability to adapt to the chosen keyword and genre.

Since I don't know what genre I'll be filming I have no clue what sort of location to secure. Any ideas for a nice versatile (and affordable) location?
You choices are to either line up a couple different options for locations ahead of time, and use the one (or two) that work best based on the genre you wind up with, or fly by the seat of your pants, and like Ed says, "Do it on the night"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmyQDH_PSC4#t=1m3.5s

;)

Did not say how legal it was. Only telling what happened. Would not be surprised if others do to a limited degree. I wasn't associated with it, but was at a screening a while after it won and had one of the producers explain what they did.

We actually had a local 24 hour competition where they give each team a couple of tiny buttons that have to be worn by the actors in each scene. If you don't know what they are you probably wouldn't even notice them, but they make it really obvious to the judges that the project was at least shot entirely as part of the competition.

But yeah - the way I see it, if you're not going to take on the challenge as presented, why do it at all? Why not just make the film you were going to make anyway, and save yourself the entry fee.

We actually had a local 24 hour competition where they give each team a couple of tiny buttons that have to be worn by the actors in each scene. If you don't know what they are you probably wouldn't even notice them, but they make it really obvious to the judges that the project was at least shot entirely as part of the competition.

But yeah - the way I see it, if you're not going to take on the challenge as presented, why do it at all? Why not just make the film you were going to make anyway, and save yourself the entry fee.

The pins are a brilliant idea!

I was actually asked yesterday if I had any story ideas that I could adapt to various genres and while I may have a few ideas floating around in my head at the moment I actually want to go at this with a blank slate in my head. I want the challenge. No shortcuts.

It's crazy isn't it? So many people are cheating. The entire point is
to challenge yourself. I have spoken to people here in L.A. who shoot
almost the entire film a few weeks before the date, then add the
necessary elements and plug them in.

A challenge in itself, I guess. But I don't get it. I love the challenge.

Try to visit the Unique Miracle Mile Property in 5401Olympic. It provides all the drama and character needed in a classy home with perfect simplicity and rustic feel to it. It is an affordable but versatile filming location that you are looking for.
Two things to consider when responding to a post:

Look at the date. Dave asked for advice over a year ago.
Look at the location. Dave was looking for a location in his area.
Your suggestion that he visit a location in Los Angeles seems
a little out of his area.

Back