• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

4 page FX heavy script

After watching the short film in this thread
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=31013

I was inspired to basically rip it off. :) Not really, but definitely I was inspire by it. Of course I have a completely different story but many of the archetypal images are similar, as they are with many Frankenstein type story elements.

If youd like to read it..
http://www.devilinthedesert.com/files/PowerUp.pdf

I plan on shooting this next month. Closing details on awesome location today.

Questions you could answer for me if you want....

Is the ending a surprise?

Is my style of writing distracting, simple or just dull?

Does it feel "complete?"

Thanks

I see the inspiration and not a rip off.

Ending is a predictable yet pleasant surprise. It's within the realm of expected.
Dead/alive human or clone or whatever - yeah. Good.
Reboot of old, cast away or refurbished robot - equally fine.

To push the story over the top (I'm less than sublime) intercut two stories.
One - just what you have here. A-OK. Beautiful and perfect. Will be rockin' great VFX.
Two - blip on flashes of scenes of flashbacks, memories, clues from the past and in the workshop as to their relationship.
Is she modeled after his daughter?
Is she a childhood "friend" lost for decades?
Did he pull her from the dump and will add her to his collection of fellow "bots" now watching from the workshop/lab's dark recesses?

Writing for yourself is fine. Whatchugot is cool. You're not writing a spec screenplay to market, so it don't matter.

Not complete, but certainly 80% there. As in many things, it's that last 20% that make the difference!

Thanks rayw,

In the interest of getting something done, Ill pass on adding any more plot points, though your idea of the flash back is intriguing. In fact, As I know this will be a long time in the editing, so I may very well pickup that thread after Iv got this script footage in the can..

Sure I'm writing for myself, but OTHERS do have to read it, and its like my mom always said, "study for the job you want, not the one you have!" I want to grow and improve. Also, I like to keep my personal scripts tight as possible. So any "bad form" points would be appreciated.

Does it feel "complete?"

Thanks

I like it! Written very descriptive - in a good way, reading turned to scanning as the intensity peaked, to find out what was happening next! Had a nice blend of standard frankenstein, combined with a 'Matrixy I-Robot' touch. A fresh slant.

I agree with a possible development of back story could make it more personal!

Thumbs up nice work!

Nice job Wheat!

It's like a sci-fi version of House MD! :D

I don't have many recommendations to make because I think a lot of it will depend on how it's shot and edited but what I thought might work as a nice touch is if, after we see the serial number at the end, you go back to a shot of the girl with a tear rolling down her face. The image before was poignant because it happened just as she was waking up but once you put it into the context of her being a robot then it takes on a whole new significance.

Just a thought... I'd love to see this made and don't see why you can't!

After watching the short film in this thread
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=31013

I was inspired to basically rip it off. :) Not really, but definitely I was inspire by it. Of course I have a completely different story but many of the archetypal images are similar, as they are with many Frankenstein type story elements.

I viewed the clip and read the comments. I have to say that while it was visually very impressive, it wasn't much of a movie. I was disappointed in that it was more of a scene than a story. Some of the reviewers read into a lot of interpretation that wasn't evident. I love watching some of the posts, but sometimes I think that the awesomeness of the visual effects and portrayal overlooks the important point needed to impress a live audience--a story. As visually impressive as "Depart from Me" appears, as a viewer, all I came away with was a body is reanimated(?) then dies in a burst of flames. Lots of questions and no answers. Perhaps that speaks more to the 'Avant Garde' film question raised a while back--visually impressive without a cohesive story.

If youd like to read it..
http://www.devilinthedesert.com/files/PowerUp.pdf

I plan on shooting this next month. Closing details on awesome location today.

Questions you could answer for me if you want....
Does it feel "complete?"
Thanks

Was the ending a surprise? It was one of many expected endings though not predictable from what you presented.

The writing, given that you are going to be producing it, is direct and visual. I'm not sure if you say 'girl' you also need to specify 'female'. :) It captured my interest and kept me reading.

Now you asked the difficult question--"Is it complete?" For me the answer is no. As a 'scene', we see a scientist reviving a little girl. That's all it is, a scene. When people suggested the backstory, it's because they want something for resolution.

For me, you have this transparent screen that could be used for full advantage. Why the green goop?

Here's a question--what if the robot wanted to kill itself? What if the tear is because it didn't want to be revived? What if this scientist was a pedophile who creates an 'artificial child' that he can abuse 'safely' since technically it's artificial. Could it have 'real' feelings? So intercuts on the transparent screen we see abusive scenes intermittently. In a final sequence, we see it deliberately using the green goop to destroy itself. Then when he successfully revives it, you see the tear as he takes it by the hand and leads it from the lab.

In this case the audience is seeing past and present playing out simultaneously. The robot willing itself to die and the scientist fighting to resurrect it increasingly in the middle. What starts out as innocent turns sinister. And in the end, he wins. We feel a reversal--originally sorrow for the 'old scientist' then a growing revulsion.

I want to be clear. I'm not saying you should film child abuse! If you were to take this approach, you should probably change the age. There are ways to portray him being abusive towards the robot that might lead the it to feel hopeless and helpless with 'deactivation' as an escape. She/It is quite literally his 'property' and totally objectified. It's a very dark turn which provokes the audience to think.

As Nick picked up on, the tear is a visual anchor. Use it well to tie the beginning to the end. Ray and others echoed an 'incompleteness'. We know what's in it for him essentially. What's in it for her? Answer that question and you have a sure winner.

In a 'happily ever after' movie, the scientist would get his comeuppance. However, life isn't always fair. This will certainly be itching powder for the audience if ended negatively. As it stands right now, it gets a shrug for leading to an expected though not predicted conclusion.

Ok, if I were going to do a 'comeuppance ending', I might have it hug him and the hug keeps getting tighter. He struggles, loses his cane. He might beat her revealing her metal face a la Terminator and they both die with the sparks flying all around them. Yeah, comeuppance doesn't mean happy ending. But, your audience will appreciate the closure and leave without itching powder.

I can see what you wrote happening, but it would be great to have something come full circle or leave us feeling satisfied. As is, it plays more like a cool idea than a complete short/story. Wouldn't take much to do a little redrafting and tinkering to craft a tighter film.

Some good ideas up above. :)

No matter what you decide to do, Wheat, I know you'll get 'er done!

Well, give me some ideas that are NOT dark, Iv had about my fill of negativity for a while, I want to make something with light. Understanding that without darkness there is no light.

Just free riffing here..

Maybe the bigger story is around the sweet relationship, transcending flesh\machine. Sorta an acceptance that simulacrum are as real as our love makes them.

Or, robots have feelings too.

So maybe its a fathers desire to recreate his lost child (losing the child can be the darkness, maybe he experimented with her and it killed her. In his obsession he loses everything to recreate her, only to find something NEW someting he can love and that loves him back.

Open to ideas, but like I said, Iv had enough of dark\down endings for a while.

Just flip it a bit. Use the screen to show positive scenes. Build it up in Act two where he is fighting to save her and it all seems to fail. Have him pull out a cable and stick it into his neck from the console. The scene continues to play out but he collapses to the ground and she recovers. Act Three, she awakens, removes her own cable and goes to him. The screen blips on and there is a grainy picture of him smiling at her with his hand out. She races over and takes a cable, struggles with it, and plugs it into him. More lights flickering. The screen with his image goes blank and the lights dim then slowly raise. Then his eyes blink open. He smiles up at her and she hugs him. She grabs his cane and the two robots hold hands and exit.

The nature of the story is up to you. It just needs to bring closure to whatever you open with. A paternal sacrifice of one machine for another has an odd satisfaction. Especially since we don't suspect him of being a robot until the all-or-nothing climax. Then the resurrection. Yeah, it's pretty melodramatic (and predictable) but it's positive. ;)

It's hard to start with a dark scene in the beginning and make it seem bright. Lighting in a movie is a powerful visual anchor. That's why I suggest that you have them exit into a brighter room which is metaphorically a "brighter tomorrow". Having the lights come back up is another way.

The screen simply displays memory engrams. Possible scenes: her playing with a puppy. Then something happening where she is deactivated. We see her being reactivated by the Professor. Maybe a trip to the zoo. Then we see something happening to her which causes her to end up as we saw in the beginning.

It didn't have to be dark! :) Again, what does he want and what does she want?

Getting difficult to distinguish story from presentation, now!

I think the same story, as is could be shot in both light and dark ways.
Perhaps many of us are focusing on the presentation of the inspirational material and extrapolating that darkness onto this scenario.
Maybe.

Light?
I can do light.

Same story - kinda.
Watch Jean-Pierre Jeunet's AMELIE.

Tears of joy. Of relief. Of appreciation.
Upon resurrection have several other bot girls rush "Daddy" and peer over his shoulder at their new sister.
SteadiCam shot glides around from front to back revealing all have like/kind jacks, plugs and UPC product bars at their napes. (only a smidgen cliche).

Not much additional complexity there in the editing bay (And we know you have a talent pool about the house. Aye carumba! In spades!)!

A subtle progressive lighting change coupled with score should help sell it.

Result: Failure
Queuing test formulation 240 ...

LOL! Great.

But what happened to:
Well, give me some ideas that are NOT dark, Iv had about my fill of negativity for a while, I want to make something with light.

Open to ideas, but like I said, Iv had enough of dark\down endings for a while.

Repeating this exhaustive process for the two-hundred-fortieth time ain't exactly "The Hills Are Alive With The Sound of Music" material.

Hey, nice work, Wheatgrinder.

I liked it. "Victorian style clothes?" Does that mean this is steampunk? If so, nice!

Not trying to be a grammar or a spelling nazi (as if I had the know-how to be either!), but just trying to help out with some of the grunt work:

There a couple instances in which you use the plural of scientist when I think you mean the singular. Also, there's at least one instance when you forget an apostrophe to indicate the possessive. Same with Girl, Girls and Girl's.

Another thing, perhaps this is just me being dumb or expecting to be spoon fed, but I had a little difficulty with the following two descriptions:

Unnoticed, the large, cracked and aged "transparent" projection screen, semi opaque with grime, flickers to life then quickly returns to sleep mode.

And...

The Scientist concentrates on the girl, a "blip" on the EKG
screen passes unnoticed. He sighs deeply and presses the
off button.

Of course, I understand that, presumably, you mean that the scientist doesn't notice, not that we, the viewers, don't notice. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm dead wrong about this, but if so, someone can correct me. I was reading along and when I got to those I had to take a moment to be sure I was oriented correctly as far as who and what was supposed to be not noticing something or going unnoticed by whom, or...er... Well, I'm feeling that the way it's written now would be fine for a prose novel or a short story, but I'm wondering if in a screenplay it wouldn't be best to make this more explicit. Something like: The scientist doesn't notice the EKG blip, etc. That way the action(?) is crystal clear. Then again, I'm not the sharpest tool-- Hey! I saw you nodding. That hurts my feelings. So anyways, maybe I'm just quibbling with your perfectly fine writing style.

As for the tear, I had no problem imagining that the tear was simply due to her wanting to live or to be re-animated and also being frustrated or despairing at its difficulty or possible failure. Maybe she's longing to live, but things aren't looking to good for that happening.

I agree that even for short films a three act story structure is naturally and bound to be more satisfying for the viewer just as it is more satisfying when feature films have that structure, as opposed to something that's simply a scene or a sequence. However, it's not a rule, right? Anyway, it would grossly limit the short film form and filmmakers' options if we required them to have that, wouldn't it? Okay, part of that opinion is my own fear of trying to successfully write a short film with a...gasp!...plot. It's intimidating.

I guess I'm leerly of the ending, that is to say, the bit about revealing the product model, serial number, and company logo. If this is a world, say, in the not so distant future, I feel like it then begs the question: why the heck didn't he just call Robot Daughters R Us Twenty-Four Hour Repair Service Hotline? If this is steampunk, even though I'm hardly familiar with it, I can't say I'm very thrilled about this particular anachronistic placement of Twentieth and Twenty-First Centuries material culture into a nineteenth century Victorian England(?) type setting (or time)...even if anachronism is the name of the game in steampunk. And it would still beg the question (for me) as to why he didn't simply make that call. On the other hand, I do understand that if you did place this within a larger story, you could imagine these two to be the last remaining survivors in a post apocalyptic world (or something), in which case Robot Daughters R Us would no longer exist. That makes me think of WALL-E.

Hope production and everything else goes great for you.

Last edited:
yeay rayw, that was a dark turn just for the crew here..
but its a cure hes testing, so she can live... etc..

Yes, steampunk\fallout3 is the look, but more shabby..
The GIRL and The SCIENTIST were originally placeholders for names, but I never got around to picking out real names (yet) so the read is a bit awkward.

Iv since addressed some of the "-ing" words and similar.

The oddness around the scientist not noticing something has been bugging me too, I have a solution, but I like yours as well. The fact is that its up to an actor to "not notice" something, I should just describe the action, if the character doesn't react to it, then DE FACTO its unnoticed. Stupid noob scripts 101 mistake.

I dig your point about the brand\model\sn identity being at odds with the "one off" craftsmanship of steampunkery, Ill chew on that. Though in defense, perhaps THIS IS THE BOTS-R-US repairman? Ill also argue about their being readily available repair services availability in a stempunk Victorian era. Early on, normal people didnt own cars, you had to be rich enough to have an on estate mechanic or be a tinker your self. Same with steam ships, when a boiler goes out at sea, you fixed it.... but regardless..

The Brand \ Model \ SN imagery is very efficient way to communicate that this is a MADE THING. I was thinking that it might just say "PROTOTYPE" or something.. What are some other way to comm that?

Last edited:
:P I was wondering why he didn't just call the Geak Squad. But that the scientist is the Geak Squad, sort of, is cool, too. I think I was off...or just wrong. It is a strong image and an efficient way to communicate what you want. I like your point about owning one of the first automobiles or fixing the boiler when it's up to you and you alone to get 'er done. Who says that that doesn't fit steampunk? Who says that having a product model, serial number, and company logo means that there should be support provided by that company or by whomever? Not necessarily. So I'm sure I was wrong. Sorry. I think you're right that you have tons of elbow room to make that work right. I too was inspired by "Depart from Me," and I love that your making this short. Best of luck.

Ok, I internalized some of the comments, thanks all.

I made some BIG changes. Funny thing it will film almost exactly the same, but the story has better depth and closure. Its not a complete "up" ending, more biter sweet, which I'm good with.

It really is a new story (same setting, new characters), so if you don't mind read this one with fresh eyes..

http://www.devilinthedesert.com/files/PowerUp_V2.pdf

Open question:

Is there enough info to know when the action is happening in relation to the back story?

D@MN EXCELLENT!

You've upgraded to adopt many proper screenplay format points - and - the story is much improved in "depth" making all the difference.

The "Renowned Inventor Fired In Disgrace" line is a little cheesy and would benefit from some additional consideration.
Maybe suggest an ethics issue: "Renowned Inventor Fired for Ethics Violations".

Action/back story balance is fine.
I was able to keep right along with how the story should go, even with the back to back intercuts.
Got it.

Now go with it!

Back