3D camera comments?

Okay, my typical three sentence background first (for I am not rich, famous or care to be -- I just have a blast making stuff).

I have made some small, very low-budget movies. Those in the know, tell me that my main weakness in those past movies has been mostly the writing; not the 'everything' else. So I have spent the last five years exclusively on scriptwriting, re-writing and polishing (then re-writing and polishing again and again...etc) several possible new projects.

Now I want to dive into making those new movies, with an attempt at the widest, low-budget, indie market possible.

RED cameras are way out of my range so for a while I was leaning towards a PMW-EX3. But, they too are way out of my price range, because I like to work with multiple cameras (and the 35 Mbps is beyond my current editing system's capability).

Then I looked into the Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM. I can edit easily in AVCHID and author right into BluRay. I use tripods (and dollies for camera movement when needed) -- thus avoiding the 3CMOS smear from some cam movement. And with the NX5U, three cameras are almost doable.

Then I heard about the Sony HDR-TD10 full HD 3D cam. Yeah, 3D. It knocks down the Mbps to 28 (and in a new format which I can not immediately edit -- software is in development), but the TD10 will also shoot 24 Mbps (but with only two CMOS 1/4 Sensors) in AVCHID for direct to BluRay (on my editing system) replication.

This camera is inexpensive, 3 would be affordable, plus, give me the ability to have 3D BluRay, BluRay and SD for direct to DVD sales.

I am partial to Sony. So my question is -- would there be a market for direct-to-DVD in 3D BluRay material from such a low cost camera ??? I have read the reviews from the CES saying that the camera is pretty awesome...

But is 3D going to help or hinder in sales? Is it a fad or will it enhance sales of extremely, low-budget movies? Is this cam worth using at such a low price? The URL below has info on the camera... Your comments? Please.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666294297

3D was big in the 50s too... didn't last... I'm curious to see if it stays salient. I personally don't think so.

That said, one bigger, better camera would serve you better than 3 mediocre kitschy (IMHO) 3D cameras that can potentially limit your distribution channels. Learn a single camera workflow and don't look back. That's my US$0.02 :) Whatever you decide though, I want to see you succeed at it!

Got to agree with knightly about having one decent camera versus three cheaper ones. Shooting with three 3D cameras sounds like an absolute nightmare, both on set and in post.k

3D is a beast to tackle. The point and shoot 3D isn't great, you need to be able to control where the "center" of the screen is and the cheaper cameras you can't do that.

3D is here to stay, especially in theaters. As far as DVD's it's not catching on yet. Still a little new, but because of audience reaction to 3D and 4k technology getting less expensive, manufacturers are starting to prepare for 4k as the next push. 3D will still be there and the 3d players and glasses going down in price will help sell it, but it will be as a feature of a nice tv, as opposed to what "defines" a nice tv.

Can any of those cameras allow you to pull IO distance and convergence angles? Without the capacity to control those variables during a shot, 3D looks like flat cut-outs, very little definition of depth on an individual object, even if they are rendered somewhat on different planes of action.

Shooting 3D also requires special considerations for lighting, art direction, and set design. I can't imagine trying to wrangle 3 3D cameras given all of that. I can be done, but definitely not a walk in the park.

Hey, thanks for all the comments and suggestions above; gave me some things to think about.

If you checked out the URL for the camera, you'll know that the cam will not be out until March/April.

I am still looking for specific info on the specs and how manual one can go with this camera cause I always work in the manual settings for more control (with additional lighting and external audio equipment). The camera is so cheap, 'relatively' speaking (to experiment with); I also shoot a lot of family stuff, event and low-budget commercial projects... 3D does look like it will be around for a while. Right now there are not many 3D titles on the racks, (virtually none in the low-budget, indie creative world) or those offering indie services... I am always thinking along the lines of providing fresh technology (while at the same time providing content in standard 1080p and SD formats).

Thanks again for the above responses, I can't wait to get my hands on a HDR-TD10 loaner to see what it can do.

Back