35mm dof adapter?

Im looking to get a cheap 35mm/dof adapter for my canon hv30. I was thinking either to get a used redrock m2 for 300-400 on ebay or just a cheap one new like the twoneil or EnCinema. I see on ebay theirs this one called the Cam35. Has any one tryed it out? Its only 120 for the static version I want to try it out but i dont want a crappy adapter. The only tests of it are from the company itself? Any one have suggestions?

I have a Jag35 and Shrigg Rig thats about to go on ebay. The Jag has the vibrating motor and separate power pack. I was using it with a Canon HF200 so you wouldnt need an adapter.
PM me if your interested.

three years ago static maybe

I loved my letus extreme and cannon hfs100 I got some SWEET footage, but sold it all for dslr.
The rotating are best.

That's the thing, even a cheapie on ebay is about what you'd pay for a GH1. And btw, all GH1's are apparently hackable now. 40 mb/sec bit rates, 4:2:2 color space? Not bad for $399.

three years ago static maybe

Quality and functionality continuum for 35mm adapters.

static --> vibrating --> rotating

For lower cost rotating check out..

http://cgi.ebay.com/35mm-Dof-Adapte...565?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e63963e1d

I loved my letus extreme and cannon hfs100 I got some SWEET footage, but sold it all for dslr.
The rotating are best.

So is every one switching over to dslrs now? im thinking maby to sell my Hv40 and get like a t2i or somthing?

If you're prepared to spend $500 dollars just for DOF, while sacrificing autofocus, losing stops of exposure, and putting a giant weight on the end of your camera, you won't be bothered by DSLR's well-known (and well-compensated for) shortcomings. I considered a DOF adapter for a while, but I just couldn't justify the cost.

If you're prepared to spend $500 dollars just for DOF, while sacrificing autofocus, losing stops of exposure, and putting a giant weight on the end of your camera, you won't be bothered by DSLR's well-known (and well-compensated for) shortcomings. I considered a DOF adapter for a while, but I just couldn't justify the cost.

I agree. As I've stated before, DOF adapters were a great stop-gap device, but they're no longer worth the expense and hassle with the rise of low cost DSLRs. Most of the advantages of using a camera designed for video go away when using a DOF adapter anyway.

So is every one switching over to dslrs now? im thinking maby to sell my Hv40 and get like a t2i or somthing?

No, not everybody is switching over. I'd take my EX3/Nanoflash with a Ultimate/Relay over a DSLR... but maybe that's because I already own them.. I dunno. I'm a sucker for having a front heavy rig that is overpriced :)

No, not everybody is switching over. I'd take my EX3/Nanoflash with a Ultimate/Relay over a DSLR... but maybe that's because I already own them.. I dunno. I'm a sucker for having a front heavy rig that is overpriced :)

I used to own an EX3, indeed, they are still badass. And with a nano? Off the hook.

But these days, yes, I'm a GH2 kool aider.

Last edited:
In general practice, I use a DSLR for MCU's and closer usually and a regular video camera for wides. This eliminates much of the aliasing issues with DSLR's (well, Canon's anyway) and the bokeh is typical typical of similar shots in film. Getting the two cameras somewhat matched is the hard part.

Back