35mm adapter. What can I see in the picture?

Hey Guys!

I recently bought a Brevis35 Adapter and have Nikon lenses (28mm / 50mm / 150mm).
Since I've never used an adapter in the past I have the following 2 questions:

1. What is the adapter specifically going to do to the video? I know it is used to create a shallow depth of field (like on 35mm film) but can't I get just about the same effect (or very close to it) by just adjusting the camera lens' focus? What's the difference?

2. So I got the adapter, read the manual and watched several online tutorials on how to mount it and got it mounted. Now, I turned it on but can't really see any difference in the picture. What should I look for? What's it supposed to do? How can I test if it's mounted correctly?

If anyone knows, please help!

A 35mm adapter is just that. It allows you to use lenes made for 35mm cameras, depending on the mount. You have a Nikon mount. Now you can interchange lenses.

A 35mm adapter is just that. It allows you to use lens made for 35mm cameras, depending on the mount. You have a Nikon mount. Now you can interchange lenses.

Thanks for the prompt response. Yes, but then what's the need of turning it on and off? When I mounted it, I was able to see through the Nikon lens without turning it on.

I'm using a Panasonic HPX170 with an external field monitor. After I setup the 35mm adapter and mount a Nikon lens, I can pretty much use the lens and adjust the focus, even when the adapter is turned off. So, what's the whole purposes of turning the adapter on/off (a device inside starts vibrating)?

turning on the adapter moves the grain. if u dont have it on youll get a flat grainy picture. you wont see it in ur monitors, do a test shot and ull see the diff

Yes, the vibration (or spinning on some) is to stop you from seeing any small defect or dust on the lens by constantly changing it's position. With the lens stationary it will look "grainy".

Don't forget to set the backfocus.

Shallow depth of field is just that, shallow. The fixed lens on the camera, with something in the foreground in focus, it may be some distance behind them before the image starts to lose focus, with a very shallow lens (like most prime lenses), something a foot behind them might start ro go soft.

Back