$3000 to spend on Canon Lenses

Hi gang,

Haven't been around for a few months, had uni exams and so on. Anywho, I won a Canon competition (I will release the film here soon)! Part of the prize is $3000 (NZD) of Canon vouchers to spend on "Canon DSLR, Video Camera, Lenes, Printers, Paper, inks." I have a GH3 that I am perfectly happy with, and, to be honest, I'm pretty happy with my set of vintage primes. But i figure it makes the most sense to invest in glass (I don't need a printer or related stuff). However, I have never really been a huge Canon fan, so I'm a little unsure where to start.

Advice anyone?

Maybe you could pick up some lenses, then resell them, and spend that money in areas you are lacking in? :)

That's an interesting idea. If you could flip them and get a decent sum for them, perhaps that would be best for you. Since you don't care for Canon, maybe you should turn them into gear better suited for your GH3.

Canon would probably prefer the winner of their film contest for Canon gear not be too loud about that, though. ;) Or maybe they couldn't care less.

Yeah, congrats on winning! Hope to get to see it when you post it.

Canon would probably prefer the winner of their film contest for Canon gear not be too loud about that, though. ;) Or maybe they couldn't care less.
The woman on the phone sounded a little put out when she asked what I'd shot it on, but I don't think they'd care as long as I didn't make toooo much noise :P

Maybe you could pick up some lenses, then resell them, and spend that money in areas you are lacking in? :)
That's a pretty good idea, actually. Any ideas on what would have good resale value?

I think to use Canon glass on a GH3 you need an adapter. Not 100% sure though...

I can spend USD $400 approx of it for you...

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12140-USA/Canon_2515A003_50mm_f_1_4_USM_Autofocus.html

And congrads on winning the contest. :)

That is correct.

And thanks for the suggestion!

What lenses do you already have that you really like?

I like my Helios 58mm and Minolta 40mm. I have a Canon FD 24mm, but I'm not a huge fan of that, so i'll look to replace that length I guess. I also have a Zenitar 16mm I haven't had the chance to test yet (adapter has not arrived)

The 70-200 f/2.8 II L makes very nice pictures, super sharp, great color, I'd definitely recommend it, but you really can't go wrong with anything L series, just depends on your needs.

You won't have a great time with modern Canon glass on your Panasonic.

Have you thought about using it towards a second camera? You can snag a body and a lens or two or three.

Alternatively, you can sell them yes. As far as what sells well I'd check completing ebay listings in your market.

The 70-200 f/2.8 II L makes very nice pictures, super sharp, great color, I'd definitely recommend it, but you really can't go wrong with anything L series, just depends on your needs.

Thanks for the suggestion, ill look into it!

You won't have a great time with modern Canon glass on your Panasonic.

Have you thought about using it towards a second camera? You can snag a body and a lens or two or three.

Alternatively, you can sell them yes. As far as what sells well I'd check completing ebay listings in your market.

Why is this? Because of needing an adapter?

I have briefly considered a second camera, but I really don't need one at this stage.

You can adapt easily, but seeing as they're all built for Canon bodies you won't be able to control the aperture, use autofocus or image stabilization (for lenses that have it). They rely on a signal and power from the body for these things and you won't get that with an adapter.

If you're looking to flip for money, instead of buying lenses, you'll have more buyers for canon cameras, like 5Ds or 7Ds.

Random thought: does anyone know if hacked RAW 5Ds sell for more than brand new 5Ds? A few years back I had an iphone for a year and a half, then hacked/jailbroke it and sold it on ebay for more than I originally bought it for.

If you're looking to flip for money, instead of buying lenses, you'll have more buyers for canon cameras, like 5Ds or 7Ds.

Random thought: does anyone know if hacked RAW 5Ds sell for more than brand new 5Ds? A few years back I had an iphone for a year and a half, then hacked/jailbroke it and sold it on ebay for more than I originally bought it for.

They do not.

I'd flip the voucher, if I could - that'd be a lot easier. However, it's not *really* a voucher. I tell them what products I want for the value of $3000, and they send them to me. I never have an actual voucher.

Cheers.

And I did wonder if that may be the case. I have a few friends wanting bodies, so I think, if they can afford it soon, I'll buy on behalf of them and give it to them at a reduced amount.

If anyone here was looking to buy anything Canon related, I could buy on your behalf, and sell to you at 80% of cost?

Yeah, while canon generally warrants all their gear, not having a US warranty in the US is generally called "gray market", which is more difficult to sell in the warranty period.

Cheers.

And I did wonder if that may be the case. I have a few friends wanting bodies, so I think, if they can afford it soon, I'll buy on behalf of them and give it to them at a reduced amount.

If anyone here was looking to buy anything Canon related, I could buy on your behalf, and sell to you at 80% of cost?

I would be interested in doing that, though paying for something in this way would probably be a hassle.

I hope postage from NZ to AUS isn't too much

Back