• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

plot 3 very different Acts, is this a problem?

Hi.

I am working on a feature-length superhero film, and after reading the script again, I just realized something that might be a problem. The movie is split into 3 acts, and each act feels almost as if it is it's own movie. In short, act 1 the characters reincarnate a bunch and fight dinosaurs, in act 2 the main character tries to find his place in the world, and act 3 is mostly a final battle to save the main character's kind of enemy because it's the right thing to do.

Each act feels like it's own movie, and I'm not sure if that's a problem or not. Is it? Of course they connect via lines and callbacks, but not all the time.

At this point there is no way to know. Only reading the entire script will tell if this is a problem.

Is the main character prominent if the first act? But even if the main character is first introduced in act 2 it might work.

What specifically is happening in the film is rarely as integral to the cohesiveness of the whole thing as having a solid throughline. If the whole thing needs each part to get the message across, and the tone is consistent throughout, then you're golden.

Back