• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

24p is it really necessary?

Getting ready to shoot a low budget feature and sending out feelers to see what type of camera to shoot it on, like I said it's a LOW budget feature, I'm hearing 24p is the best grade to shoot if we are sending it to festivals or the slim chance of anyone wanting to buy it and distribute it, any truth to this? Or can we accomplish the same with a more inexpensive option?

24P stands for 24 frames per second Progressive image. 35mm and 16mm film shot at 24 frames per second and that is the most common aesthetic choice for narrative film work because there is over 100 years of viewers seeing things in that format for narrative storytelling.

When people attempt to break that, with the perfect example of Soap Operas being shot in 60i, which is 60 interlaced fields, also known as the dreaded VIDEO LOOK, the audience, even with no technical knowledge, do not accept the image as well.

i suggest to go to a video store, and compare 24, 30 and 60 fps videos, you ll see the difference.

you can shoot whatever frames you want to, but, as mr. sonnyboo mentioned, anything other than 24fps looks different from what you re used to, especially in movie theater setting.

Getting ready to shoot a low budget feature and sending out feelers to see what type of camera to shoot it on, like I said it's a LOW budget feature, I'm hearing 24p is the best grade to shoot if we are sending it to festivals or the slim chance of anyone wanting to buy it and distribute it, any truth to this? Or can we accomplish the same with a more inexpensive option?

We always say "camera isn't as important as.....", BUT if you can't afford a camera that shoots 24P (i.e. you're shooting on a flip or some other really low grade $250 consumer camera), then you are a long way from being ready to shoot a feature.

We always say "camera isn't as important as.....", BUT...

Agreed, and I’m definitely one of those people who feel that the camera is not as important as a solid script and a talented cast/crew.

That said, I’d never shoot anything intended for public viewing in any mode other than 24p, and certainly not in any interlaced mode. Plus, the OP made no mention of HD here. There’s no reason to shoot SD now, and a lot of the cameras that shoot HD (consumer, prosumer or DSLR) will have the option to shoot in some form of a 24p mode. Best to use it for the “film look”, I know I would.

i ll echo gonzo as well. if you want to make some money - you gotta spend some money. Find 24frames per second camera, but spend healthy chunk of your money on sound eq

i can watch a 30fps movie with no problem, but if it has poor sound - dvd goes in the garbage can.

Last edited:
If you're not going to get distribution on the film don't waste money on a "fancy" camera...

While, again, I do agree with this, it doesn't take a "fancy" camera to shoot HD 1080/24p. A quick search uncovered this on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-Vixia...rofessional_Video_Cameras&hash=item4aae4da93a

Not the greatest, but it'll shoot 24p, in HD. If the OP already has a camera to hand, that doesn't shoot at 24p, and they're not intending their work for public screening (or they're at least not trying to get money from their film) then, sure, use that. But if they've got to pick up a camera, they may as wll aim for something that can do it. Why not?

The OP stated that they want to send this project to festivals in the hopes that somebody will want to distribute it. That said, I would suggest renting a better camera rather than buying a lesser one for the same cash outlay. To answer the originally stated question, for the intentions that you have stated, yes.

Thanks for all your responses on our original question about shooting with a 24p HD camera for festivals and possibly getting acquired by a distributor. Our project requires a "video" look, much like "Paranormal Activity" and "Cloverfield", it's a fictional docu-drama. Our question is, can we / should we achieve that in post as opposed to having to use a specific kind of camera in order to achieve that look?

Casey, I'm hearing a lot of 'tech talk and getting into festivals' but not much about your story.

Maybe you do have that GREAT story already but if you don't, 24fps isn't going to save you.

When festival screeners view your submission, they're not going to be thinking "oh boy, 24 fps!!!" They WILL, however, be praying "please, please, please let this not be another crappy story!" :)

Good luck though.

Our project requires a "video" look, much like "Paranormal Activity" and "Cloverfield", it's a fictional docu-drama.
Both those movies have very different looks.

"Paranormal Activity" was shot with the Sony FX1 - you could get
that camera.

Some of "Cloverfield" was shot using the Panasonic AG-HVX200 - you
could get that camera. Most of that movie was shot with Sony's CineAlta
F23 and the Thomson VIPER. Cameras you would have to rent.

For festivals the frames per second doesn't matter. If you know you
will transferring to film for a theatrical release you should shoot 24p.
But if you want the "video" look, shooting 29.97i will be fine for film
festivals.

So, I think I understand this 24p stuff now. I guess if you shoot in 24p it will give you a somewhat film look without shooting on film but the biggest advantage is that if someone does decide to distribute it theatrically and blow it up, then shooting in 24p will make that process much easier... right?

Guerrilla Angel, we couldn't agree more. We understand how important story and character are. We also understand the enormous odds that are against any film getting into a major festival, then getting bought, then getting marketed correctly, then getting good reviews, then getting people to go see it... we just want to be prepared for the best case scenario... I mean, what the heck, you only live once... (or do we?) (insert eerie theremin music)

directorik, you sound pretty knowledgable about this stuff. My roommate told me that if we shot in 24p that a "home video" look could be achieved in post with some kind of software. Are you aware of this?

Last edited by a moderator:
directorik, you sound pretty knowledgable about this stuff. My roommate told me that if we shot in 24p that a "home video" look could be achieved in post with some kind of software. Are you aware of this?
I would need to know what you mean. The two movies you mentioned
have such very different looks I don't understand what you mean by
"home video" look. It seems to me your roommate knows more than
I do about this. Ask him what software gives the look that you want.

Generally the look of "home movies" is the interlaced video we all grew
up with. Neither "Paranormal Activity" or "Cloverfield" were shot that
way - yet that's the look you want. As you know the "p" means
progressive as opposed to interlaced. Perhaps you shouldn't be shooting
progressive at all.

I just don't know because I don't get what you mean.

Do you have an older video camera available to you? How about shooting
some test footage to see if that's the look you are going for?

to OP:
its hard to explain what image you re going for. As directorik suggested, borrow some cameras, that shoot 24 fps, 30fps, HD, 16:9, 4:3, interlaced, progressive and see what you need.

this is a part of filmmaking. you re doing hands on research, instead of just asking around. experiment. you might get an idea for something different from what u originally planned.

Make your movie, and if festival will take it - then worry about film transfers, and ratios, p or i.. with todays technology with can reformat any kind of media for whatever you need.

good luck! :)

I guess what I mean by a video look is that there won't be any depth of field (?) like with a film camera. We won't be pulling any focus. It needs to seem as if it was shot using a home video camera. Hope that better explains the look and feel we're going for.

Back