2 XL2's for 1700

Is it worth doing it? I found someone on CL that was willing to sell them, but they don't do HD. I figure with the rich feature sets (interchangeable lenses, light sensitivity, and compression) it maybe worth going after.

I will be shooting some short films, doing interviews for a documentary, and so artsy weird stuff. If figure this would be a good starting point.

Thoughts? Other camera suggestions?

XL2 is almost 10 years old.
The lenses are light sensitive; that's true.
But present camera's have chips that have less noise and need less light to produce an image.

Can you still get tapes?
When was the tape-engine revised for the last time?

Do you want to put your projects on the web? In that case SD is old-fashioned and a pain in the a..: de-interlacing will result in an effective resolution of less than 360 pixels high.

Just make sure you buy lots of tapes online, because if you run out during a shoot it's difficult to find a store that sells them.

The only other thing I didn't like about them is that capturing the video on you computer happens in near real-time, so if you shot 4 hours of footage that day, don't expect to start editing until 4 hours after you start capturing.

Last edited:
You could get a nice DSLR for that price and do better "artsy weird stuff" but you would only be getting one camera vs 2, so you'd have to decide how important that B camera is .

Is it worth doing it? I found someone on CL that was willing to sell them, but they don't do HD. I figure with the rich feature sets (interchangeable lenses, light sensitivity, and compression) it maybe worth going after.

I will be shooting some short films, doing interviews for a documentary, and so artsy weird stuff. If figure this would be a good starting point.

Thoughts? Other camera suggestions?

They were great in their day, but not worth more than $500 each, or so, and you don't need two. Check to see if Canon even services the XL anymore so you don't end up with a paperweight that looks like a camera.

For $1700 or less you should be able to find a used XHA1s with accessories or go the DSLR route with separate audio.

Is there a DSLR that can take audio?

Camera suggestions would be appreciated. If I had the bread I would get the XL-H1 and call it a day

Many DSLR's can take audio but from what I've read they don't do it very well. You'll have to buy an H4N Zoom for around $300, or a Tascam DR-40 for about $160 and record audio separately and sync it up later.

As someone who's shot mini DV and DVCam for the past decade (and my last miniDV client quit around December), there's no way I'd buy a new MiniDV camera. DV was a fine format, but it's old now. MiniDV always had color compression issues even on the nicest cameras anyway.

It may be a bit of an exaggeration, but would you buy a Hi-8 or VHS Camera now if there were brand new cameras that shot HD formats (and HD/Memory Card formats) available for the same price that was current tech and under warranty, etc?

I remember using an XL1, it was a fine camera, and is a fine camera, but MiniDV is quickly becoming completely outdated, if not completely outdated already.

Whats everyone's thoughts on the XF100?

Funny you should mention that. In another thread I was asking for camera recommendations for a friend, and someone suggested the XF100 (among others). I researched several cameras in the 3k price range and determined that the XF100 was the best. He's ordered 2 of them but they haven't arrived yet so I can't give you a review, but there are plenty of other reviews out there. Philip Bloom's review of this camera was extremely helpful.

http://philipbloom.net/2011/07/09/video-review-of-the-canon-xa-10-xf100-and-xf105/

Back